5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Giles
Writer
Writer

Re: 5K Staging Area is a Disgrace

Post by Giles »

I think that is a great idea....I'm not even a club member (I keep meaning to join but then life happens) but would gladly help out with a clean up. Last night we staged out of Fisher South.......I'm not up to speed with trail names (never really cared or paid attention as I know many good loops) but last night we crossed the main rode from Fisher South and rode the trail that turns left just up the bank and goes through the clear cut. just after you cross the bridge (that is now REALLY tilted) some morons pushed a very large Camper down the steep grass hill, it is precariously perched there and will require some serious muscle yo yard it back up. Do you guys know where I cam talking? I can;t believe things like this would even cross someone mind!

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Gentlemen:

I think a cleanup is an excellent idea! We have a maintenance weekend coming up viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12077&p=84496 and this cleanup could be a great project in addition to the trail work projects we had planned.

We have funds for whatever resources are necessary - maybe a large rented dump trailer or a bin - either from fundraised amounts or possibly support from AEP - let me worry about that. The two main ingredients beyond that are leadership and volunteers.

Would you two fellows be willing to champion the cleanup and recruit a few bodies to help?

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Giles wrote:I think that is a great idea....I'm not even a club member (I keep meaning to join but then life happens) but would gladly help out with a clean up. Last night we staged out of Fisher South.......I'm not up to speed with trail names (never really cared or paid attention as I know many good loops) but last night we crossed the main rode from Fisher South and rode the trail that turns left just up the bank and goes through the clear cut. just after you cross the bridge (that is now REALLY tilted) some morons pushed a very large Camper down the steep grass hill, it is precariously perched there and will require some serious muscle yo yard it back up. Do you guys know where I cam talking? I can;t believe things like this would even cross someone mind!
That's the end of Fisher Delight trail.

downunder366
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downunder366 »

Giles wrote:I think that is a great idea....I'm not even a club member (I keep meaning to join but then life happens) but would gladly help out with a clean up. Last night we staged out of Fisher South.......I'm not up to speed with trail names (never really cared or paid attention as I know many good loops) but last night we crossed the main rode from Fisher South and rode the trail that turns left just up the bank and goes through the clear cut. just after you cross the bridge (that is now REALLY tilted) some morons pushed a very large Camper down the steep grass hill, it is precariously perched there and will require some serious muscle yo yard it back up. Do you guys know where I cam talking? I can;t believe things like this would even cross someone mind!

I saw that camper through the week. Not even really sure how it got there. Did you get a chance to scope out and see how to get it to an accessible area? If not, when I am back in Calgary in two weeks I might see how I can get it out of there. I have a side x side, but I am not sure how effective it would be in towing it on that hill without breaking it up beforehand.
Does anyone know how the wrecked trailers/campers have been disposed of previously? I am thinking that a tilt tray and winch would work best and then take it directly to a scrap steel place.
Does anyone know who to contact to make sure there is not already a plan in place to remove it?
Ryan

2018 KTM 350 XCF

Supported By - Cycle Works Foothills - FXR - Mongoose Machine - Dunlop

kjo417
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by kjo417 »

Hooligan wrote:The 5k staging area is an absolute disgrace. There is a big pile of garbage and the remains of a burnt out camper right in the middle of the lot. Then if you go up the little grass hill where Beer Bong starts, there is a ton of garbage left over from people shooting there?

Someone has placed a dumpster in the staging area but no idea who or how it gets hauled away.

Would it be in the club's interest to organize a public cleanup of the area? It would show the club and is bike riders are concerned about the area and are part of the solution, not part of the problem.
If you are interested in taking the lead on this for the weekend of June 18th/19th piece please let me know.

Thank you

boland
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by boland »

Thanks for stepping up to organize this Hooligan! :nworthy:
KTM 300 XCW
#184A

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Hooligan wrote:Hmmmm, the forum seems to have substituted the word "sludge" when I actually used the word "cr@p" :crazy:
I think that picture shows a bunch of garbage there. Keep it clean sir! :D

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Hooligan wrote:I talked to RJ last night and I will lead this cleanup during the maintenance day. Really we'd just need a few bodies to help load all the sludge onto a trailer, which wouldn't take all that long.
Thanks for the leadership Hooligan!

Any volunteers to help Mr. Hooligan in his noble cause?

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Hooligan wrote:I will have to go rent a trailer
You shouldn't have to rent a trailer. I know many members have open trailers you could use to haul garbage, and I'm certain they would happily lend it for this.

Can someone offer up a utility trailer for this (and a tarp would be great idea)?
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

The city has been getting a little stricter on the "tarping of loads". Not sure what the fine is but I have been checked twice prior to entering the scales at the dump.
#Z3B

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

350scott wrote:
Hooligan wrote:I will have to go rent a trailer
You shouldn't have to rent a trailer. I know many members have open trailers you could use to haul garbage, and I'm certain they would happily lend it for this.

Can someone offer up a utility trailer for this (and a tarp would be great idea)?
Better yet - can anyone lend an hydraulic dump trailer? This is the safest and easiest way to unload a mess like this...
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Uboatcmdr

Post by Uboatcmdr »

First post here. :applause:

So there is a second trailer down a trail by Fisher South? Is this down a truck trail?

Although its currently for sale I have a pretty built, mostly unstoppable Jeep, and would definitely be willing to lend a hand dragging that out of the bush assuming theres some way to get rid of it. I'm not exactly sure what has to happen with the respective authorities to remove abandoned vehicles, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I had a peek at this abandoned camper on the weekend. It is a slide in truck camper that is sitting over the side of the bank on it's roof. It looks like the "donors" backed up their truck to edge of the bank and flipped the camper off the backside of the truck. It may be hard to drag it back up the hill as there will be lots of friction. It is only ~100ft off the main road and could be accessed by pretty much any truck, but it may require a wrecker to pull it back up the bank, or a good winch with a pulley hung from a tree or something.