Sore knees

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Sore knees

Post by bikingagain »

So after most rides my knees are pretty sore. I was thinking that maybe a neoprene type sleeve under my knee braces might help. Has anyone had similar issues that can put in their two cents? Thanks
2018 KTM 300 xc
My Last Fight I Won By Two Blocks.
I Love Single Track. Except For All The Trees

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Sore knees

Post by Rod »

Merino wool long-johns from MEC. Merino wool is supposed to be good in hot or cold, I never get too hot wearing them. They withstand alot of abuse, and the chicks dig them.

Rod

P.S. When I bought them the sales associate said they came with a lifetime warranty. I ended up tearing a hole in mine and they exchanged them with no questions asked (and I didn't even have the receipt any longer!)
'13 KTM 250 xc

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Wool long johns help with knee fatigue? Who would have thought. Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:
2018 KTM 300 xc

DaveSimmons
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by DaveSimmons »

a load of beer for instant pain relief after the event, followed by 6 days of walking like John Wayne, on the seventh day, God says you're good to ride.. :thumbsup:

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

DaveSimmons wrote:a load of beer for instant pain relief after the event, followed by 6 days of walking like John Wayne, on the seventh day, God says you're good to ride.. :thumbsup:
I think we need to go for a ride together soon. The post party sounds fun :D
2018 KTM 300 xc

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Rod »

bikingagain wrote:Wool long johns help with knee fatigue? Who would have thought. Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:
Lol, I misunderstood your problem. My knee braces were rubbing/bugging me so the wool helped with that.

Looks like Dave's suggestion may be more on track!

Cheers,
Rod
Last edited by Rod on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'13 KTM 250 xc

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Just sit down when you ride.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

I guess I should have said my knees get tired and start to hurt. Being sore is a bit broad. :thinking:
350scott wrote:Just sit down when you ride.
If I sit down much more I would have to start a thread about my butt getting sore and that would just open me up to too many jokes. :lol:
2018 KTM 300 xc

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

bikingagain wrote:I guess I should have said my knees get tired and start to hurt. Being sore is a bit broad. :thinking:
350scott wrote:Just sit down when you ride.
If I sit down much more I would have to start a thread about my butt getting sore and that would just open me up to too many jokes. :lol:
And starting a thread about your knees being sore is better?? :lol:
The voices are back. Awesome!

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

it's more about what you do off the bike.

You don't normally stand for extended periods or do a few hundred repeated squats in a normal office job so you have to hit the gym and try to replicate that. I like air squats or a squat with a light overhead bar to help with range of motion, and when you want the big burn get out the balancing board. If you are starting out and range of motion is an issue, start with a yoga ball mid back and lean against a wall.

To kill two birds at once, you could hit the rowing machine. It is a great off season training tool.

and last, but definitely not least is stretching and warm up. Yoga isn't just for creepy old men anymore....

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

or you could come see me for a complete knee exam to find out WHY your knees hurt :lol:
:thumbsup:
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

twitch13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by twitch13 »

As a guy that has had 3 knee surgeries I have found a couple of things that always make my knees feel better. First is keeping in shape, doing some exercises (squats, leg curls, etc.) always helps as well as stretching helps keep me in a better position to not be hammering my knees.

The biggest thing that has been helping my knee pain recently is using a lacrosse ball (or tennis ball) on my lower body to ease the tension out of my legs and lower back (I have a desk job so sitting in the same position all the time is not good for tension). I have attached a link to a website that has some good exercises for this (http://www.laurensfitness.com/2008/02/2 ... lower-body). The best thing to do is talk to a physiotherapist or a good personal trainer to show you how to do the exercises properly and give you a program that you can do at home while you are in front of the TV.

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

In addition to the overall fitness advice, perhaps adding some bar rise may take a bit of the "squat" out of the equation and provide some relief. :cheers:

timbruce
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by timbruce »

Mikey, turn up the volume in your muay thai classes. You are getting old and status quo just will not do any more :smirk:

bikingagain
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by bikingagain »

Thanks guys for all the input :thumbsup:
timbruce wrote:Mikey, turn up the volume in your muay thai classes. You are getting old and status quo just will not do any more :smirk:
I was hopeing the Muay Thai was keeping me in shape :thinking: I think I do about hundred squats a class, but not with any weight..maybe I can wear my helmet and camel back to class. :smirk:
malcolmzilla wrote:In addition to the overall fitness advice, perhaps adding some bar rise may take a bit of the "squat" out of the equation and provide some relief. :cheers:
It helped with my last bike so will make sure I get a bit of rise on my new one, Thanks

Sounds like I have to exercise...no magic pill :crybaby:
Thanks again
2018 KTM 300 xc