Flood Recovery Programs

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Flood Recovery Programs

Post by Dobi »

http://esrd.alberta.ca/focus/esrd-2013- ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESRD is soliciting our input to help rebuild/reroute or re mediate any trails that may have been affected by the flooding last year. This can apply to those spots that were once a gentle seasonal draw that are now a cavernous gouge. There seems to be money here for a 3 year program. Lets see what we can do to get some of our trails or those ever important quad trail connectors fixed up.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Flood Recovery Programs

Post by axel99 »

Not sure what the criteria is. What comes to mind right away is re-install bridge across river at fallen timber camp ground.
#Z3B

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

That would be my Number one choice too :thumbsup:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

McLean single track survived very well - evidence of sustainable trails! The quad tracks, however, are abysmal - evidence of NOT SUSTAINABLE trail.

I wonder if we could get permission to build new sustainable single track connectors to replace some of the two track connectors?

RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

Hendrix13 wrote:That would be my Number one choice too :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

I believe SGC is also working to get a bridge there so they can hold Fallen Timber HS.
Bikeless....

trailguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by trailguy »

erniebearskin wrote:I believe SGC is also working to get a bridge there so they can hold Fallen Timber HS.
Is this in addition to the bridge their working on at the Waiporous campground so they can run the Whispering Pines race again ?

erniebearskin
Columnist
Columnist

Post by erniebearskin »

Ahhh, you are right sir I always get Fallen Timber/Whispering Pines mixed up. I was speaking with Siggy last week and he was mentioning needing to get a bridge installed, I had assumed it was the same one.
Bikeless....

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

Hello,

You are invited to attend an Information Session being held on Wednesday June 18th from 7-9 p.m. at the Cochrane RancheHouse Conference Centre in Cochrane, AB to provide background and project information on the Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation Program (BTFRP) led by the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Resource Development (ESRD).

In June 2013, parts of Southern Alberta were devastated from significant flooding. The Government of Alberta responded to this catastrophe with a number of funding programs aimed at supporting people, infrastructure and the environment. The South Saskatchewan Region and Red Deer North Saskatchewan Region along the eastern slopes sustained significant impacts from the June Flood Event of 2013. Damage to main arterial recreation corridors has reduced access to backcountry areas and increased natural and man-made hazards that compromise Albertans’ recreational experience.

ESRD is leading a $10 million program to restore and repair backcountry trail systems on public lands as a result of the 2013 flood events. The Backcountry Trail Flood Rehabilitation Program will commence in 2014 and be completed by March 2017. The program aims to restore priority trails and trails systems along the eastern slopes for both motorized and non-motorized recreational users. The program will take a collaborative, partnership-based approach to planning and project implementation such that projects planned by Government, partners or stakeholders are prioritized and leveraged to maximum effect as they are the ultimate users of the trail systems.

Please come to the Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation Program Information Session to learn more about the program and to identify potential opportunities for involvement in the program and to identify potential projects for partnering with ESRD.

Please RSVP to jane.price@gov.ab.ca by June 17th, 2014 and indicate if you can attend or how many representatives from your organization will be attending and their names.

Date: Wednesday June 18, 2014
Time: 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
101 RancheHouse Road
Cochrane, AB
RSVP: email: jane.price@gov.ab.ca

Thank you.

Rob Simieritsch, P.Biol.
Resource Manager
South Saskatchewan Region
Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
Ph 403-297-8713 | E. Rob.Simieritsch@gov.ab.ca
Attachments