1996 KTM EXC 360 Rebuild

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
RTS

1996 KTM EXC 360 Rebuild

Post by RTS »

Hello All,
As the title says, I have a 1996 EXC 360. I have owned it since 98 and in that time it has had a complete tear down and rebuild once and has had a couple of top ends. I think I want to keep it, as it is becoming a classic big bore 2 stroke, but I am looking for advise on what would be an estimate for the cost to do a complete front to back tear down and rebuild. I have an idea from the last time it was done about 6 or 7 years ago, but I am sure there is someone out there that could clue me in to the actual cost, and whether it is worth it or not. If I decide to get rid of it, what would be a reasonable price for it? Thanks for your help.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: 1996 KTM EXC 360 Rebuild

Post by cedric »

I think it really depends on how picky you want to be. What are your objectives? To make it run like new, to look like new, or both? Also depends on what kind of shape it's in right now, really hard to give you an idea on price without seeing some photos and knowing a bit more about it.

Tell us a bit more and we will be able to help you a lot better, although it will still be pretty hard to give an accurate number... Sorry, I know that's not a lot of help, but maybe we can get you closer.

RTS

Post by RTS »

I am not really picky. I want it to run like new, but looking like new is not so important. I would say the bike is in "good" condition for the year. I will post pictures shortly so you can see what I would be dealing with. I currently ride a 2008 YZ450, and I also have a 1999 CR250 that I would like to either sell of tear down as well. I think if I could sell the two older bikes to get into a newer orange 300 that might be the way to go? As you can probably tell I am pretty undecided with what to do. All I want is a good reliable two stroke in the end for the trails. That way I won't have to beat the tar out of my track bike. Either way I will post some pics to let you have a look.

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

if you are good at twisting wrenches and have decent bike mechanic knowledge than you could rebuild it on a budget especially when it doesn't matter if it looks pretty. Hard pressed to ever have that new feeling again when you are currently riding a fairly modern 4-stroke. Maybe doing something wild to it an see if there is a big bore kit for it to really give you that wow factor.
CR250R