Race Tech Shock Spring

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
LilMel17
User
User

Race Tech Shock Spring

Post by LilMel17 »

I need to change my shock spring from stock to better fit my weight.
I am going to get a Race Tech shock spring from Motovan, but i'm not sure which size to get. :confused:
If anyone could steer my in the right direction that would be great thanks. I don't know enough about suspension to know which size shock i should get :blush:

I was wondering if this shock would be good for my weight SHK SPR 63X260 PDS P15 :thinking:

I have a KTM200XC and i am Approx 117lbs (without gear on) :blush:

Mel

Kick it, Flip it, Dust it off and do it again, Moto... this is what smiles are made of!
Live, love, Ride

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Race Tech Shock Spring

Post by axel99 »

WRocks has a spring posted in the classifieds for a really good price for a 200lb rider. If there is not a typo in the weight you gave then it won't work for you.
#Z3B

LilMel17
User
User

Post by LilMel17 »

haha yeah there's no typo, i'm around 117lbs. I did find the part numbers in Parts Canada to be more helpful as they have weights listed, motovan didn't have weights listed.

Unfortunately for weight-Race Tech doesn't go anything less then a shock for a 145lb rider for the 200xc. On parts Can the part number is 204914 so hopefully that will work.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!! Thanks

Mel
Mel

Kick it, Flip it, Dust it off and do it again, Moto... this is what smiles are made of!
Live, love, Ride

JohnE
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by JohnE »

Maybe call Race Tech and see if they have a suggestion (spring off another shock?) or could make a custom spring?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

i went to a 6.2 rear and .38's in the front on my wifes 09 200XC

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

I can't exactly remember which rear spring that bike came with, but if it was a 6.9 N/MM rate rear I would recommend the 6.3 N/MM for you (Or even a 6.3 KG rate which would measure 6.2N/MM). On the front .40 N/MM rate springs would fair well as I believe .44 are stockers. If you are on an 08' 200XC you might benefit from going to the .38 fronts as Dobi mentioned in a previous post. the 08'xc front suspenders were notoriously known for being harsh so a slightly softer spring up front might fit the bill, especially if you ride on the less aggresive side of the spectrum.

I am not a fan of pds rear springs, you should stick with a strait rate spring for the back, equally not a fan of race tech either, I had springs some fromt hem that waayy to short and the rate didn't even check out close to what they were supposed to be. Off shore stuff.

Post an add in the wanted and you might just find what you are looking for at a good price. Otherwise, wp brand from the dealer would be my choice. go and see Allison at Cycleworks and she migh tbe able to `hook`you up as well.

if buying used make sure the front springs are for XC, springs for the XCW are substantially longer and will not work in your XC. From memory Ithink XC springs measure ~485 mm long.

good luck

Set your rear sag as follows on that bike:

static - 35mm
lookl for race/ride sag of 115mm

LilMel17
User
User

Post by LilMel17 »

steve-o wrote:I can't exactly remember which rear spring that bike came with, but if it was a 6.9 N/MM rate rear I would recommend the 6.3 N/MM for you (Or even a 6.3 KG rate which would measure 6.2N/MM). On the front .40 N/MM rate springs would fair well as I believe .44 are stockers. If you are on an 08' 200XC you might benefit from going to the .38 fronts as Dobi mentioned in a previous post. the 08'xc front suspenders were notoriously known for being harsh so a slightly softer spring up front might fit the bill, especially if you ride on the less aggresive side of the spectrum.

I am not a fan of pds rear springs, you should stick with a strait rate spring for the back, equally not a fan of race tech either, I had springs some fromt hem that waayy to short and the rate didn't even check out close to what they were supposed to be. Off shore stuff.

Post an add in the wanted and you might just find what you are looking for at a good price. Otherwise, wp brand from the dealer would be my choice. go and see Allison at Cycleworks and she migh tbe able to `hook`you up as well.

if buying used make sure the front springs are for XC, springs for the XCW are substantially longer and will not work in your XC. From memory Ithink XC springs measure ~485 mm long.

good luck

static - 35mm
Awesome thanks! Right now there is a 6.3 on the bike.

Mel
Mel

Live, love, Ride

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

LilMel17 wrote:
steve-o wrote:I can't exactly remember which rear spring that bike came with, but if it was a 6.9 N/MM rate rear I would recommend the 6.3 N/MM for you (Or even a 6.3 KG rate which would measure 6.2N/MM). On the front .40 N/MM rate springs would fair well as I believe .44 are stockers. If you are on an 08' 200XC you might benefit from going to the .38 fronts as Dobi mentioned in a previous post. the 08'xc front suspenders were notoriously known for being harsh so a slightly softer spring up front might fit the bill, especially if you ride on the less aggresive side of the spectrum.

if buying used make sure the front springs are for XC, springs for the XCW are substantially longer and will not work in your XC. From memory Ithink XC springs measure ~485 mm long.M

good luck

static - 35mm
Awesome thanks! Right now there is a 6.3 on the bike.

Get a 6.0 then ! And then therest stands.

Mel