Rad Repair - Brazing

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Rad Repair - Brazing

Post by Jonny5 »

Well, so it would seem a bolt on my fancy new Scorpion Rad guards managed to cause a small tear in one of the horizontal tubes causing a small leak. I am not diss'in Scorpion, I installed them myslef and this was probably the cause. :banghead:

As a do-it-yourself kind of guy, I am going to try to braze the hole myself. After some indepth research via You Tube, it appears fairly easy. It also seems that a propane torch may be able to create enough heat for the process.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried it, feed back, etc. Also how reliable has it been.

Jon

......an investment/finance guy trying to weld...aluminum......this should be interesting.
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Rad Repair - Brazing

Post by cerealkiller »

I've done it to a truck radiator before (guess which truck :thinking: ). It's held up for several months now just fine. I found some spots on the same rad where it had been done before, so they must be more than 5 years old now.

Propane torch worked fine. I tried a high-powered solder gun first thinking it would heat the surrounding area less and might be safer, but it failed dismally. Just not enough heat. Make sure the area is clean and dry before you start (if the rads are new, I think you will be fine). Make sure you have the right kind of rods too.

PS: Jon, come out riding on the 26th. See the upcoming events section for details :D
-Jared
#44b

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

Jared,

I am having trouble finding the proper rod. Where did you get your supplies?

Help me get up and running so I can come to your ride on Wednesday. :D :D :D
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

I used "metalwork" solder on my radiator because the hole was small. Probably not the right stuff for you. Homedepot used to stock the Bernzomatic AL3 rods which might work for you. I never tried them, so I don't know how well it works. I've ordered Durafix rods in the past, but I don't think there's a local source for them.

Or... slap the stock rad back on one side if you can't get it in time :D

EDIT:

What about these? http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en
-Jared
#44b

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I dropped my rad off at Trillion industries for an afternoon and for $50 or so I had a professional job done. I have been wanting to see what it would take for him to add some corner braces while he is in there doing the work. Most of the time is set-up so in theory to blast on four corner braces should take very little time....

cerealkiller
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cerealkiller »

Hey Jon. Maybe you have already fixed your rad, but if not... I tried out those rods from Canadian tire yesterday. I was curious how well they worked, and I thought they might be handy to have for temporary repairs to aluminum bits. Couldn't get them to work with a propane torch -just not hot enough. Maybe MAPP would get the job done?
-Jared
#44b

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

Results are not good. The propane torch just did not heat the metal enough. I believe an acetylene torch is needed and I do not have one. I think the way a rad is built, it spreads out the heat too fast for a propane torch.

On the advise of my neighbor (who is a mechanic), I used a product called STIC - TITE. He said really great things about it. He(and his riding buddies) have used in it for years with great results. It is like a thin stick(comes in a coil), similar to heat glue. You heat the rad and the product up and spread it on and let it flow. Simple as that. To be honest, if it where not for his confidence and history with it, I would not have used such a product. It is a pin hole leak, and if it does not hold, I will most likely try to fix it with a tig.

However, I do think this would be a great product to carry along for on-the-trail repairs. I think a small torch(the kind with a lighter in it) and a small amount could easily keep you rippin-it-up, instead of walking-it-out!

It's out there, just google it.
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

TIG requires the material to be very clean and free of paint/epoxies/plastics.
Hopefully the STIC-TITE works, because unless you can remove it, TIG is not an option.

For on the trail repairs, I carry a 2 part epoxy stick. I have fixed clutch covers, rads and even a clutch lever with it.
A must have for any tool pack, just carry disposable gloves, as mixung it with bare hand is probably not a good idea.
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

WRocks wrote:TIG requires the material to be very clean and free of paint/epoxies/plastics.
Hopefully the STIC-TITE works, because unless you can remove it, TIG is not an option.

For on the trail repairs, I carry a 2 part epoxy stick. I have fixed clutch covers, rads and even a clutch lever with it.
A must have for any tool pack, just carry disposable gloves, as mixung it with bare hand is probably not a good idea.
X2 on the epoxy stick. Its a must have in your kit.
#Z3B

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

And the bonus with the epoxy sticks is they come with a nice plastic tube that you can wrap some electrical and duct tape around. With the epoxy and various tapes, you can temporarily cover almost any hole you put in your bike.
Last edited by 350scott on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

What is the two part epoxy called and where did you it?
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Princess Auto
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... utty-Stick
If/when you need it, will be the best 5 bucks you'll ever spend...
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

Jonny5
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Jonny5 »

Thanks, I will definitely be getting some.
Jon G.
2018 KTM 350XCF

AJRJ
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by AJRJ »

I just picked some up, smoking deal at 35%off.