G.A.M.P signs

What's new? Questions, letters, initiatives.
onthemain
Writer
Writer

G.A.M.P signs

Post by onthemain »

so I see what i can only assume are the GAMP signs are starting to be put up in the waiporous area apparently I was riding single track trail number 43 on the weekend
07 CRF 250X

onthemain
Writer
Writer

Anyone

Post by onthemain »

Anyone Else run into these on the weekend they are new bright orange little picture of a dirt bike and a large number below mounted on a metal sign post
07 CRF 250X

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I'm waiting to hear from our land advocacy representatives, however they are doing research into sustainable trail systems down in Moab right now. :D The last that they told me they had no concrete news from GAMP yet. I would guess that our trail inventory is starting to become a reality. Where was the sign? What trail head did you park at?

I haven't been out there for a few weeks so I haven't seen any signs. :crybaby:

onthemain
Writer
Writer

trail head

Post by onthemain »

the trail head is the one that runs north east from the blue bridge in black rock, along the fence and half way up the hill keep following the fence and it turns into a single track that follows the ridge hits the first cut line on the second cut line that runs east west, what I would call the start of the wapiours area the signs are all the way down that cut line both jeep and dirt bike trails are marked trail # 43 was a single track running north south
07 CRF 250X

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

They are there. They have Quad and truck/jeep ones too. So far it looks like the postings follow the ORIGINAL GAMP plan (at least with the jeep signs).

darn, i hope not!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Tom :crybaby:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Re: trail head

Post by Shibby! »

onthemain wrote:the trail head is the one that runs north east from the blue bridge in black rock, along the fence and half way up the hill keep following the fence and it turns into a single track that follows the ridge hits the first cut line on the second cut line that runs east west, what I would call the start of the wapiours area the signs are all the way down that cut line both jeep and dirt bike trails are marked trail # 43 was a single track running north south
I seen those a couple weeks ago and thought they were for some race or competition. I think I just saw numbers and never noticed the little pictures.

It is on the cut line that goes from behind the big ridge from the bridge, goes down, crosses the road and eventually JUST passes that gas/oil site, goes down that access road for a couple hundred feet, and then leads into the two hill climbs coming up from the river bed (as the river turns north) and continues over the river and up the other side.

Sounds stupid I know, but I guarentee all of you guys know the cutline.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

I found another one the other day, on a cutline between Lost Knife trail and Lesiuer Creek trail, but it was marked with a quad/bike. Also rode one of my favorite trails in Bar-C only to find a "trail closed" sign at the end. There was no sign at the entrance. This trail go up behind the hunter's shacks to Orient Point and back down the other side. They have cut down 4 or 5 big trees to block the trail and then put up a pretty little sign. :bonk: :banghead: :crazy: :excuse:
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

chucker wrote:They have cut down 4 or 5 big trees to block the trail and then put up a pretty little sign. :bonk: :banghead: :crazy: :excuse:
Isn't that ironic...
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

chucker wrote:They have cut down 4 or 5 big trees to block the trail and then put up a pretty little sign.
That doesn't sound like the Alberta government. I wonder if those signs are authorized or if another group put them up?

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

I dunno, i'll take my camera next time and snap a few pics. I was REALLY surprised to see them (whoever they are) cutting trees down to block trails. They were cut with a chainsaw. Hammer, Knuckle and Redrider all saw this as well. :excuse:

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

When Chucker and the guys and I were riding the other day and say these trees, it didn't look like gov't work. I also had visions of Apocolypes Now when I saw coils of barbed-wire at the trail sides. That might have been Brewsters stuff...but having a high-school buddy killed running through a b-wire fence when we were teens snowmobiling it creeped me out.

We have a similar thing going on in Bowmount Park where we mountain bike. Someone or two pull loggs across the trais. We'd bunny-hop them and then seeing our chain-ring marks they'd plant large branches around corners. It was stupid. I suppose the logs slowed us down, but the branches where like spears. It only takes one or two weirdo types before someone is seriously hurt.

If we get the exact location we can call Fish and Feathers in Cochrane. I've talked to Stan a couple of times on the phone and he's been very helpful! IF its their blockade then I'd expect to see their logo on the sign. Don't remember seeing that when we were out.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

onthemain
Writer
Writer

pick up the gamp map

Post by onthemain »

:buttkick:
Last edited by onthemain on Sat May 20, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
07 CRF 250X

craigcd
User
User

Post by craigcd »

chucker wrote:I dunno, i'll take my camera next time and snap a few pics. I was REALLY surprised to see them (whoever they are) cutting trees down to block trails. They were cut with a chainsaw. Hammer, Knuckle and Redrider all saw this as well. :excuse:
We actually bumped into them (conservation officer/ranger?) last fall doing this. Returning this year it looks like they have redone the same area because quads cut there way through.

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

There is a now a well beaten path around the logs and signs continuing up the "closed" trail. I guess cutting down trees doesn't work, huh? :rolleyes:

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

There is a now a well beaten path around the logs and signs continuing up the "closed" trail. I guess cutting down trees doesn't work, huh?
Well I think that is exactly what Rick Blackwood with the SRD had in mind, this will give them the ammo to have the whole area shut down. They even mention this in the Q&A section under Enforcement:

MONITORING AND ENFORCEMENT
How will you ensure that this works? What if recreationists ignore the regulations? Staff will be monitoring the success of both education and enforcement activities in the Ghost-Waiparous area on an ongoing basis.
This information will be used to further refine the trail network and regulations and will be used as background material for the Ghost-Waiparous Stewardship Committee as they work with government on providing advice on future directions.
The access plan provides opportunities for all users to demonstrate their commitment to live within the parameters and objectives set in the plan.
The Stewardship Committee, as representatives of and in conjunction with users groups, will play a critical role in providing users of the consequences of ignoring the management strategy of designated trails, random camping use and regulations put in place for the area.
Some consequences of ignoring regulations and management efforts may include increased enforcement efforts, increased fines, increased restrictions on trail usage, and potentially removal of trail designations.

What do you want to bet they take the easy road and opt to just close the area? :blah: