Porcupine Race concerns

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Porcupine Race concerns

Post by takethebounce »

I found this and did not see it mentioned under Land Advocacy. Not sure what feedback if any the club contributes to the AWA. A good read anyhow. I realize there will always be concerns with OHV use in these situations but I never like only seeing one side of the opinion being discussed.

http://albertawilderness.ca/archive/act ... -porcupine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vwrally
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Porcupine Race concerns

Post by vwrally »

Typical one sided story, comparing "damage" to industry activity is laughable. Suggesting that races not be allowed on public land at all and should be restricted to private land is also narrow minded, and typical of views that desire exclusive use of public lands for their own chosen activities, while hiding behind the "save the environment" façade. In that area (porkies) there is also a heavy dose of land owner desired exclusion of public use in general.

I use to race down there in the Rocky Mountain Rally, which used the existing road network (Skyline, Burke, Beaver) for many years, once a year. The event was on the national calendar for many years as well. Maximum 40 ish cars participating, spectators numbering somewhere around 100 - 200 at most. Rally is a sport that actively demonstrates responsible, sustainable use, has extremely minimal impact to the environment, and provides road repair/maintenance after the event. Every year there were more and more restrictions placed on the event, "quiet zones", mandatory vehicle washes to prevent the spread of weeds, I don't even remember what else right now. Every year the rally complied with the new requirements (that were really only put in place to try and create grounds for the events permit to be denied) which from what I remember were largely driven by local landowners, who were disgruntled by the long weekend campers and OHV use already and just plain don't want anyone else around in their own piece of private (public) paradise, and eventually the rally simply could no longer operate in the porcupine hills. 40 cars driving down existing roads, once a year, oh the humanity! Somebody think of the children!! The last time a rally car was there was around 2007.

Sorry for the rant. I've never ridden down there, would love to though, I hope riding in that area doesn't go the same way of the rally. The race organizers will have a huge challenge on their hands for sure, precedent is set in that part of the province. I was actually surprised to hear there is a race there, as well as a legal riding area without major restrictions.