DIRT SHARK TIRES

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

The front shark SUCKS The knobs are soft and roll over in turns, scary experience. The rear shark rules!! I used it at the sharples race this weekend and it was hooking up great and I had put on 12 hours on it before the race. The knobs stand pretty tall for grab and good cleaning but I think there are more knobs then normal so that adds for longevity...the tire really lasts a long time. I was going to only use them for regular riding and use michelins S12 for racing but I think I will just stick to the sharks
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Dirt Shark Front Tire

Well my Dirt Shark test has produced some results---keep the rear , sell the front. The tire has 2 rides on it and is in perfect condition, however I would recommend that the tire go to a beginner rider or a casual trail rider. It provided good traction on wet logs and rocks and even mud, but the knobs are IMHO too tall and squirm under hard cornering, producing a less than confident feeling if you are pushing it. It may work better if you had a lighter combination of bike and rider than I do ,but that's another story and a personal choice also!
I totally agree Bigdog---WR Dave. :cheers:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think that you guys have to take into consideration that you are both on 4 stroke bikes. The 4T bike uses the front tire completely different than a 2T bike does. The 4T depends on the front and the 2T doesn't worry so much about it.

IMO the dirt shark front is good on the 2T if it is dry or in snow conditions. If it's wet, it's not that good. It could depend on the day though.

:cheers:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Hey Dave,that's why I mentioned the lighter bike/rider combo would likely work better with this tire. WR Dave :banana:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

WR_Dave wrote:Hey Dave,that's why I mentioned the lighter bike/rider combo would likely work better with this tire. WR Dave :banana:
Are you calling me a light weight? Big Dave? :D Well I guess my bike is anyway..... :redneck:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I wouldn't do that DB, I'm just saying that my bike and I aren't looking to shave off those extra 2 grams to save weight by using Ti footpegs. :D :D . WR Dave.

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

So will this front tire work for me is the question? I am not really a lightweight...unless you consider riding skill in there! :banana:

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

rescue9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rescue9 »

This tire looks a lot like the Kenda Millville. Any comments? :confused:
04 DRZ 400

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Hey Glenn, for me it was a $40 test. for you it will be a $25 test. I think it will be a good tire for you, but You will have to be the judge of that. We are all experimenting here. Let me know what you decide--WR Dave :crazy:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

Yeah, I will definitely give it a try. I'll give you a call when I am done work this week.

Glenn.
_______
Glenn.
2024 KTM 300 XC-W
2018 KTM 250 XC
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Rescue9, the front is a bit like the Millville just with taller knobs, the back is identical to the old IRC MB5 tire which was a great rear tire, long lasting and good traction in most situations. Glenn, let me know what day you will be available and we can work something out. WR Dave.

rescue9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rescue9 »

Cool.... I will have to give them a try also.
Cheers!!
04 DRZ 400