Pro RMK vs 'Doo 800

Sled, ski, board, snow-bike area.

Same rules as elsewhere. No classified. Trial area to see if it gets used.
Forum rules
Anything snow related. Sled, snow-bike, ski, board, etc.

No Classified.
actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Pro RMK vs 'Doo 800

Postby actionsports » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:42 am

Hey, I'm looking for opinions on the 2013 800 mountain sleds. The new Pro RMK 800 is claimed to weigh 417 lbs! Thats pretty light. However, the new Doo 800 looks pretty sweet too. The track design, etec motor, ergonomics etc all add up to a great sled too. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The etec motor is supposed to be stronger, correct?

Is the track design on the Doo a gimmick?

Pro RMK vs 'Doo 800

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

steve-o
Author
Author

Re: Pro RMK vs 'Doo 800

Postby steve-o » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:56 am

I wish I knew more and could help you out better, but here's what I do know, if the pro RMK is a polaris?, I was a the dealer and they had mentioned it recieved significant changes and was high horse/low weight and they literally couldn't keep them on the floor. they sell as a fast as they can get them and that they seem to be the favorite amongst hard core users. They also mentioned that Ski Doo used to hold those honors for the past number of years. I guess its a game changer??

I also have a friend with the Doo and he is also extremely happy.

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

rogue
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby rogue » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 am

I love my Doo and they are getting easier to handle all the time. The etech motor is an incredible motor and is very smooth with tons of power.
I would be a little hesitant about a new skid and wait to see how they review.

The Poo is an amazing handling sled from what I could tell from my limited time on them. I did feel that the motor is a little lacking but the weight made up for that.

I would think it would depend on what you like to ride. Personally I would wait and rent them both and then make up your own mind rather than listening to people who might have a different idea of what riding should be.

Just my 2 cents, good luck. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Advertisement

dirtyboy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby dirtyboy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 am

rogue wrote:The Poo is an amazing handling sled from what I could tell from my limited time on them. I did feel that the motor is a little lacking but the weight made up for that.

:lol: :smirk: :smirk:

Advertisement

cooper
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cooper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 pm

road them both this winter they are both nimble and quick i jumped ship this year from a summit xp 800 154 to a 2010 in crate cat sno pro dirt cheap from ralphs great deal . great sled .all three are great mountain sleds but if i had to be stuck with one it would be the summit xp without a doubt.

Advertisement

LID
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby LID » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:58 pm

I have an 09 Summit X, a 12 Summit X, and some of my friends have RMK Pro's. You won't lose with either sled, they both kill it and both 2012's suprised the heck out of me as to how much better they are than my 09 Skidoo XP. The etec motor is outstanding and the handling and suspension is way better than 09. Watching brand new RMK's fly past my stuck *** last November in 6' of snow got me to buy the 2012 Summit.

The Polaris is lighter and supposed to be a bit more nimble but I ride mostly in the trees and deep pow and my 2012 XP will go anywhere the poo's go. The XP has a new skid and track this year that will make it tip over easier, supposed to be about on par with the Poo.
Don't worry about the power thing too much as there is something about the Polaris geometry gets it up on top of the powder sooner, less trenching, less stuck. I guess it depends on what you ride and how long you've been riding.
If you're heavy or are relatively new get the Doo. The RMK has some lightweight parts that will break when you hit stuff.

I wouldn't be too worried about the new skid on the skidoo either. A few guys who ride way harder than I do had them on the go all last winter and loved them. It seems like Skidoo has a bit of a better quality testing program than it used to (2008).
The great thing is that any of the 2013's (except Yammy) are sweet!
Mark Williams
2016 500EXC

Advertisement

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Postby takethebounce » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 pm

I am pretty sure I know LID's name from another forum and I can agree with pretty much everything he has said.

I realize this thread is a month old as well, but hey I am new here! I as well have an 09 and 12 Summit X in my garage. Going from the 09 to the 12 was a night and day difference. A few minor changes made a huge difference. I may be newer to the two wheel world but I log 2500+ miles a winter in the back country on sleds.

If you haven't been on a sled in a number of years, pick one and go with it. Many gys coming off the Doo's have found it a little difficult to transition to the Poo's. They do have a little less HP, do have a little less floatation with a 15" wide track (we can argue it all day, but its footprint, plain and simple) and can be a little tougher to ride at first. After a few rides the Pro RMK's are great sleds though. The weight difference is slightly noticeable, but once loaded up with snow is hardly noticeable. I have ridden all model years of the Pro RMK's except the 2013, I have also ridden all years of the current Doo's including the 2013.

The 2013 Doo is an amazing sled even compared to the 2012. I love my 2012, best out of the crate sled to date when it was released.

Really the two sleds are capapble of achieving the same result depending on the rider. A Summit will still climb slightly better than a Pro. But guys who like riding Pro's can do some pretty great things on them compared to previously released Summit's.

Then there is track length to consider and so on. I had a 163 Pro for several weeks last winter for my girlfriend to try out. At the end of the day she still felt more comfortable on the Doo, same for me. I wanted to force myself to like the Pro because so many people felt they were such a great sled and I was still able to ride my Doo to a higher potential.

Some people will say one is inferior to the other, but both have their pro's and con's. Ride both and see what you like best if possible.

Advertisement

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Postby Brent » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:58 am

The first sled I ever rode was my dad's John Deere 82 trail fire and that thing ruled the ditches! I have owned 4 doo's since those days and really like them. Although, I have been through Cycleworks recently and have been staring at the new poo...looks great. I rode a buddy's for 15 minutes and really liked it, light easy handling feeling. Either way you go your going to be happy. My 11 Etec is getting some clutch work this fall and will be ready for action here in a couple of months, so next year I'll be looking at a new sled, you'll have to keep us posted on what you got.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Advertisement

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Postby actionsports » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:04 pm

As far as an update, I rode Schell's '12 and '13 800 Doos and both were great sleds. The '13 seems to be pretty much the ultimate as far as a new super nimble sled. I'm still ripping on my Nytro Turbo and I really enjoy it too. Boost is super addictive. My Nytro has the latest Zbroz 3" forward front end and a 162" Camo Extreme, so it hooks up really good. The Zbroz front end made a HUGE difference for the Nytro.

Advertisement

LID
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby LID » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:29 am

Additional update.....
I have about 13 days on the 2103 Summit and it is outstanding.
back to back with my 12 it pulls harder and sidehills and turns quicker.
It does seem to pack more ice under the tunnel than the 12 for some reason.
The 12 is a bit more stable for tandem snowboard laps but the 13 is fine if you know what you are doing. The poo is a bit less stable then the doo for tandeming.

loving every day on it

Advertisement

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Postby takethebounce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:22 pm

At this point of the season I would normally be gearing up for some great riding. But no, I broke my leg about 6 weeks ago.

I have thought about it a few times since I broke it. Looking back at the situation I was in, had I been on a Polaris, a Pro RMK, I don't think I would have broken my leg where I did.

Prior to this I was able to get some good riding time in on a couple of 2013 Pro RMK's over the course of the winter. I even had one to use for an entire day to see what I thought after just rides here and there. For technical riding, where you are on edge %90 of the day, the RMK is the sled to be on. If I was looking for a straight up climbing sled that was easy to transition to from my current sleds, the Ski-Doo XM is a no brainer.

If someone were to offer me a sled today, a 2014 Pro RMK in a 163, or a 2014 Ski-Doo XM in a 163, I would take the Polaris. The lesser hp sled, with its 15" wide track does just as good as the Doo with its 16" wide track. I would actually even go as far as saying the Polairs climbs better in fresh pow. The Polaris gets ontop of the snow better than the Doo.

I normally put 2500km's a season on each winter, 50 plus riding days. For me, the desire to take a sled into terrain that would turn away some single track riders in the summer is what I love. This is far from a sledding site, but a Pro RMK is the cloest thing to a dirtbike on the snow with a full size track. I won't group snow bikes into that.

Advertisement

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Postby actionsports » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Interesting stuff. I had a guy in my office today that was complaining about the "little stuff" on his '12 Poo. He says its the little stuff that drives him away from Polaris. So, stuff like, his teather screwing up, 40kms from the truck, and having to be towed out.. Stuff that is frustrating, like things that bent, like one of his A-arms, from just typical riding, or so he claimed. Anway, he is switching to a doo, I guess.

Advertisement

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Postby takethebounce » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 am

Each brand has its little issue. Be it Polaris, SkiDoo, Cat, and so on. It is unfortuante sometimes that we invest $12000+ into these machines and they are not perfrect for an entire season. Having a good dealer who provides excellent service not matter what is very imprtortant in these situations. It would be great of these things were turn key (or one pull) operation each and every time, but the testing and developement seasons are so short I can understand it is difficult to duplicate every situation before these things hit the showroom floor.

As far as the Polaris having its little issue, the '13 Pro RMK's had a little driveshaft issue that certainly effect a number of guys. The fix was a clamp, a bandaid of sorts, but it works. Some also had a bearing issue. The front ends of these sleds are quite a bit more durable than the Ski-doo's I have never seen a straight front end on a newer Ski-doo. All of them have a tweak.

Start sticking 150 hp in 425 pound machines and sometimes there will be reliability issues.

Advertisement

calltrex
Writer
Writer

Postby calltrex » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:53 pm

the ski doo 800s blow up after a while. so if u get new sleds every other year you should be ok

i ordered a new 2014 cat. but if i was riding the mountain powder i would get the RMK Pro

Advertisement

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Postby takethebounce » Thu May 02, 2013 5:59 pm

I saw a 2013 Cat that imploded this past winter. Track delaminated, parts when flying. Nice trail sled.

The etec 800R's have not been an issue like the ptek 800's. The design isn't flawless, but neither is Polaris's. There have been many recent "fixes" for the Polaris 800's.

The only good thing Cat ha going for them was the Suzuki build 800 HO's. 2014 may be the last year of the Suzuki built 800's. WIth Cat building their own 600 now, chances are they will drop the Suzuki powerplant for 2015.

Advertisement

Return to “Snow stuff”