Frozen Gas line !!

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Frozen Gas line !!

Post by dirtyboy »

I love my 4 stroke bike but today I learned something about having a 20 micron or some even have a 10 micron fuel filter.

The bike was turning over fast enough to start but it wouldn't start. So I checked the spark plug and it looked fine and it had excellent spark. Next I checked the fuel line and fuel filter. I found a nice little ice cube in the fuel filter that was starving the bike for fuel. After it thawed out it ran perfect. Moral of the story is to use a gas line antifreeze.

Thanks to WRocks for helping me not hurt my bike. WRocks informed me that the standard Methyl Hydrate, Methyl Alcohol, or Methanol type gas line anti-freeze is NOT good for our bikes. Apparently, the methanol turns acid during combustion and would be poor for aluminum heads and such. He suggests using IsoPropyl Alcohol, or IPA as a gas-line anti-freeze or ethanol based gas line anti-freeze.

So 50ml of gas line anti-freeze in a jerry can is a good thing. :thumbsup:

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Frozen Gas line !!

Post by thirtyseven »

Could you just put a drain on the lowest part of the line and keep the tank full between rides?
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Another reason to ride 2 strokes.

Sorry about your luck Dave, great day today...conditions were mint!

And in all seriousness great info, cheers to you and WR

:cheers:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Why not try lower grade gas with ethanhol and other additives already added. Doesn't make sense to me to pay for premium then start adding stuff to it if mid grade or regular will give the same result.
#Z3B

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

thirtyseven wrote:Could you just put a drain on the lowest part of the line and keep the tank full between rides?
its not a 172

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

i just put my bike by my truck exhaust if i am transporting it on very cold days. Never had a problem getting it started with exhaust warming it up while i dressed.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

axel99 wrote:Why not try lower grade gas with ethanhol and other additives already added. Doesn't make sense to me to pay for premium then start adding stuff to it if mid grade or regular will give the same result.
I was wondering about that if the octane level was sufficient in the bike. I might give this a try.
Spinalguy wrote:i just put my bike by my truck exhaust if i am transporting it on very cold days. Never had a problem getting it started with exhaust warming it up while i dressed.
That's what I did the other day. The engine was warm to the touch after that but it wasn't enough to thaw out the ice in the line.

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

dirtyboy wrote:
axel99 wrote:Why not try lower grade gas with ethanhol and other additives already added. Doesn't make sense to me to pay for premium then start adding stuff to it if mid grade or regular will give the same result.
I was wondering about that if the octane level was sufficient in the bike. I might give this a try.
Spinalguy wrote:i just put my bike by my truck exhaust if i am transporting it on very cold days. Never had a problem getting it started with exhaust warming it up while i dressed.
That's what I did the other day. The engine was warm to the touch after that but it wasn't enough to thaw out the ice in the line.
that sucks db. Had you been storing the bike in the trailer during the freeze? Mine has never gotten that frozen but i do put it in heated garage after any winter rides.
You hurt? You just want to optimize your performance? Step inside...http://spinalguy.com

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

That's like preheating the the bike for about a hour :smirk:
#Z3B

Spinalguy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Spinalguy »

axel99 wrote:
That's like preheating the the bike for about a hour :smirk:
:excuse: i try and dress quickly :lol:

kennyblatz
Writer
Writer

Post by kennyblatz »

Yes isoproply or close to that spelling is what you need i always used abit on my sled. Freeze up can be worse for guys that store bikes in heated garage. The temperature changes causes lots of condensate in the tank leading to water freezing in the lines but i rode lots of -20 to -35 in winnipeg
2010 450 exc