PHDS Handlebar clamps

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

PHDS Handlebar clamps

Post by dirtyboy »

I picked up some the PHDS Handlebar clamps. If they are listed in the KTM Hardparts catalog then they must be good right?

PHDS= Progressive Handlebar Damping System.

Many people use the Faast handlebars with the dampers but this works in the down direction like the Faast bars but also in the forward and rear direction. So it works in 3 directions instead of 1 and doesn't carry the weight penalty that the Faast bars do.

I did some reading and found that most people liked them but that if you use the Scotts Submount that either the height spacers that come with the PHDS are required or that some work to clearance the bar clamp to clear the stabilizer is required.

Install Report:

I tried to fit them on and they wouldn't fit with my Scotts stabilizer. So since I won't ride without the stabilizer (safety equipment in my mind) I "clearanced" the bar clamps so that the Scotts stabilizer would clear it. I used a regular stone wheel on my grinder after putting some kindergarten style marks on the bar clamps with a pencil. It went together very easy. I used a torque wrench but the torque values are set in NM and my wrench is in ft/lbs so it may be off just a tad.

The bars are exactly the same height and position as I had setup with the stock bar clamps.

Ride Report:

The first thing I noticed when I started riding was that the footpegs buzzed my feet. Didn't really notice that before! :crazy: Started to analyze the feelings and changes and over a 60km ride I really noticed that there was very little feeling coming from the bars. Mainly I just noticed my feet feeling the vibrations but my hands got really nothing. There was no flex feeling at all in the bars. It was as if the bars were solidly mounted but had no vibration. After a couple of hours I think I noticed that there was a very slight vibration in the bars but then I had to really think about it to notice it. I did notice that I felt very fresh at the end of the ride (less tired) than I had the previous weekend.

I think these handlebar clamps work! I have been fighting with numbness in my clutch hand for a few years now and I'm really impressed by the lack of vibration that these provide. I think that this will be another "must have" part on my bike for the future.

cycleworks - do you stock these or are they special order items?

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: PHDS Handlebar clamps

Post by cycleworks »

Special order, but availability is good :thumbsup:
3-5 days, tops!
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

DB-Which elastomer do you have installed?

350scott
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by 350scott »

I've also got the PHDS mounts and can second DB's comments. They work very well. I couldn't ride more than 10 minutes at pace before my hands started to go numb. With the PHDS I get at least a 1/2 hour before I feel numbness. And as DB said, the bars are still rigidly mounted, you just feel substantially less engine vibration.

I have also used the Flexx bars and for vibrations, they are far inferior to the PHDS mounts. What the Flexx bars are good do is smooth out trail hack, basically like a little extra suspension.
Scott
Apprentice Court Jester
2017 450XC-F
2015 450XC-F
2013 450XC-F

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cycleworks »

Any input on mounting with a stabalizer? Im reading that it might be an issue with Scotts... (the stabalizer, not the person)
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I am using the standard elastomer (yellow) but I have the soft green ones to test in the fufure.

I mentioned the mounting with the Scotts stabilizer above. Just a little grinding to make clearance.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

DB, the KTM brand looks the same as the units made by xtrig, mabe just rebranded as KTM hardpart. How was the fit between the base of the PHDS mount and the rail on the top face of triple clamp?
#Z3B

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Read the KTM description it says it is made for the XC clamps. I think the Xtrig say they are made for cast clamps.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

dirtyboy wrote:Read the KTM description it says it is made for the XC clamps. I think the Xtrig say they are made for cast clamps.
The site I order them from says "Fits ALL stock KTM & Husaberg triple clamps with bolt-on handlebar mounts (2000-2012)" . I called the seller when I notice the fitment issue and was told they will work fine, sold alot of the mounts and no issues reported on the XC clamps :confused: . If you decide to get a PHDS and have the machined camps with a 20mm rail, looks like the KTM hardparts is the way to go, otherwise the xtrig branded set will work with the 22mm rails. If anyone with KTM cast triple clamps is thinking of buying a PHDS shoot me a PM, maybe we can do a swap. Otherwise, I plan to try and get the ones I have machined.

Just putting some info out there so people are aware of the differences between the cast and machined clamps when buying a PHDS. I know I learned somthin :blush:

BTW, I also notice less fatigue and hand numbness like DB and 350scott mention.
#Z3B

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think if you are concerned about the rail width you should ask questions before purchasing since there seems to be multiple triple clamps out there.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Here is what KTM says about them:

Progressive handlebar clamping supported by elastomers. Absorbs engine and chassis vibrations. Dampens hard, whipping impact. Maintains steering precision. Adjustable handlebar position due to the modular design. Handlebar dampening in the directions of the arrows. Tuned by exchangeable elastomers individually adjustable.

*Please Note: (Check the conditions below before ordering! This part MAY NOT FIT your Bike!)

**PHDS can not be mounted when steering damper (77012005000, 58512050000 or 58512050100) is already used.
Should only be mounted with SXS or SX CNC machined tripleclamps
Not usable with forged tripleclamps

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

dirtyboy wrote: I used a torque wrench but the torque values are set in NM and my wrench is in ft/lbs so it may be off just a tad.
A decent torque wrench should have the NM ratings on it , either beside the Lbs/ft rating or around the back of the torque wrench tube. Give it a second look or download the convert.exe tool for all kinds of conversion help.

WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

My torque wrench has ft/lbs and M / kg

I know it isn't an expensive one. Does M Kg have anything to do with Newton's meters?

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

dirtyboy wrote:My torque wrench has ft/lbs and M / kg

I know it isn't an expensive one. Does M Kg have anything to do with Newton's meters?
no,
1 Mkg = 9.8067 Nm or = 7.233 ft/lbs

I find it easiest to convert nm to in/lb
1 Nm = 8.8507 in/lb
or
1 Nm = .7376 ft/lb
The voices are back. Awesome!

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

dirtyboy wrote:
Install Report:[/b]

I tried to fit them on and they wouldn't fit with my Scotts stabilizer. So since I won't ride without the stabilizer (safety equipment in my mind) I "clearanced" the bar clamps so that the Scotts stabilizer would clear it. I used a regular stone wheel on my grinder after putting some kindergarten style marks on the bar clamps with a pencil. It went together very easy. I used a torque wrench but the torque values are set in NM and my wrench is in ft/lbs so it may be off just a tad.

The bars are exactly the same height and position as I had setup with the stock bar clamps.
When you 'clearanced' the bar clamp for fitment, was this becasue the large part (the bottom part) of the clamp hit the stabilizer? IE How much bark did you have to remove from it in order for the scotts to not hit? If this is what you did, you are obviously not worried about the part fatiguing and failing in any way due to the forces exerted on the clamps and bars through riding?