Jetting 06 WR450

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Thanks for the advice on the JD kit, I've heard lots about it on Thumpertalk. There'll be fire in the hole this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes and what I used that came with the bike (needle valve) and a slight pilot jet mod. I've also changed a lot with how the stock bike breathes, exhausts, vents and is timed so we shall see what we shall see.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

thirtyseven wrote:i know our bikes are diferent, except colour. my point is, if it helps ME get it right, then anyone can do it!!!!
:thumbsup:

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Update on the WR450 Jetting/Mods

Post by Hammer »

The bike fired up immediately and ran great in my garage at ambient temp. Although, I haven't been able to get out because of the ice and snow you can tell just by the sound and intensity of the engine the bike has lit up. I am sure that replacing the throttle stop allowing the main jet to kick in is a lot of the reason. Also the timing change via grey wire mod has definitely made a difference from zero to half or 3/4 throttle responsiveness. I won't know how good it is until I get out on the trails.....temped to drive south west until there isn't any more snow to get a decent ride. :banana:

I am including most of what I did below. Remember guys and gals, I am not an expert (but talked to a few) so don't go by my methods. We'll see you out on the trails :cheers:

Performance Mod's
-cut grey wire, sleaved and plugged hole in connector with silicone
-removed AIS and plugged exhaust and vacuum inlet.
-Plugged two holes in airbox left after re-routing valve vent and removal of AIS
-reversed the ACV diaphram...hint from a friend.
-removed plug in the exhaust

Carb Mods
-installed pilot jet #42 (5% reduction from stock #45) (if I don't succed here I'll order the JD kit)
-installed ajustable needle supplied with manual, position #3
-main jet #165 remains stock for now
-leak jet #50 stock
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Great.. now I'll have an even harder time keeping up with you on the track. lol..

Nice work! The RM needs a little tweaking for the next time I hit the trails as well.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

I didn't physically cut the grey wire off. I reached in with a small slotted screw driver and released the clip in the wiring harness and then backed out the wire with the clip in-tact. The silicone makes a great hole plug and is easy to extract in the future. This method allows me to put in the switch or reconnect in the future. Thank Dirtyboy for his thoughts on how to best do this mod.
Hammer

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

New Power

Post by Hammer »

Hey Shibby,
We'll see if I have what it takes to handle all this new found power before I can get by you on the track! I'm dying of lack of riding right now....maybe a set of studs is in order, especially if this weather holds.
Hammer

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Thanks for the props Hammer. It's nice to know when you can help someone out. :cheers:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Re: New Power

Post by Shibby! »

Hammer wrote:Hey Shibby,
We'll see if I have what it takes to handle all this new found power before I can get by you on the track! I'm dying of lack of riding right now....maybe a set of studs is in order, especially if this weather holds.
Ha ha!

Yea, It'll be a couple more weeks for me yet as I was hoping this weekend after the one coming up would pull through but then I found out I have to go home that weekend.

So that would be 3 weeks at the earliest... I can't wait till we can do weekday night rides..
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

grey wire - 06 Wr450

Post by markvfr »

Ok, this grey wire issue has been interesting. After reading all the stuff on the free mods on TT, I was ready to do the grey wire mod but before I did I went to Walt Healy where I bought the bike and while I was picking up some stuff I talked to two mechanics on the mod issue. After talking about jetting and, airbox, pipe restictor etc, he finally mentioned without me even asking: "Oh yeah, and don't cut the grey wire". He said the grey wire which retards the ignition in the midrange, is ONLY on the US bikes not Canadian. So, I didn't. Anyone else have any insight into this? :excuse: :confused: The guy was really knowledgable, so I kind of trust him.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: grey wire - 06 Wr450

Post by dirtyboy »

markvfr wrote:He said the grey wire which retards the ignition in the midrange, is ONLY on the US bikes not Canadian.
It certainly used to be like that. In 2005 they started delivering the bikes very like the US spec in Canada. The bikes didn't used to have EPA parts but in 2005 they started to have the USA muffler, USA jetting, USA smog (air pump) and the USA throttle stop so I assumed that they also came with the USA spec CDI unit.

I disconnected my grey wire on my 2005 WR. I'm not sure if it did anything. :excuse:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I did it on my '02 WR and I've done it on every year of WR450 since then and I just did it on two '06 WR's. The Grey wire is there. Just cause they work at bike shops doesn't make them experts anymore than having a drivers license makes anyone a great driver. WR Dave. :banghead: :banghead:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Thanks dirtyboy. I'll have to check if it made a difference on your WR since my buddy picked it up from the dealer couple of weeks ago... :) I just told him about the site and he found your ad in the classifieds...

I'll also ride with the wire at first and then will disconnect it and see if it made a difference.

Cheers,

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

Based on all the discussions and that this bike is shipped with USA spec I can't see why there would be any difference between the 05 and 06 motors and/or CDI. But who knows....what I do know is it runs great now :applause:

When I did all the mods including grey wire I considered putting a switch inline but didn't have a waterproof unit in the toolbox. I didn't cut the wire, just removed it from the wiring harness, put a shrink wrap on it and plugged the female with a bit of silicone. So, if I find the right switch I might undo and redo the connection as a test.

The throttle stop, airbox and jetting no doubt have made a big difference, however, the way this thing is singing now, not just fuel, has to have something to do with the timing.

Markvfr, I'd be temped to experiment with it on then off and let us 06 riders know what you found out. :cheers:

By the way, congrats on the new ride....you're going to luv it :banana:
Hammer

markvfr
Columnist
Columnist

Post by markvfr »

Thanks Hammer, my baby is sitting in my living room right now... :D but I would rather be outside riding. As to the grey wire, yeah thats what I was planning to do and see if there is a difference. Seems like a lot of people do all the mods at once and no mod can be singled out for the biggest difference. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
:cheers:

WRocks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by WRocks »

I bought an 06 WR450 a couple months ago. I noiced on the accessories section of the yamaha.com website you can get an Air Induction System (AIS) removal kit (see web link below). These are availible in Canada and was about $50, so I picked one up (probably the best fity I'll ever spend on the bike). It came with all the plugs to remove the AIS, a short throttle stop screw, needle and pilot jet. Probably best of all it came with a tuning tips sheet, which basically covered all of the items in this post and to clarify cutting the grey wire was noted, so I cut mine. Note, the exhaust port on the cylinder head gets hot, so is not recommended that a anything that can melt be used to plug it. The kit comes with an aluminum cap with a heat resistant gasket.

It's only a guess, but I'd say that the stock 06WR450 puts out probably less than 50% of it's HP because of all the sludge that's done to de-tune it (ie exhaust restricor, throttle stop screw, airbox restrictor etc.) I wonder how many people buy one of these bikes and never realize the full potential they have.

Now if I could only get out with mine to see how well it rocks now........going to the St Anthony sand dunes in Late April and need to get some hours on it.

Also of note I bought a GYTR aluminum skid plate (see web link below). I was quite suprised, as it was only ~$125 and was much cheaper than a 3rd party skid plate. It's actually very good (3/16" thick aluminum) and provides much better protection gets rid of that crappy plastic plate they put in front of the oil lines. But then again, who needs to protect those anyway, because with all the power gain from the mods, you'll be doing wheelies over all trail obstacles.

AIS removal kit: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... etail.aspx
Skid plate: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... etail.aspx
Plus all kinds of other goodies as well.......
RMDRA lifetime member
2013 350 XCF
2015 450 SXF with Timbersled MHLT