Bullet proof design radiator guards question

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Wangchung
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Bullet proof design radiator guards question

Post by Wangchung »

After squishing my radiator a little on Sunday (have the KTM tube style rad guards installed), I'm thinking that there has to be a better rad guard out there. Is the BPD units worth the ~$200 ? Thanks for any input
2018 Husqvarna TX300
2014 KTM 450 SXF FE
2014 KX500 (KTM 350 frame)
2011 KTM 350 XCF (for sale)
2005 KTM 525 MXC
2002 CR500 (CRF450 frame)
1981 YZ465

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Bullet proof design radiator guards question

Post by MotorEd »

yes, these are expensive, but are worth every penny IMO. you can get BPD for 189USD if you search.

They will be on every bike i own.

:cheers:

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Yes they are worth it, they will shrug off hits that will have the typical brake pressed aluminum sheet ones folding up.
Price out a new KTM radiator and the decision is easy. :D

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I have had really good luck with my Scorpion guards. The ones that don't have front protection. I know guys that have bought new rads with BRP due to frontal impacts so I think it is more of a luck of the draw than a protection issue.

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

Dobi wrote:I have had really good luck with my Scorpion guards. The ones that don't have front protection. I know guys that have bought new rads with BRP due to frontal impacts so I think it is more of a luck of the draw than a protection issue.
I agree the Scorpion frames are plenty strong. If you desire front protection, front metal guards/grills can be added to these frames.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Dobi wrote:I have had really good luck with my Scorpion guards. The ones that don't have front protection. I know guys that have bought new rads with BRP due to frontal impacts so I think it is more of a luck of the draw than a protection issue.
i run into too many trees so i need front protection. BPD have excellent air flow too .

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

Been using BPD's for years now and think they are the schniz.
They also have a lifetime warranty. If you break onw they'll replace it. I have had to call on that, so emailed a picture and they sent a new gaurd. I just had to pay shipping.
BPD has a really neat chain guide brace, that will kelp prevent the tabs from breaking off the swingarm. If you get rad gaurds, I'd get one of these too.

If you are going to order, send me a PM, as id like to get the gaurd for my 2012 XC "2012 KTM XC/SX/SXF Swing Arm Guard"

Cheers,
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I had to order a new rad with the BRP, however a couple of weeks later I hit another poker and the guard totally protected the rad from being damaged. This latest one would have killed the rad if I had the the plastic louvers installed.

I think the total over the years is with BRP is 1 rad vs 12 saves. And the new BRP design has some changes to protect the tab on the rad that the shroud connects to. :thumbsup: Also, there is no additional width to the bike with the BRP guards installed like some others do. I like the slim feel of the bike the way it was designed because it allows you to get forward.

RJHenry
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by RJHenry »

I have progressively crushed my 450X radiators (from the side) particularly the left. I have recently ordered a set of these:
http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/esho ... rs_Set.htm

and a set of these:
http://www.mohardracing.com/GuardBackside.html

I was astounded at the price of the rads (260/pair), so I did some checking on 450X forums and thumpertalk and found enough good things about Myler's rads that I ordered a set. Plus, "spring" means 10% off AND he has offered $60 core credit for my crushed stock rads.

The guards were pricy (210/pair) but appear built like a tank.

Once it all arrives and gets installed, I'll be able to tell you more... either I will be the happiest guy on the hill or in an epic battle with an internet supplier.
RJH
Robert J Henry
2016 Husqvarna FE350

bigsky300
User
User

Post by bigsky300 »

RJH, thanks for the link. It is impressive the stuff we can get for these bikes.

anotheroldtrailrider
Writer
Writer

Post by anotheroldtrailrider »

The BPD units are nice, but a little pricey - I like Flatland Racing guards, as they include a brace behind the radiator that's pretty effective at keeping the radiator from getting mashed backwards, and they completely protect the tab that sticks out the side of the radiator - I've seen a couple radiators ruined when that shroud mounting tab got ripped off.

http://www.flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Prejudice alert - I've been friends with Flatland's owner for several decades, but he stands behind his stuff 100%, and a surprising amount of stuff in other people's catalogs actually came off his machines.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I've never had an issue with Flat Land racing (two bikes), Unibiker (one bike) and my BPD (one bike).

They are all solid.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I had a set of Flatland rad guards on my last bike. A solid hit on the side of the bike and they folded up like a wet taco! I bought a new rad that day.

To their credit, the folks at flatland did send out a new set of guards.

Along with Dobi and 350Scott, I'm a big fan of the Scorpion Racing (now called Emporer Racing) rad frame with the front grill. They have taken huge hits and still survive with no damage to the rads. Unlike a lot of the other Unibiker and Flatland type guards, you also don't have to trim your shrouds for things to fit.

As an extra plus, they are made locally, in Chilliwack BC, and support local racers as well. The owner, Steve, still answers the phone when you call their number!

See pages, 13 and 15 here:
http://emperorracing.com/uploads/Empero ... 013_V2.pdf
The voices are back. Awesome!

bigsky300
User
User

Post by bigsky300 »

The emperor/scorpion guards look good, but not sure if they accept the ktm fan kit if needed. The flatland racing guard is inexpensive and works with a fan if you want.