New Castle Parks

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

New Castle Parks

Post by JohnE »

Hello folks,

As many of you probably know, Environment and Parks Alberta has set up a public consultation process on expansion of the Castle Wildland Provincial Park and creation of a new adjacent provincial park. Comments opened Sept. 4 and will close Oct 5 (gvt has also posted Oct 30 as a deadline but I'm using Oct 5 to be safe :crazy: )

Background materials and maps and an on-line submission form (as well as contacts for email and mail submissions) are here: http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparks ... -area.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Castle/Crown of the Continent has been the poster child for a number of preservationist groups for years. Although the background materials recognize OHV on designated trails as a planned use, there will no doubt be pressure to limit it.

Bureaucrats love to count submissions in their consultation processes, so I would urge anyone who is interested to make their own submission (in addition to any club submission). I will be making a submission, including points around the importance of maintaining sustainable OHV use that distinguishes between truck, ATV and motorcycle (singletrack) trails and the development of new future sustainable trails without undue restrictions imposed through consultative or other approval processes and the recognition of sustainable OHV use as an important driver for Crowsnest Pass and Alberta tourism.

By the way, even if you don't ride in this area or view it as being much value as a singletrack resource, you may want to think about making a submission - OHV restrictions and processes used in this context will form precedents for future areas. I wouldn't doubt that they will turn to the GAMP in their thinking on how to manage new trail and access development, and as far as I know dirt bikers initially got hooped on that one in the Ghost.
Last edited by JohnE on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: New Castle Parks

Post by AJRJ »

On it. Thanks for the link.

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

I should also say, that while I think dirt bikers initially got hooped in the GAMP, certainly this club has made progress in the Ghost and I'm thankful for that and wishing for more Ghost singletrack in the future.

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I received an email from ESRD that included the links to an on-line survey, as well as a comment box.

My response:

It is extremely important to me to maintain the access to Eastern slope recreation areas for all Albertans, including motorized backcountry OHV use. The development and maintenance of a sustainable trail system has significant benefits for all Albertans, as arguably some of the largest spending boosts to local economies are done by OHV users. The purchase, maintenance, operation, camping, lodging and fuel purchases are benefits that are both quantifiable and undeniable. Exclusion of responsible recreation groups goes against everything we stand for in Alberta. "Railroading" and the abandonment of the input provided during the SSRP process is disheartening to the thousands of hours OHV user groups provided during the feedback portion of the creation of SSRP legislation.

YMMV, but I encourage every one to fill out the survey. Please note that while they say OHV use will be allowed both in the exising Park, and the new Wildland park, it is for approved trails. There is a high likelihood IMO that there will be few, or even no "approved" trails.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Done!

Super quick survey. Lets hope we represent :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Quick survey completed! :cheers:
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

twotired
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by twotired »

Submitted. :thumbsup:

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Me too.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

outrgus
Writer
Writer

Post by outrgus »

all done

MrHermit

Post by MrHermit »

+1 I did as well
2014 KTM 500EXC
2012 Husaberg TE300
2006 F650GS Dakar
My photos on Flickr

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

Today (Oct. 5) is the last day for submissions. The simple on-line form takes minutes to fill out and can be found in the link in the first post of this thread.

If you haven't done so, please take a minute to fill out the form and support the protection, enhancement and expansion of OHV use in the Castle wilderness.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

done
easy peasy.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Thanks for the reminder, added my $0.02.

Fenel854
Writer
Writer

Post by Fenel854 »

Done, very quick survey.
Ron

2014 KTM 300XCW
2016 Timbersled ST

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member