4X4 Community SSRP actions

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

4X4 Community SSRP actions

Post by Dobi »

I know a few of you out there are a part of the 4X4 community so am sharing this on behalf of Peter Straub. Peter is one of the most dedicated OHV volunteers out there and has done everything he can for our sport, so please no griping about trucks on here.

Hello,

My name is Peter Straub, and I have been an avid Four Wheel Drive enthusiast in Alberta since 1995 when I purchased my first Toyota Land Cruiser. I joined the Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser 4x4 Association in 1997, and I’ve been lucky to enjoy off road adventures across North America from the Arctic Circle to the Mexico border, and of course, across Alberta from Fort McMurray to the US Border.

With the release of the proposed South Saskatchewan Land Use Plan, it has become obvious to me that the four wheel drive enthusiasts across Alberta, but especially those interested in recreating anywhere south of the Red Deer River, need to organize and become involved to influence the details of this plans implementation. Our interests have not been heard as previous Access Management Plans have been implemented across Alberta, while the quad users, on the other hand, have found that while not ideal, these plans provide much more recreation opportunities by comparison. The big difference is that there are well organized organizations across Alberta advocating for the interests of Quad Community. The Four Wheel Drive enthusiasts need to do the same.

I am proposing a meeting of all Four Wheel Drive enthusiasts to coordinate our efforts, and start on a path towards productive engagement with the government during the implementation of the South Saskatchewan Land Use Framework. The Government’s proposed plan speaks repeatedly about Stakeholder engagement during the implementation phase. I know that our friends in the Quad and Single Track communities are doing exactly this. We must ensure our efforts are collaborative with theirs.

The government is holding public consultation meetings during November, and I know that they are having additional meetings with certain interest groups. We need to be one of those groups.

My proposal is an organizing meeting to organize the Four Wheel Drive community interested in trails in Southern Alberta:

Time: November 5, 2013, 7:00 PM

Location: The Austrian Club of Calgary, in the Alpine Room. 3112 – 11 Street N.E. Calgary

http://www.austrianclub.ca/

Attendance: All four wheel drive enthusiasts, clubs, business and individuals interested in the future of four wheel drive trails in Southern Alberta.

Chair: Peter Straub will Chair the Meeting

Agenda:

1. Introductions
2. Overview of Alberta Government Rules and Regulations
a. Integrated Land Management Plans
b. Access Management Plans
c. Public Land Use Zone
d. Recreational Corridors Trail Definitions
3. Overview of the Proposed South Saskatchewan Land Use Plan
4. Review specific strategies needed by the Four Wheel Drive community, Short and Long term.
5. Discuss Best Options to organize our community
6. Decide on Next Steps, Set next meeting date.

Small Donations will be collected at the door to cover the meeting room costs: $60

If you would like to contact me, please feel free to e-mail me at pstraub@gmail.com. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you all on November 5.

Important Land Use Framework Links: https://www.landuse.alberta.ca/Pages/default.aspx