Pro RMK vs 'Doo 800

Sled, ski, board, snow-bike area.

Same rules as elsewhere. No classified. Trial area to see if it gets used.
Forum rules
Anything snow related. Sled, snow-bike, ski, board, etc.

No Classified.
calltrex
Writer
Writer

Re: Pro RMK vs 'Doo 800

Postby calltrex » Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 pm

i ordered the cat XF7000 with the new yamaha 4stroke in it. should be sweet

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Postby Shibby! » Thu May 02, 2013 7:00 pm

takethebounce wrote:I saw a 2013 Cat that imploded this past winter. Track delaminated, parts when flying. Nice trail sled.

The etec 800R's have not been an issue like the ptek 800's. The design isn't flawless, but neither is Polaris's. There have been many recent "fixes" for the Polaris 800's.

The only good thing Cat ha going for them was the Suzuki build 800 HO's. 2014 may be the last year of the Suzuki built 800's. WIth Cat building their own 600 now, chances are they will drop the Suzuki powerplant for 2015.

Woah! Stop the hate on the Ptek. It was the first few 800R's that were the issues (starting in 07).

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Postby takethebounce » Thu May 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Shibby! wrote:
takethebounce wrote:I saw a 2013 Cat that imploded this past winter. Track delaminated, parts when flying. Nice trail sled.

The etec 800R's have not been an issue like the ptek 800's. The design isn't flawless, but neither is Polaris's. There have been many recent "fixes" for the Polaris 800's.

The only good thing Cat ha going for them was the Suzuki build 800 HO's. 2014 may be the last year of the Suzuki built 800's. WIth Cat building their own 600 now, chances are they will drop the Suzuki powerplant for 2015.

Woah! Stop the hate on the Ptek. It was the first few 800R's that were the issues (starting in 07).

I don't hate the ptek's. I still own one. But, the 07 cranks lead to a carry over of issues in 08. Crank run out issues still followed many pteks into 09 and 2010. 2500-3000 miles is a good life for a ptek. Sure lots of guys got over 5000 miles or more out of them, but they had a reduced reliability in many of the pteks.

Some of that could be related to improper clutch balancing issues. It took BRP until 2012 to start balancing the primary clutch as a whole and then indexed to the crank. Vibrations went way down, and crank life improved.

Now with etecs we are dealing with stators failing earlier due to high demands on the charging system for the voice coil injectors and reeds failing every 1000 miles. My reeds in my 09 look like they are new. My '12 replaced twice. Stators in the 2011's, I know of near 10 that failed. 2012 they are starting to show issues as well.

My 09 will get a new motor this year, top end was done two years ago. Its the spare sled but still worth a new motor, crank run out is double max spec with less than 5000 miles.

Advertisement

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Postby Shibby! » Fri May 03, 2013 8:36 am

The 07 was the change to the 800R. The PTEK was used on the 06 800 HO's. (maybe 05's too?)

Either way, I PTEK is the control system, not the engine. 800R was the engine that had the problems, not the PTEK control system that was used on both the 800 HO and the early 800R's.

Advertisement

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Postby takethebounce » Tue May 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes, PTEK is a loose term for the Pre E-TEC 800's. Yes there were 800 HO pteks and 800 R teks. The Power T.E.K, 2005-2007 800 HO's were excellent motors, why they ever went to the mono block design on the 800R is beyond me, it was a proven design. Obviously cheaper to manufacture the mono blocks, it is like Cat giving up on the Suzuki 800's, best sled motor... T.E.K being T - Throttle Position Sensor, E - Electronic Rave Control, K - knock sensor.

BRP loves its acronymns, MPEM, DPM, RER, ETEC, PTEK, 4TEC,

Anyways...seen lots of sleds this past weekend while I was on two wheels. Lots of snow out there still.

Advertisement

actionsports
Contributor
Contributor

Postby actionsports » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:42 am

I took the plunge and picked up a '14 Pro. We will see how it holds up! So far it handles like a dream. I can't believe how awesome it handles. It feels like a dirt bike. Having said that, I am comparing it to the Nytro turbo that I've ridden for the last 4 years. I am "super pumped" to steal a line from the now famous Dungey-ism

Advertisement

Return to “Snow stuff”