More bad news with a FLUZ plan now

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

Re: GAMP

Post by DirtGirl »

thumper-darryl wrote:So as of today still no response from Gov. to stake-holders, so everyone should send written requests to The Minister Dave Coutts and Rick Blackwood.
can we email or fax to them? Do you have numbers or email addresses?
This burns me! Again trying to sneak sh*t in while no one is looking! NICE!!
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: GAMP

Post by dirtyboy »

DirtGirl wrote:
thumper-darryl wrote:So as of today still no response from Gov. to stake-holders, so everyone should send written requests to The Minister Dave Coutts and Rick Blackwood.
can we email or fax to them? Do you have numbers or email addresses?
This burns me! Again trying to sneak sh*t in while no one is looking! NICE!!
Write to your MLA info on our Land Advocacy page will allow you to find David Coutts.

Rick Blackwood, anyone?

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

emails

Post by DirtGirl »

I have some email addresses...not sure if it will help

This is for Dave Coutts livingstone.macleod@assembly.ab.ca

Rick Blackwood rick.blackwood@gov.ab.ca
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w

DIAMOND DAVE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by DIAMOND DAVE »

Make sure you include a really LARGE attachment so it bogs their email down. :D

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Here's another story
(Posted below)

Reports say GAMP release next week

Cory Pytlarz
Wednesday May 10, 2006
Cochrane Times — The Ghost-Waiparous Access Management Plan (GAMP) has finally been approved, a local official says.
While Alberta Sustainable Resource Development (ASRD) is remaining tight-lipped on the details, an announcement regarding the plan is expected to be made as early as next week in time for the May long weekend, according to Municipal District of Bighorn councillor Hugh Pepper.
“All I can say is that I asked the deputy minister at a meeting in Edmonton a couple of days ago what was the status of it, and he said it had been approved,” Pepper says.
“This is the end of a lot of work by a lot of people.”
Rick Blackwood, ASRD manager for the southern Rockies division, confirmed the news.
“The plan has been approved, and there will be a formal announcement coming sometime in the next couple of weeks,” he says.
“When the announcement is made all the details will come with it.”
While the finer details on the plan have yet to be revealed, on May 3 cabinet approved the Ghost Forest Land Use Zone, one element of GAMP that sets out various guidelines regarding the use of off-road vehicles, camping and other activities in that zone.
The Ghost-Waiparous area has been a topic of hot debate for nearly 20 years, with various stakeholder groups, including off-highway recreation vehicle users, ranchers and environmentalists, all voicing concerns and preferences regarding the use of the area northwest of Cochrane.
Cochrane-area rancher Darryl Copithorne, who is an advisor for the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association, says he has not seen the plan and is disillusioned with how little stakeholders been involved in the GAMP process at the local level.
“We were supposed to be an integral part of the plan as far as implementation and keeping us apprised of what’s happening,” he says.
“The local ASRD has snuck it through and not even told any of the stakeholders what’s going on.”
A major concern Copithorne and other stakeholders have is user-displacement, he says, where less environmentally sensitive recreational users will leave the Ghost-Waiparous area when GAMP is approved and do damage in other areas where the rules are less stringent.
Instead, Copithorne thinks GAMP should be held off until there are consistent rules across the province, created by the government’s Recreational Corridor Coordinators Committee.
“The recommendations made by pretty much everybody is to put all these things on hold until that committee has done its job,” he says.
“We need a common set of rules across the province….If they don’t hold off on the Ghost thing until that’s done, it’s just going to be a disaster.”
Meanwhile, though Pepper says an announcement is coming soon, he adds users of the Ghost Waiparous area shouldn’t expect major changes right away.
“It’s symbolic at this point,” he explains. “There’s isn’t time to make the actual changes.”
Symbolic or otherwise, Pepper believes the announcement is still a major step in protecting the area watershed, however,
“Symbolically it’s still important to acknowledge that there is a need to regulate use and behaviour in the Ghost-Waiparous watershed area,” he says.
“That’s very important to be able just to have that principle.
“Really it’s the beginning of a whole new phase whereby everybody has to get on board and make the thing work,” he adds.
“That’s really the challenge, to find ways to make this thing work and that’s going to require a continued effort on the part of a lot of people.”
Copithorne thinks this might be a tough sell, however.
“I think they’ve lost a lot of credibility right now by sneaking it through without including their stakeholders,” he says.
“The trust level has kind of got shot all to (heck).”

Source from here: http://www.cochranetimes.com/story.php?id=229461

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

Well...... :banghead:

The original plan killed 95% of all singletrack in Waiporous. The government is 'bent' on a CLOSED unless posted open. So in Bar C you guys have seen the "open" signs which means every trail that does not have signage is closed! Now, they may not be done posting all signs but what percentage of trails do you think will be opened?
The RMDRA puts together a fantastic research project showing that the waterways in Waiporous is unaffected by ALL OHV activity. The RMDRA and AOHVA is positioning itself in the right places to be heard and supported. The amount of time guys like Darryl, Dean and Dennis have put in on behalf of our riding community is immeasureable. What will the end result look like? i hope its a heck of a lot more than 5% of trails!!!!!
The 4x4 community also got hammmered with the initial proposal with 95% closure of all trails to 4x4's. They were never positioned on the inner circle of this government plan. All they have done is donate time and money every year for the past 12 to reclaiming and rebuilding projects in the Ghost area at the cost of about $15000 per year (recently). They too have been left out of the loop and it really does look like they will have 95% of their trails closed.
So now what?????
Do we continue to steward the lands of Alberta in hope that the government will work with us or do we start the protests and rallies, maybe even litigation as the government has no science to justify ANY trail closures.
i am a little deflated at this point :excuse:

The problem is ENFORCEMENT!!!!! and 3 officers in the entire Ghost area is unacceptable. My 'gut' feeling is that they want us to fail there so they can start shutting down the rest of Alberta. i also think that they now have GPS maps of everywhere we go and will be better positioned to enforce all the closures.

i HOPE that i am completely wrong and the bike community will get to keep all the trails we use presently.

Tom

:crybaby:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I personally think there is a lot wrong with whats going on. I don't even know where to start.

Firstly, and this goes along with what Spinal has stated, that even RMDA, who (from my lack of knowledge of whats actually been done) supposedly has an "in" with this decision but yet we have NO idea whats going on or if any of the single track was saved. How do they expect everybody to follow the rules? Probably 80% if not more of the riders haven't even heard of this proposition of trail closing and so they will ride like they normally do and of course, make it look like the motorcycelists are not following the rules requiring harsher treatment.

Simple sign postage doesn't mean anything. How many of you guys actually stop and read those bulliten postings at the staging areas? I don't even know if something like this has been posted! I assume since they have put up signs that there is some explaination of them, or there should be! Another problem arrises that many people will simply not care because they know there is a slim chance of getting caught. It's like the bike only trails in Mclean; they have turned into quad/truck trails!

As for what there is to do? At this point, if all is going ahead like stated I belive we can assume we lost. Many props. go out to those that tried stopping it, but clearly it wasn't enough (as I would have assumed). We are a easy target and the scales are highly tipped with numbers against us.

I think the next question is what are our options now that it has happened? We all know the trails aren't doing anything to the water supply, and the environmental affects are little compared to many other things being done.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

Shibby,

I cant help notice that you are Not a member. I ask myself did you do everything you could do to stop this? I dont know your answer but i do know mine. I didnt do everything I could because I have many things that consume the majority of my time. (not to my liking) but that doesnt matter I guess all we can do is wait to see what the be all end outcome is......good or bad!

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I won't comment on this as its been covered before, I clearly get the point and understand the situation, HOWEVER, I recently discovered the post where member's money was donated to a racer. Count my money with him. I'll refill his gatoraide bottles if required in hopes of keeping some trails open.

I will not respond to any more posts regarding this topic and my post in hopes of keeping this original post on topic.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

DIRTTV
Journalist
Journalist

Post by DIRTTV »

I mean you no disrespect, However I wonder if you did everything in your power........when in your signature it shows you ride 2 motocross bikes........arent they supposed to be on a closed course? Hmmmm? Just so you are clear no member money went to support a rider. All money was donated at the fundraiser. I will tell Marty you will meet him in munich. He could surely use your help to fill his gatorade. If you were a member you would have known. As for Gamp everyone can technically a female pooch all they want in the end the government will do whatever they want!
How much are you paying for gas, taxes, healthcare blah blah blah? A wise man told me once "if you do a trail inventory you are giving the government a map of where you are going to be on any given day". Thats like telling the cops where your meth lab is in Chestemere! But there I was last year out on the trail with my gps in my hand riding 15km an hour saying to myself this will make everything better. DUH! Dad you were right!

Grin and bear it pal. Whats done cant be undone.........Arent you glad they are changing the gst from 7% to 6%?

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

This may not be on topic, but......Meth Lab in Chestemere?!?! What are you doing later DirtTV? You're invited to 'my place' for beers and a really bright lightbulb!!!!

Sorry..lil comic relief in here. :bonk:
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

redrider
Writer
Writer

Post by redrider »

Great note above Spinalguy. I agree whole heartedly with your comments.

Perhaps this is a bit premature and maybe we should wait until the smoke clears and all the signs are posted regarding Waiporous, but I don't hold out much hope seeing some of the closures already on my ride a few weeks ago. I must say I am absolutley choked that the the government would proceed in this manner and "spit in the eye" of all the hard work our club (with honourable mention to thumper darryl), and others have done to deal logically and factfully towards finding an agreeable solution for all, in our riding area(s). A less adversarial route would have been to put up the "OPEN" ride area signs before posting the blanket statement "CLOSED" signs.

Darryl (and others whom I know are there and deeply involved and whom I'd mention but I need more time to get to know, which is why our meetings are critical) keep fighting the good fight and keep letting us know where to send our feedback. Everyone reading this thread should make a determined effort to write to the email addresses mentioned above. Darryl may be able to help us with the most effective things to say in our emails but aside from that the fact that you send anything will count as more then nothing. No response and no public outcry from us will just reinforce the governments mind on these issues that there is an insignificant few that are being affected for the betterment of what they believe is harming the environment however misguided and factually unsupported (as proven by RMDRA efforts) this thinking may be.

I am pissed huge about this and disgusted with the governments actions so far. Everyone, if you love to ride the dirt in our glorious provincial back yard, please get involved and speak up otherwise it'll surely all be gone in the not to distant future. With talk of standards and rules for dirt riding across the province, I can't imagine what that this legislation will read like and how damaging it will be to our sport.

Weather you're a member or not your feedback to the governement is crucial. They need to know our numbers and that we value the good clean personal and family fun our sport provides. Our sport is a healthy one and keeps us and our families well adjusted, destressed, and off the streets only to lead longer happier lives.

I am proud to be an RMDRA member. It has opened my eyes and has proven membership is worth every penny. I enjoy the relationships I have made thus far and look forward to making many more. I know much more about the risk to our riding ares locally and not just about the trials and tribulations in California via DirtBike Magazine. It's time we start showing more of our support for Darryl and others who are on the front lines.

Darryl please keep the information and updates coming as well as many more verbal pep rally's. You put in a lot of time and effort and I truly appreciate and thank you for it.

I'm tapping out now.... hopefully there's not too many speeling mistakes. (Idid that on purpose)

Thanx all for listening
RedRider (Brad B.)
2014 Husqvarna TE300

**You never fail until you stop trying**

ripandtear
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ripandtear »

I have sent my letter to Dave Coutts, right now that is the best way to support Darryl, Dennis, Dave and all the others that have worked hard to make this a great place to ride. Membership is important.
Terry

2006 KTM 250 XC-W
2003 KTM 250 EXC - sold
04 Yamaha TTR 90 - sold
03Yamaha PW 80

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

I am preparing and will send my letters to Dave Coutts and Rick Blackwood today. (as i thnk everyone should. not the day after you read this post - but now!)

Should everyone, in their letters ask a couple questions and request that the addressed recipient contact them with responses?? I know that for $.51 per letter, I could probably afford to send 20 or 30 of them. Once a week perhaps? Even if it's the same letter over and over. Perhaps it'll make a point.

And, to send an email costs nothing. I'm perfectly happy emailing these individuals every day until I am responded to.

However, my goal is not to simply piss someone off and demand attention. The goal has always got to be the goal Darryl, Dean, Dennis and others have been working towards.

What's your feedback Darryl? Would being a "pain in the ***" help us get what we want (trails and single track terrain access). Or would this be counter-productive?

Do let me know - cause right now, after having read this thread, I soooooo want to unleash a barage of emails, faxes, and postal mail. (like 150 copies of a fax sitting on each's machine for when they arrive Monday morning).

Passionately,
Derek Radomski, CA
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

DirtGirl
Columnist
Columnist

closure

Post by DirtGirl »

I am with you Derek! this just so outrages me it is not funny!
it has become the dinner table talk every night!

I have used that area for over 30 years and to see the Gov't just blatantly disregard all the alternate evidence and info that groups like the RMDRA have provided just burns me!!!

I was nice in my letters that I sent, but I sure would have liked to send my real un-filtered thoughts!!!!!
DIRTY GIRLS RULE!
2009 KTM250 xcf-w