Timbersled??

Sled, ski, board, snow-bike area.

Same rules as elsewhere. No classified. Trial area to see if it gets used.
Forum rules
Anything snow related. Sled, snow-bike, ski, board, etc.

No Classified.
steve-o
Author
Author

Re: Timbersled??

Postby steve-o » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:28 pm

rock933 wrote:Will the 300 pull the timber sled? That is a pretty big track on it. I bought the 2 moto at the end of last year Blackfoot had them on sale for half price. I'm just waiting for some more snow to try it out.

A 300 would be very taxed. you need a big bore 4 stroke and nitrous would help too.

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

spitnbark
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spitnbark » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:05 pm

This is a quote that I pasted from SnowWest Snowmobile Forum, "Tomk is talking about me. I ride with a guy that has an 08 300 xcw and it does so much better than either one of us could have imagined, we are both running Timbersled kits. His bike makes my 525 look stupid in the deep powder. The 300 just seems to float a lot better. In the setup snow I think I got an edge on him but he goes everywhere I go. I like his 300 so much that I bought one last week."
Hope that helps.

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

Energizer

Postby Energizer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:07 pm

My kit is scheduled to arrive in 1st week of January.

I've been lookig for a premium 'Berg 09 to 11 new or used.

If anyone knows where to find one let me know.

Maybe my KTM 300 XCW would be worth a try after reading the above post???

I am recruiting snow and single track riding buddies.

I ride about 80 days a year on single track with mostly fireman so can keep up with most capable riders.

Advertisement

Hendrix13
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hendrix13 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:31 am

spitnbark wrote:This is a quote that I pasted from SnowWest Snowmobile Forum, "Tomk is talking about me. I ride with a guy that has an 08 300 xcw and it does so much better than either one of us could have imagined, we are both running Timbersled kits. His bike makes my 525 look stupid in the deep powder. The 300 just seems to float a lot better. In the setup snow I think I got an edge on him but he goes everywhere I go. I like his 300 so much that I bought one last week."
Hope that helps.

That's encouraging. Has anyone here tried a 300 with a Timbersled?
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Advertisement

dirtyboy
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby dirtyboy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:27 pm

I guess with everything there are some custom parts.

Advertisement

Hendrix13
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Hendrix13 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:45 pm

That ski looks like a must around here.
14 350 xcf
13 CRF100F
12 CRF150F
04 CRF80
01 TTR125
87 CR250

Advertisement

axel99
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby axel99 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 pm

I like where in the side by side product comparison he wipes out :lol:. I suspect the raised runner will really shine on a packed in trail. The normal ski would probably work the best in powder, where one of these track setups would be the most fun anyway. Hope to see some posts on first hand experiences and setup details.
#Z3B

Advertisement

rock933
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rock933 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:02 am

axel99 wrote:I like where in the side by side product comparison he wipes out :lol:. I suspect the raised runner will really shine on a packed in trail. The normal ski would probably work the best in powder, where one of these track setups would be the most fun anyway. Hope to see some posts on first hand experiences and setup details.

If you ride in the mountains you useally have to follow the trails for quite a while to get to the alpine.

Advertisement

Brass
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Brass » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 am

Any ride reports yet?
The voices are back. Awesome!

Advertisement

BradC
Writer
Writer

Timbersled Report

Postby BradC » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 am

Having owned a Radix 2Moto kit for two years and ridden it to its limit, I purchased a timbersled kit and rode it for the first time this weekend out in Golden. My timbersled kit's mounted on a 2008 KTM 505 XCF.

Simply put: There is NO comparison.

The ONLY time I found a sled to outperform my bike this weekend was on a straight up climb in deep snow. I was able to get 3/4 the height of a piped 800 sled with an experienced rider.

The nitrous kit I'm having installed this week will fix that.

EVERYWHERE else, the bike/Timbersled kit left the snowmobilers scratching their heads.

There is one other thing I've done different: I use a simmons 10" powder ski. I ride some pretty extreme terrain at times and with the stock ski, found myself upside down bent over the handlebars with the bike buried nose-in and verticle. With the wider powder ski, I'm able to drop off of some pretty crazy stuff and no longer bury the front end. I also believe it helps build a better base for the track to bite into when climbing.

Manouverability on the trail: I first have to say that the guy in the video above crashing his bike because he didn't have the ski modified made me laugh. When I'm on a trail, I'm in 5th gear getting to where I need to be. I've never fallen over like the noob in the video, and one of the trails I ride to the alpine is 40km long! Truth be told, ALL snow kits suck on the trails. They grab tracks and wander all over the place - especially the wider ski. The trick is to LET it wander, and ride the bike on the pipe, loose and relaxed like you would in mud. Yes, the timbersled is a bit more difficult to manouver on the trails. It's longer and the track is square, not curved. HOWEVER..... These kits aren't meant to be ridden on the trails. They are meant to be ridden in deep snow... REALLY deep snow. In fact, I can usually be found riding beside the trail most of the way to the alpine play areas. After all, that's where the untracked powder is, and that's where the sleds can't go!

Cheers.
Brad

Timbersled Report

Advertisement

BradC
Writer
Writer

Postby BradC » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Well everyone, it's that time of the year again!

I'm heading out to play in the deep powder this weekend, and hopefully every weekend for the rest of the winter.

Here's a great video of a buddy of mine riding his KX450 with a Timbersled kit. The nice thing about this video is that you can hear the bike, and as you can see it's hardly ever pinned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtYUmrt96c

Cycleworks is now carrying the kits so go talk to Allison!

The snow's already deep and waiting for us to get out there and make the sleds look like dinosaurs!

Cheers.
Brad

Advertisement

Brass
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Brass » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 am

To those that own and ride the snow bikes, what is the best bike option?

We know a big motor is needed but what about transmission? Is the XC-W a better choice over and XC transmission?
The voices are back. Awesome!

Advertisement

350scott
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby 350scott » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 am

Brass wrote:To those that own and ride the snow bikes, what is the best bike option?

We know a big motor is needed but what about transmission? Is the XC-W a better choice over and XC transmission?

From my experience, the transmission doesn't matter a bunch. As long as you have the gearing low enough to get moving in first or second and high enough to get the track speed in higher gears, you're good to go. It's generally, dump the clutch and quickly shift up to 3rd/4th, and try to twist the grip off.

The bigger 4 stroke KTM's are probably the best option because of FI and that little button on the right side. If that little button doesn't matter so much, the KX450f is good solution. You get FI and they start the easiest of the MX bikes. Once I learned to start my KX it was almost always first or second kick.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2015 450XC-F
2014 300XC
2014 500/610XC-W (Snowbike)

Advertisement

BradC
Writer
Writer

Postby BradC » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:28 am

Having ridden snow bikes for 4 years, in many different conditions with many different other bikes (both 2 moto and Timbersled), here's my opnion and what I've experienced:

A very short first gear, then a longer 2nd and 3rd gear are perfect. I've pancaked my bike several times against walls of snow (coming up short on a creek jump is a great example), and rather than dig our way out, I got the bike started while it was almost verticle, and my buddy yanked on the ski while I crawled the bike up the creek bank. I did the same thing last week with a windblown drift in Revy. Having a first gear that barely turns allows the rider a lot more leeway to get the track to bite without spinning it and digging it in even worse. Sometimes slower IS better.

Off the trail I almost never get into 4th and up (my bike is a 505 XC with nitrous), and usually I start in 2nd gear - only using first when I don't want to spin the track.

Electric Start. VERY VERY handy in unstable terrain, or in the case I mentioned above where there is no possible way to get on the bike and/or kick it to start it. I ride with guys who don't have electric start, and they struggle at times. A common occurence: You're on a steep sidehill and have just dug in. The snow is wicked deep (10 feet). You've just dragged the bike around a bit so you can point downhill and turn back. You're out of breath, climb back up onto the bike (no small feat in itself!), kick it a couple of times and because there is nowhere to put your feet, the bike falls downhill. Now it's upside down in deep deep powder and you have to start over. I've helped lots of buddies in that exact same situation. I've been in it myself many times even with my electric start.

Having said that, electric start isn't necessary. 350Scott is correct that a KX450 works just fine. I know other guys who have them too and get around better than I do.

Hydraulic Clutch. A VERY nice to have. When you get into more technical terrain the clutch gets slipped 100% of the time on climbs to keep the bike in it's power band. The clutches heat up and if the cable isn't loosened off, it will burn out and leave you stranded. This has happened to 2 Jap bikes that I've ridden with in the last year. It's never yet happened to a bike with a hydraulic clutch - at least that I am aware of.

Good Gasline Antifreeze - Usually 2 bottles per 20 litres of fuel, and there are no problems even in fender deep powder. There's no need for a carbeurator heater kit or anything like that. Just jet it properly, and use good fuel with antifreeze.

C12 race fuel. For my dirt bikes I normally don't bother with it, but I HAVE found that this significantly increases the performance of the bike when mixed 50/50 with premium. It's expensive, but sure makes a difference when trying to start the bike high up in the back country in the deep snow.

One last thing: You don't need a monster bike to run these tracks. In fact, a big bike can significantly hinder you because these track kits shine in the technical stuff where you need to be somewhat nimble! A KTM 350 works! A 450 is great. Any bigger than a 570, you are going to get very tired working that bike. The timbersled kit isn't about horsepower like sledding. It's about riding technique. A buddy of mine took his KTM 990 out last weekend with the timbersled 37 inch track, and spent almost the entire day stuck. The thing is a real cool looking boat anchor.

Hope that helps.

Brad

Advertisement

Spinalguy
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor

Postby Spinalguy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 am

well there goes the dream of using my 950 super enduro...
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com/soft-tissue-injuries/

Advertisement

Return to “Snow stuff”