SSRP Public Consultation Sessions - November 2013

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

SSRP Public Consultation Sessions - November 2013

Post by RJHenry »

Team:

As the Government of Alberta proceeds with "round 3" or consultations on the South Saskatchewan Regional Plan, it is important that the off-road community continue to voice our need for access and recreation opportunity.

The Draft Plan (download/file.php?id=3945) outlines a clear commitment to motorized recreation, but the devil will be in the details - how the intent is captured in the legislation, how policy that flows from the legislation spells out that intent, how individual departments and officials apply the policies.

At this stage, the most important message that the off-road community can deliver is REQUESTING CLARITY in the final plan:
- clear commitment to access for sustainable recreation
- practical science based approaches to sustainability
- preservation of historical access and trail inventory as designated trail systems evolve

Stakeholder Workshop times are from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m - GOA asks that you RSVP for stakeholder workshops to ssrp@stantec.com or call 403-716-8325.
Public sessions run from 4:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. and since they are open house sessions, there isn't any need to call ahead to reserve a seat.

Here are the key sessions in the Calgary area:
- November 7 Strathmore Strathmore Centennial Civic Centre 120 Brent Boulevard
- November 7 Canmore Radisson Hotel 511 Bow Valley Trail
- November 13 Calgary Glenmore Inn 2720 Glenmore Trail SE
- November 20 Airdrie Town and Country Centre #103 275 Jensen Drive NE
- November 27 Okotoks Foothills Centennial Centre #4 204 Community Way
- November 28 Cochrane The RancheHouse 101 RancheHouse Road

Please make an effort to attend the consultation sessions - Public or Stakeholder - in a community near you. Here is the entire list: https://landuse.alberta.ca/Newsroom/Pag ... tions.aspx

The Stakeholder sessions are more intense than the public sessions - you WILL end up seated at a table with a person with a different perspective. Listen, share our perspective, emphasize the need for accomodation of all access (not "IF", but "HOW"), and try to leave your tablemates with a positive impression of the off road community! Encourage your friends to come as well - but sit at different table to better spread the love!

Finally, please take a crack at the feedback workbook https://www.banister.ab.ca/ssrpphase3 and share your perspective. You do not have to complete the whole book - the index on the side allows you to skip ahead or back and complete portions of specific interest. The section entitled "Eastern Slopes - Green Area Public Land" is of particular interest.

Feel free to discuss and communicate plans to attend here in this thread to help us get coverage at all of the sessions.

Thanks!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

alyssabruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: SSRP Public Consultation Sessions - November 2013

Post by alyssabruce »

Thanks for posting the information Robert, Tim and I will be attending the public session at the Glenmore Inn in Calgary.

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Nice one Robert. I'll post on Facebook and Twitter to spread the word.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Post by anotheroldtrailrider »

Dangit!! I'd hoped to go to a couple of the meetings, but I go out of town Monday on business for a couple weeks.

Drat -

Art

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

Team:

I have attended the Strathmore and Edmonton public (evening) sessions so far. In both cases the evening turnout was not very high and I had excellent conversations with senior personnel in Land-Use Secretariat, Tourism Parks & Recreation, and ESRD. Comments from the Stakeholder (daytime) sessions have been posted on the wall and have been far more balanced and neutral than many of the extreme statements visible in the last round of consultations - in my view the result of a more balanced, less provocative document than the RAC Advice.

Comments from facilitators and government officials indicate decent turnout at some of the rural sessions, and strong recreationalist representation - particularly in Taber and Blairmore. Overall, our communal voice is being heard and well received.

Today is the Calgary Stakeholder & Public Consultations - held at the Glenmore Inn. I can make the Public session this afternoon, but if anyone can make the daytime session we would really value that. Please post a little summary of your experiences!

Thanks, and be safe out there!
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Only one in Calgary! That's their idea of open public consultation!

You would think that a city this size would warrant at least 2 different days, one being a weekend day!

I will try my best to attend this evening but I'm afraid I haven't had the oppertunity to review the entire 163 pages.

Anyone have some shorthand notes they can share about any concerns in the draft?
The voices are back. Awesome!

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Just look at all the ignorant comments in here, and get out to one of these sessions if you can:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/c ... -1.2430525

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

last night I attended a GSMG meeting where we had a number of representatives from the Land Use Secretariats office as well as Tourism, Parks and Rec. One of the messages I heard over and over is how effective this club and all of the motorized user groups in Southern Alberta have been at getting our message heard. Specific points that were brought out were the letter writing campaigns that we have done, our professional level attendance at the sessions, as well as the direct accolades for our man Robert J Henry!!!

we are coming into the final stretch and the workbook sessions will only be open until Jan 15th. If you have not gone and done one yet, do so fast. One of the other comments was that we need to get our message to those with an influence on the plan. Write a letter to your MLA, your Premier and even write to the opposition party. If you have any contact with anyone in Gov't through your work or personal life, now is the time to phone them up and move the conversation into the SSRP and focus on the recreational needs of our groups.
https://landuse.alberta.ca/Pages/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

an interesting fact that was brought out was that of the 285 motorized users that came out to Lethbridge for the session, less than 10% of them had an affiliation with a club. :crybaby:

Keep up the great work gang. We are making a difference for our future.

Hendrix13
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Hendrix13 »

Outstanding!!!

Let's keep it going. We're not there yet :applause: :canada:
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by clamacious »

Last spring I sent off an email to my MLA, who is Wildrose since I live outside the city of Calgary PC redoubt. He responded to my comments fairly promptly and indicated that his side of the legislature shared many of the concerns that I had raised. He directed me to Pat Stier, the MLA for Livingstone - MacLeod, who is their critic for Sustainable Resource Development. Pat actually send me a follow up letter thanking me for raising my concerns and confirmed their advocacy for "a proper and responsible regional plan that accurately reflects the long history of responsible recreational land use in Alberta".

If the club has a formal package of criticism and recommendation with respect to land policy and the SSRP it might not be a bad idea to contact Pat Stier and see if we could liaise with them. I'm not sure how much leverage the opposition will have in the process but it wouldn't hurt to have them as informed as possible as to all of the issues involved and what the club's positions are.