The Lake

Sled, ski, board, snow-bike area.

Same rules as elsewhere. No classified. Trial area to see if it gets used.
Forum rules
Anything snow related. Sled, snow-bike, ski, board, etc.

No Classified.
RTS
User
User

Re: The Lake

Postby RTS » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm a skier. :)

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

singletrack
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby singletrack » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:34 am

MtnBlue wrote:
singletrack wrote:
MtnBlue wrote:Heavy snowfall warning for mountain parks :applause:
Update: 30 cms and still snowing! :headbang:

Sounds interesting. I have volunteered to take the day off work tomorrow and verify these conditions. :D

Make sure to check the web site in the am. Not all terrain is open. Summit did not open today

We had a great time out yesterday, excellent snow conditions for November skiing. Outside of groomed runs there was nice powder, see photo below.

As you warned not all terrain is open and the web site did not give an accurate understanding of what's usable. Ptarmigan was open for an hour in the morning, Top of the World was closed to civilian traffic most of the day (for World Cup people), Summit Platter ran all day without a single skier on it (couldn't get over to check it but I'm pretty sure it was closed), and due to runs being closed there was no way to access Paradise or Larch chairs. And the World Cup is taking up one side of the mountain on the front side, closing a bunch of those runs. It is still very early in the season so I wasn't all that surprised.

I'm really looking forward to the black bowls opening up.

Looks like a great start to the season!
Attachments
1124111110-03.jpg

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:50 am

There was an early morning, skier triggered avalanche on exhibition (under Ptarmigan chair). This pulled all patrol off of control duty and over to that area. Hence the reason Top of the world didn't open until late in the day, and summit not at all. Great skiing for this early in the year. Those who went today had 60+cms waiting up top.
Last edited by MtnBlue on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Saturday update. It was snowing hard this morning at the lake. Although very busy parking for the race, hardly anybody skiing up top for the first few hours. Could be due to the zero visibilty..I like those days :D The snow backed off a bit around 11 just in time for the Men's race. I'm fortunate to have a few friends on moutain safety patrol, and was in the right place at the right time to get this season's opening of Whitehorn. Still a little "boney" in there, but good with "rock" skis. Heavy snowfall warning for tonight and tomorrow, could be another 20+cms on the way. :thumbsup:

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 am

More snow over the weekend. Sunday was a bit challenging with the high winds (read zero vis). Yesterday was bluebird with lots of fresh snow everywhere. Paradise opened. Boomerang opens today. Once the world cup races are over the hill will be in great shape :thumbsup:

Advertisement

Spinalguy
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor

Postby Spinalguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 am

MtnBlue, thanks for the detailed updates. If you could provide one again, i would like to let my bro know the real report as he is thinking of going tomorrow.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com/soft-tissue-injuries/

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:10 am

Spinalguy wrote:MtnBlue, thanks for the detailed updates. If you could provide one again, i would like to let my bro know the real report as he is thinking of going tomorrow.

Monday was my most recent visit. As mentioned, it was blue sky and pretty amazing skiing for so early. Looks like Feb. up there :D Outerlimits and over to Headwall bowl is skiing great, still a bit thin when you cut over to the bowl,but easy to manage. Whitehorn is good but, tricky on the entrance (as usual). It's not quite filled in yet so the upper rock band requires some navagation. I mainly skied gate 2 and chunkies. Can't comment on Paradis bowl (had to leave before it opened, but it got shralped fast). Think Boomerang open yesterday. As usual at this time of year, the travel routes down low require some attention. They are pretty chopped up and it's easy to come in there hot and get into trouble as all the skier/boarders get funnelled together. Reporting 4cm last night, but you know what 4 cms at the lake can mean!! :D Your Bro will have a good day :thumbsup:

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Haven't updated in awhile. Skied this past weekend. Pretty good for this time of the year. Didn't get too hammered by the Christmas crowds. The hill did get hammered by wind, so the front side of the mountain is scoured up top (grizzly bowl, up chutes, front side summit). The upside, the back is in great shape. ER 7, and A/B gully should be next on the opening list. Needs another snow fall which could be tonight/tomorrow. 20cms in the forecast :cheers:

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:51 am

20 + yesterday. Great skiing

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Sick skiing. Whitehorn II all the way across is open

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 am

Haven't updated in awhile. Hadn't been up in a couple weeks with the high pressure drought that was hanging over the mountains. Actually went riding instead :D Did go up monday (family day). Report was for 5cms, but was more like 15 + in the backside. Great skiing and very quiet for Family day. Went up yesterday, with a report of 11 cms. Backside gullies were 30cm+, with bluebird skies. This is one of those top 5 days of the year. Looks like we are back into a regular snow cycle with more snow forecasted for the weekend. :cheers:

Advertisement

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Postby MtnBlue » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 pm

March has been a record month for snow fall in the mountains. FYI Lake Louise received an intense snowsquall this morning that deposited 38cms in 6hrs :thumbsup:

Advertisement

Return to “Snow stuff”