First Top-End job - Completed

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

First Top-End job - Completed

Post by Dobi »

Well, I finally got up the courage to do my own top-end :attention: . I downloaded the sevice manual from KTM talk, read about 200 threads on the top-end, and powervalve cleaning and setting, and watched the odd harescramble video for motivation! I pulled the motor right out of the bike as I needed to grease everything in the swingarm, etc. and completed the whole task on the work bench. The powervalve was clean and within spec so I left it alone, the new ring had perfect end gap so no adjustment was needed there. The X dimension was easy enough to set with all the paper thin gaskets my dealer provided me with.

The best part was it took way less time than I thought and it fired up second kick. I was worried about using loc-tite on everything for fear that I would just be pulling it back apart that afternoon! The new silencer is amazingly quiet and the jetting appears to match up with the new pipe too(it idles better now than it ever has).

I am telling you all this because you will share in my enthusiasm, whereas my wife looked at me with confusion and wondered why I would be doing the top end myself if I wasn't sure I could do it right and make it run afterwards :excuse:

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

Sounds like you did your homework and were successful,Congratulations!!!- As a licensed tech I have seen a lot of stuff brought to me over the years from "backyard mechanics" and hate to see it go that way!! :banana:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Congrats, Mike! It's just nuts and bolts and the Japanese/Austrians that assemble our bikes to begin with, can't be that much smarter than us. At least that is my humble opinion. You never know if you can do something until you try. Wrong tools is usually the first hurdle of a mechanic trying something for the first time. WR Dave. :applause: :cool:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Awesome Dobi,

What motor and silencer do you have? 300?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

dirtyboy wrote:Awesome Dobi,

What motor and silencer do you have? 300?
I have an '03 250SX with a Gnarly pipe and I just threw on a freshly packed silencer off an '04 300EXC (thanks ebay!)

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Oh, the hockey stick! Nice.

I like my stock EURO spec silencer also. :thumbsup:

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

dirtyboy wrote:Oh, the hockey stick! Nice.

I like my stock EURO spec silencer also. :thumbsup:
for $40US I can live with it over that nice shiny "Q" that Santa failed to deliver :bonk: