Dam Mclean??

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Bluesmoke
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Dam Mclean??

Post by Bluesmoke »

It appears the government could build a dam in mclean. Im not sure exactly what this would mean for us but I want to know what this club is doing about it. I know what i will do, but i cant post that here!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Dam Mclean??

Post by axel99 »

I think this is a dry reservoir. It would be used to control excessive spring runoff to mitigate another calgary flood. So much fear about this happening again. I know there is a big stink about the initial plan to build this type of dam infrastructure in springbank. I think its the landowners in springbank that are promoting a McLean alternative. The land effected by the springbank option will only be usable for agriculture not lucrative residential land development. Hopefully the government makes a decision for effective flood controls that have the lowest environmental impact and cost. Hopefully it will never need to be used.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Dam Mclean??

Post by malcolmzilla »

The proposed dam is not within the FLUZ if I interpret this correctly From the Govts facts page:

http://alberta.ca/mclean-creek.cfm

Quick facts

The proposed dam is 50 metres high and would be built on the Elbow River near the McLean Creek confluence off Highway 66, southwest of Bragg Creek.
Storage capacity of 49 million cubic metres.
Would require relocation of a portion of Highway 66 and the highway's bridge over the Elbow River.