Helmet recommendations

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Helmet recommendations

Post by cerealkiller »

CMA requires a snell 2010 rated helmet to participate in the races, so I need a new lid.

Any recommendations for something reasonably light in the up-to-$300 range?

I was considering the Fly F2 Carbon. Anyone have this helmet already?
-Jared
#44b

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Re: Helmet recommendations

Post by primerib72 »

Blackfoot direct sometimes has the Troy Lee Designs Air helmet on sale around that $$$ range. Just a smidgen heavier than the Airoh and the fit and ventilation is top notch plus it is snell rated.
CR250R

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Interesting. It would be nice to get one locally and support a shop that's on the forum. Looks like the price online is $377-$425 though... Are all air models the same with different graphics?
-Jared
#44b

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Yes there are many different graphics available if you want to match up to your current gear. Problem is one helmut doesn't work for everyone......might want to try one out and see if it fits yer melon properly. Many times in my instance the more expensive helmets end up being a better fit for me.
CR250R

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

I strongly recommend the HJC CL-X6.

Well priced (~$150.00 in Canada I think), Snell 2010 rated, removable lining and available snowcross mask.

Fits a long oval head better than a round head, even has plenty of room for MY nose.
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Not sure about ratings but I like the Bell Moto helmets. I have a Moto8, Rider Eh! liked it so much he ordered a Moto8, followed by a Moto9. I think they are working on, or have the Moto10 out now?

Generally 180-240ish. Locally? Probably 400+

Drool: http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/ ... arbon-5976

Just confirmed. Moto9's are Snell 2010 and DOT.

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

RJHenry wrote:I strongly recommend the HJC CL-X6.

Well priced (~$150.00 in Canada I think), Snell 2010 rated, removable lining and available snowcross mask.

Fits a long oval head better than a round head, even has plenty of room for MY nose.
I picked up a new HJC CL-X6 at the GW sale for $134, Reg price $189. Blackfoot direct has them at $139(last time looked).

Jon
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

takethebounce
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takethebounce »

Helmet choices are as variable as oil choices.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much a helmet is or what rating it has, a poorly sized $500 helmet is likely not as good as a properly sized $100 helmet. If you have no experience in sizing a helmet, that is the first thing you should do. Go visit a reputable shop and find someone who knows how to size a helmet. More often then not, many people size their lid too larger for their head. Helmets should be snug. There shouldn't be any movement on your head. It shouldn't turn side to side at all, or move on your fore head. It should slightly pinch your cheeks like a chipmunk. A helmet should control the momentum transfer between the person's head and the impact surface and must also manage the total impact energy. Improper fitting helmets will not do this.

As mentioned, not all helmets fit everyone. The shell designs between companies vary. Some helmets are of a round/round design, some oval/round. TLD helmets are a round/round design. I can't wear them. I believe Bell is more of a round/round as well.

Shoei, HJC, Fox, and others are more of a Oval/Round design. You simply can not pick a helmet off the internet and figure it will fit you well.

As far as the Fly F2 carbon goes, I used Fly F2's for a few years. I would keep using them, but I have a new favorite helmet. It is not a Snell 2010 compliant helmet so I won't bother mentioning it. I have to say though its the best helmet ever! (aside from it not being listed as a Snell) I would get another Fly F2 though, its decently light weight and the liner is easy to clean.

I have a Shoei VFX-w that I never wear, it fit well for a season then the second season started to pinch the back of my head. I have had Fox, HJC in recent years as well. This all might be useless info for you but I would spend up to your $300 limit. You can get a very good helmet at that price point. I figure a $50 helmet is for a $50 head. :lol:

As for Snell certified helmets, you can go here http://www.smf.org/cert and enter in the helmet info to see if it is on the list.

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Thanks for all the info!

I went down to blackfoot direct after work today to try out the HJC. It was ok. Price seems good and it is pretty light. Doesn't seem like there's much venting though. Didn't care for the color schemes they had in stock either, so I took a pass.
-Jared
#44b

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

My first helmet was pretty heavy, but it was super comfy and cheap. Zox @ Walt Healy. Way less than $200. Wearing Fox V3 now, it's nice too.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------