Torque Wrench

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Torque Wrench

Post by MtnBlue »

I need one. Any suggestions? What type? Range? Where to get it? How much?

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'd buy snap on or Mac I know a lot of money but it's calibrated and also you know it's right. If your going to buy a princess auto one you might as well just do the hand click method hold the wrench thill you think it's tight and the a little more for good. I know most people are thinking of wanting to message me back with prices but when it comes to small torque IE in/lbs,,,, I'd rather buy the $300.00 wrench then the 500 cranckcase all because of inproper torqued bolts That's just my opinion.

Rob

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I've heard about the accuracy thing before and I'm sure it's true. For my purposes on the dirt bikes, I use the Princess Auto variety because I figure that it's more accurate than my hand. But you have to use them with common sense or you will break off or strip a bolt.

I find the KTM with the lighter fasteners are a little more tricky than than the steel bolts that the Yamaha had.

I have a 20-200 in/lb (1/4" drive) and 20-150 ft/lb (3/8" drive).

I know that if I set the wrench to 50 in/lb that it is lighter than when I set it to 96 in/lbs. Good for tightening fork pinch bolts and stuff.

I don't think that you will get away with only torque wrench to do it all.

:cheers:

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

I agree with you dirtboy you need more then one wrench, I have three differnt ones the only problem is the lower the torque the greater the precision must be for the wrench. I have all the torque wrenches including a 3/4" and also a 1" torque wrench if you ever need big bolts tightened IE 1000 ft/lbs, Also at my shop we have a hydraulic torque wrench that will goto 100,000 Ft/Lbs no joke!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

anyways hope this all helps in your buying dilema

Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I too have all the torque wrenches that Rob has but at home I use a craftsman 20-250 in/lb 3/8" drive and a 25-150 ft/lb 1/2" drive. I bring them to work a few times a year and check them out on the electronic torque meter and they are just as close as my Snap-on and Mac wrenches at work. I wouldn't however recommend them for continous shop type duty as I don't think they will hold up to the strain. For home I think they are good and like DB said "better than hand tight". Remember that if it feels too tight, it probably is.My .02-- Flame away---WR Dave. :blah: :crazy:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

WR_Dave wrote:I too have all the torque wrenches that Rob has but at home I use a craftsman 20-250 in/lb 3/8" drive and a 25-150 ft/lb 1/2" drive. I bring them to work a few times a year and check them out on the electronic torque meter and they are just as close as my Snap-on and Mac wrenches at work. I wouldn't however recommend them for continous shop type duty as I don't think they will hold up to the strain. For home I think they are good and like DB said "better than hand tight". Remember that if it feels too tight, it probably is.My .02-- Flame away---WR Dave. :blah: :crazy:
Mark another one down for Craftsman.

For garage work its accurate enough for me.

If you don't own a KTM you wont have to worry half as much. KTM's are made to to strip. (haha, kidding, just poking at the orange guys again, but I have read that KTM"s are very prone to stripping a lot of different bolts on the bike (KTMtalk).
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

I have 5 torque wrenches ranging from 700ft lb to 5 in lb.
And 2 of them Snap on. We have a calibration testing tool at work also, and of all, the most accurate was a "Deflection Bar" style, which was also my 5 - 200 in lb. The cheapest wrench of them all! The snap on where actually the worst. I ended up selling my Snap on 3/8 drive 100 ftlb wrench as it was over 30 lb out!
My favourite is a Electronic 100 ftlb Snap on (cause I won it in a raffle) and it is sweet for low torques.
Anyway, I think WR Dave would agree with me, the deflection bar design will be the cheapest, most reliable and accurate for home, garage use. Go Craftsman!
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

You got it Buggo, You just can't beat "old school" . WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

I use a 3/8" and 1/2" Craftsman deflection type on the bikes and the boat. Never had a problem and for less than 70 bucks for the two they come with the Craftsman moneyback guarrantee!
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim