Snowbiking

Sled, ski, board, snow-bike area.

Same rules as elsewhere. No classified. Trial area to see if it gets used.
Forum rules
Anything snow related. Sled, snow-bike, ski, board, etc.

No Classified.
rogue
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Snowbiking

Postby rogue » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Went to Golden last weekend on the snow bike and Silent Pass was reasonably good.

Anyone been to Fernie ?
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Snowbiking

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

bfdirect
RMDRA Sponsor
RMDRA Sponsor

Re: Snowbiking

Postby bfdirect » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:26 am

It has been raining in that area this week I heard so conditions are it that great yet. Same with Revy. I have been told from lots of customers that Golden area is still the only place "decent".

Our crew are all heading down to Koocanusa this weekend again and will let me know what the snow is looking like in the pass.

I am pumped to be heading out next week to Golden to test out the new Timbersled.
Attachments
image.jpg
Dean Thompson
BlackfootDirect.com
GM/Owner
403-214-2850
dean@blackfootdirect.com

Advertisement

Advertisements are displayed for all guests. Register and login to remove the ads.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Postby Brent » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:55 am

Despite what the ski resorts claim (Fernie is very optimistic) I find that Fernie is a late season destination...it takes longer to fill in. Revy is always awesome but the drive is to long for day trips, so I'm usually riding Golden now when I can.
Looking forward to hitting up Corbin soon, anyone been in that area recently?

Advertisement

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Postby cedric » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:29 am

This vid really makes me want to buy one of these things:
http://vimeo.com/99786310

Advertisement

Dobi
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby Dobi » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:24 pm

they are a blast, but hard to justify the entry cost unless you are fully committed to it. I can't justify that much time away from the family given all the other travel I do for work, so I rent the one out of Golden snowmobile rentals. It was $300 a day last year, and you can add an avi pack to the rental. You get $20k plus worth of bike and gear that you return at the end of the day with a full tank of fuel. :thumbsup:

If it is on your radar, I highly recommend doing it. You can get enough riding done in a one day rental to make you stiff and sore the next...

Advertisement

Jonny5
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Jonny5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:02 pm

Dobi wrote:they are a blast, but hard to justify the entry cost unless you are fully committed to it. I can't justify that much time away from the family given all the other travel I do for work, so I rent the one out of Golden snowmobile rentals. It was $300 a day last year, and you can add an avi pack to the rental. You get $20k plus worth of bike and gear that you return at the end of the day with a full tank of fuel. :thumbsup:

If it is on your radar, I highly recommend doing it. You can get enough riding done in a one day rental to make you stiff and sore the next...

Definitely interested in doing a 'guys' weekend to rent and ride.

If anyone else is thinking the same, let me and know and we can plan a trip at some point.

Jon
Jon G.
2014 KTM 350XCF
#66B

Advertisement

erniebearskin
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby erniebearskin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:28 pm

:cheers: Let me know J5.
Bikeless....

Advertisement

Braap791
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby Braap791 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:07 pm

I am in! :thumbsup:

Advertisement

Cberg77
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Cberg77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Jonny5 wrote:
Dobi wrote:they are a blast, but hard to justify the entry cost unless you are fully committed to it. I can't justify that much time away from the family given all the other travel I do for work, so I rent the one out of Golden snowmobile rentals. It was $300 a day last year, and you can add an avi pack to the rental. You get $20k plus worth of bike and gear that you return at the end of the day with a full tank of fuel. :thumbsup:

Definitely interested in doing a 'guys' weekend to rent and ride.

If anyone else is thinking the same, let me and know and we can plan a trip at some point.

Jon

I would probably interested in going out with you J5. When we were in Golden talking to the rental shop, I believe he had 2 bikes for rent this season.
I have a timbersled so I wouldn't need a rental , they are an absolute blast to ride and would be fun to show a couple guys around for a weekend. :thumbsup:

Advertisement

rogue
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby rogue » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:59 am

Revy has one as well. We should try and organize a ride this winter. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

Advertisement

erniebearskin
2017 RMDRA Member
2017 RMDRA Member

Postby erniebearskin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:45 pm

So that was a little humbling.

Super huge thanks to CBerg and 350scott for being generally awesome dudes all weekend with a hopeless noob.

A lot harder than dirt and other than throttle control not a lot of skills cross over, but man once you get up into some of the bowls.......wow those things are just incredible.

Thanks J5 for lining up the trip, until next year! :cheers:
Bikeless....

Advertisement

350scott
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby 350scott » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:00 am

erniebearskin wrote:So that was a little humbling.

Super huge thanks to CBerg and 350scott for being generally awesome dudes all weekend with a hopeless noob.

A lot harder than dirt and other than throttle control not a lot of skills cross over, but man once you get up into some of the bowls.......wow those things are just incredible.

Thanks J5 for lining up the trip, until next year! :cheers:

It was definitely a lot of fun. Really happy that we found good snow in a crappy snow year.
Attachments
Curtis.JPG
Scott.JPG
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2015 450XC-F
2014 300XC
2014 500/610XC-W (Snowbike)

Advertisement

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 5Lgreenback » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Any experienced snowbikers chime in here?

I'm debating getting one of these kits for my YZ250 with the YZ295 Mo Betta kit installed. For trail riding, I have the engine de-tuned slightly for more predictable linear power. But If I was to tune back to its more motocross characteristics, would this kit have the power to make the short track timbersled kit work? Or would it fall short in deep powder?

What other things will I likely have to do to the bike to get it functioning in the snow? Apparently theres air filter issues with snow in the intake? Also, the inability to power a carb heater or heated grips, will that be a problem?

Advertisement

350scott
RMDRA Lifetime Member
RMDRA Lifetime Member

Postby 350scott » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:19 pm

5Lgreenback wrote:Any experienced snowbikers chime in here?

I'm debating getting one of these kits for my YZ250 with the YZ295 Mo Betta kit installed. For trail riding, I have the engine de-tuned slightly for more predictable linear power. But If I was to tune back to its more motocross characteristics, would this kit have the power to make the short track timbersled kit work? Or would it fall short in deep powder?

What other things will I likely have to do to the bike to get it functioning in the snow? Apparently theres air filter issues with snow in the intake? Also, the inability to power a carb heater or heated grips, will that be a problem?

Unless you are a real heavy weight, it will have the power to make a ST Timbersled work. Lot's of guys are using KTM 300's with no issues. I've got a 4 stroke but my understanding is the biggest issue with 2 strokes is getting the carb to work across a wide range of temps and altitudes. Lot's of guys are going with compensating carbs (i.e. Lectron or Smartcarb).

As for the air filter, the best is to run some type of pod set up and cut the airbox as needed to make sure snow doesn't build up too much. Excess electrical power is more of a nice to have rather than a necessity.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2015 450XC-F
2014 300XC
2014 500/610XC-W (Snowbike)

Advertisement

5Lgreenback
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 5Lgreenback » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks for the info. Im 190lbs without gear, so I may be near the upper limit. It sounds as if I'll need to invest in an extra airbox to modify for winter riding.

Advertisement

Return to “Snow stuff”