5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby Hooligan » Thu May 26, 2016 10:09 am

The 5k staging area is an absolute disgrace. There is a big pile of garbage and the remains of a burnt out camper right in the middle of the lot. Then if you go up the little grass hill where Beer Bong starts, there is a ton of garbage left over from people shooting there?

Someone has placed a dumpster in the staging area but no idea who or how it gets hauled away.

Would it be in the club's interest to organize a public cleanup of the area? It would show the club and is bike riders are concerned about the area and are part of the solution, not part of the problem.

5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

Giles
Writer
Writer
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:06 pm

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby Giles » Thu May 26, 2016 2:00 pm

I think that is a great idea....I'm not even a club member (I keep meaning to join but then life happens) but would gladly help out with a clean up. Last night we staged out of Fisher South.......I'm not up to speed with trail names (never really cared or paid attention as I know many good loops) but last night we crossed the main rode from Fisher South and rode the trail that turns left just up the bank and goes through the clear cut. just after you cross the bridge (that is now REALLY tilted) some morons pushed a very large Camper down the steep grass hill, it is precariously perched there and will require some serious muscle yo yard it back up. Do you guys know where I cam talking? I can;t believe things like this would even cross someone mind!

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
RJHenry
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:17 pm
Location: Cochrane, AB

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby RJHenry » Thu May 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Gentlemen:

I think a cleanup is an excellent idea! We have a maintenance weekend coming up http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12077&p=84496 and this cleanup could be a great project in addition to the trail work projects we had planned.

We have funds for whatever resources are necessary - maybe a large rented dump trailer or a bin - either from fundraised amounts or possibly support from AEP - let me worry about that. The two main ingredients beyond that are leadership and volunteers.

Would you two fellows be willing to champion the cleanup and recruit a few bodies to help?

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
dirtyboy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member
Posts: 7822
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby dirtyboy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Giles wrote:I think that is a great idea....I'm not even a club member (I keep meaning to join but then life happens) but would gladly help out with a clean up. Last night we staged out of Fisher South.......I'm not up to speed with trail names (never really cared or paid attention as I know many good loops) but last night we crossed the main rode from Fisher South and rode the trail that turns left just up the bank and goes through the clear cut. just after you cross the bridge (that is now REALLY tilted) some morons pushed a very large Camper down the steep grass hill, it is precariously perched there and will require some serious muscle yo yard it back up. Do you guys know where I cam talking? I can;t believe things like this would even cross someone mind!

That's the end of Fisher Delight trail.

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
downunder366
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby downunder366 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Giles wrote:I think that is a great idea....I'm not even a club member (I keep meaning to join but then life happens) but would gladly help out with a clean up. Last night we staged out of Fisher South.......I'm not up to speed with trail names (never really cared or paid attention as I know many good loops) but last night we crossed the main rode from Fisher South and rode the trail that turns left just up the bank and goes through the clear cut. just after you cross the bridge (that is now REALLY tilted) some morons pushed a very large Camper down the steep grass hill, it is precariously perched there and will require some serious muscle yo yard it back up. Do you guys know where I cam talking? I can;t believe things like this would even cross someone mind!



I saw that camper through the week. Not even really sure how it got there. Did you get a chance to scope out and see how to get it to an accessible area? If not, when I am back in Calgary in two weeks I might see how I can get it out of there. I have a side x side, but I am not sure how effective it would be in towing it on that hill without breaking it up beforehand.
Does anyone know how the wrecked trailers/campers have been disposed of previously? I am thinking that a tilt tray and winch would work best and then take it directly to a scrap steel place.
Does anyone know who to contact to make sure there is not already a plan in place to remove it?
Ryan

16 KTM 350 XCF
#366

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

kjo417
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:30 am

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby kjo417 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:16 am

Hooligan wrote:The 5k staging area is an absolute disgrace. There is a big pile of garbage and the remains of a burnt out camper right in the middle of the lot. Then if you go up the little grass hill where Beer Bong starts, there is a ton of garbage left over from people shooting there?

Someone has placed a dumpster in the staging area but no idea who or how it gets hauled away.

Would it be in the club's interest to organize a public cleanup of the area? It would show the club and is bike riders are concerned about the area and are part of the solution, not part of the problem.


If you are interested in taking the lead on this for the weekend of June 18th/19th piece please let me know.

Thank you

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby Hooligan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:22 pm

I talked to RJ last night and I will lead this cleanup during the maintenance day. Really we'd just need a few bodies to help load all the sludge onto a trailer, which wouldn't take all that long.

This is what the area looked like a week ago.

Image

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby Hooligan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:23 pm

Hmmmm, the forum seems to have substituted the word "sludge" when I actually used the word "cr@p" :crazy:

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

boland
2018 RMDRA Member
2018 RMDRA Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:50 pm
Contact:

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby boland » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks for stepping up to organize this Hooligan! :nworthy:
KTM 300 XC
#184b
RMDRA Membership Director
I turn your name red

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
dirtyboy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member
Posts: 7822
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby dirtyboy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:52 am

Hooligan wrote:Hmmmm, the forum seems to have substituted the word "sludge" when I actually used the word "cr@p" :crazy:


I think that picture shows a bunch of garbage there. Keep it clean sir! :D

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
RJHenry
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:17 pm
Location: Cochrane, AB

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby RJHenry » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:42 am

Hooligan wrote:I talked to RJ last night and I will lead this cleanup during the maintenance day. Really we'd just need a few bodies to help load all the sludge onto a trailer, which wouldn't take all that long.

Thanks for the leadership Hooligan!

Any volunteers to help Mr. Hooligan in his noble cause?

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:24 am

dirtyboy wrote:
Hooligan wrote:Hmmmm, the forum seems to have substituted the word "sludge" when I actually used the word "cr@p" :crazy:


I think that picture shows a bunch of garbage there. Keep it clean sir! :D


Funny, coming from a guy with the name "dirty boy". :lol:

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

Hooligan
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:25 am

I am going to spearhead the cleanup at the 5K staging area for Saturday. We will prob look to get started there for 11am as I will have to go rent a trailer and then drive out to McLean.

It shouldn't take that long to pick up all the garbage at 5K if we have a few people to help out.

Anyone, anyone ...... Beuhler?

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
350scott
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:36 am

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby 350scott » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Hooligan wrote:I will have to go rent a trailer

You shouldn't have to rent a trailer. I know many members have open trailers you could use to haul garbage, and I'm certain they would happily lend it for this.

Can someone offer up a utility trailer for this (and a tarp would be great idea)?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2015 450XC-F
2014 300XC
2014 500/610XC-W (Snowbike)

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 

User avatar
axel99
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Scouting 2017 Dirtier Moose

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Postby axel99 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:39 pm

The city has been getting a little stricter on the "tarping of loads". Not sure what the fine is but I have been checked twice prior to entering the scales at the dump.
#Z3B

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.
 


Return to “Land Advocacy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest