200 making a 'whirring' sound

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
stretch
Writer
Writer

200 making a 'whirring' sound

Post by stretch »

Bike seems to work fine but everyone tells me it sounds wrong. If you have/had a 200 and know what I'm talking about, or what would cause a 'whirring' noise, please PM me.
# 87

Rod
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 200 making a 'whirring' sound

Post by Rod »

Mine makes a noise too (250 XC). It's been doing it since I got it, so I HOPE it's ok!

Is this the noise you are getting?

Rod

Not my videos, but mine makes the same noise as in these:

'13 KTM 250 xc

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

those videos represent a normal, good sounding bike.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Does it make the whirring noise always when running, regardless of in gear/neutral, bike is rolling or standing still? Does the noise get louder/faster with more engine rpm? If it makes the noise in neutral, does pulling the clutch lever in change the noise?

stretch
Writer
Writer

Post by stretch »

Sounds like this when in neutral:

I plan on racing Porkies and am hoping it's nothing to worry about. And that if I do need to worry, I'm hoping I can find someone to fix it before Sunday :)

# 87

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Tough call. It sounds like your video camera has some dirt in the microphone. Mine did that a bit ago. Not sure about the bike. Is there oil in the gas?

Primerib18 is a 2 stroke genius. What does he think?

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I think something sounds off there. I would pull your clutch cover and flywheel cover and make sure nothing is contacting the covers on the inside, like a backed out clutch bolt, or some sort of debris. Will only take a few minutes. Does it make the same noise in neutral if the clutch is pulled in?

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

dirtyboy wrote:Primerib18 is a 2 stroke genius. What does he think?
If that were only true Dirty :lol:

By no means a KTM expert but to me it sounds like a bearing.......crank or connecting rod maybe but making a completely different sound compared to the accompanied tick or knocking noise they usually make. Deb's sounds like a wheel bearing on a truck that makes a howling noise when it gives out. Hopefully that is somewhat of an accurate description of the noise.

I have also though of a stator rubbing against the case but that would probably make more of a grinding noise. But, she posted the question here for some good insight because really I am at a loss.
CR250R

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Yep, it could easily be a bad bearing. Might be hard to find without a complete teardown. How many hours on the bike?

stretch
Writer
Writer

Post by stretch »

It's a 2011 with around 70hrs. The clutch cover & flywheel cover will get pulled tonite to see what's going on there. I'll race Sunday, then I'm out of town for a bit and not racing until June 10.
If it still makes that noise after Porkies, I'll be looking for someone who wants to make some $$$ doing an exploratory teardown while I'm away... :thinking:
# 87

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

The clutch cover is a good idea, cedric. Both actually. What type of premix have you been running? Without premix the bearing might start to make some noise without lubrication.

You don't have to drain the oil. Just lay it over on the opposite side so the clutch cover is up and it can be removed. No oil in the stator side so no worries.

After all that, If you take the plug out, can you rotate the engine (maybe with the stator cover off so you can turn it with that) and see if you hear the noise just by turning manually. That might tell you how serious it is.

Abeo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Abeo »

Any update?

Agree that it sounds like a bearing. Based on the vid and a wild guess, water pump bearing gets my vote. I'd check the oil/coolant levels too. Coolant in oil (or vice versa) would indicate the bearing went and took the seal with it.
Ian
Old bike--> 2001 CR250
New Ride--> 2015 KTM 200 XCW

stretch
Writer
Writer

Post by stretch »

Abeo wrote:Any update?

Agree that it sounds like a bearing. Based on the vid and a wild guess, water pump bearing gets my vote. I'd check the oil/coolant levels too. Coolant in oil (or vice versa) would indicate the bearing went and took the seal with it.
Having issues posting from this playbook thing, bear with me. I've been using motul 800 premix, rotella t gear oil, haven't noticed oil in coolant or vv when oil changed after RR. Will have time to properly diagnose and fix after long wknd. Drop by if you're at porkies and want to listen in person.
# 87

stretch
Writer
Writer

Post by stretch »

Just an update. Complete teardown and yes it was a bad bearing. Looks like a bad bearing from factory and not something else that caused the bearing to fail as everything else in there is a-ok <sigh of relief>.
# 87

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Glad you got it fixed up! And thanks for following up. :thumbsup: