Tire Irons.. Which are the best?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Tire Irons.. Which are the best?

Post by Shibby! »

Well as you guys probably know, changing tires can lead to stress, anger, and bloody knuckles. If your real lucky, you may even get an injury.

The last tire I changed I borrowed some irons from my buddy. They were the worst irons in the world. Hurt your hands, put marks on the rim, and bent.

I am curious if you guys have any irons that you praise and find work well? I am going to buy 3 or so here as I see my super soft Dunlop is already starting to wear a lot. Once I hit Mclean it will probably chunk off as I have seen on my buddies bikes.

Lemme know!

Quinn
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I know what you mean. I have a Motion Pro that bends everytime I use it. It's in the fanny pack now, and hopefully I don't have to use it.

:cheers:

Zorac
User
User

Post by Zorac »

i have a big long silver one (16"?) with a differnt end on each end, and two short orange handled ones (10"?) havent had any problems witht hem, and have yarded on them pretty good.... they were cheap and are doing the job! :D

there arent brand names on them, but im guessing if you grab the catalog from the stores youll find them pretty quick... was like $40ish for the two orange handled ones, and about $17 for the big silver one...

got the big one from bow cycle, and the small ones from bowridge in chocrane
miniunit.com - Canadian fiddy and minibike enthusiasts.

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

I bought mine from Princess Auto, dirt cheap and tough, never bent after probably 20 tire changes. But they do scratch the rims badly. Haven't figured out that part yet. :excuse:
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

yea, I use those cheap ones that my buddy had (~20/each) and they were harsh on the wheels.

Guys from KTMtalk recommend these ones, I was thinking about buying 2 - red handled and one silver.

Look fancy and should stcratch the wheels.

http://ziptyracing.com/display/eCommerc ... 125&order=

I was just hoping there was something like this local.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Here is Motovan catalogue, they have the good orange handled ones. Can be ordered from any local shop. Just avoid the little $8 one that I mentioned as it wasn't very strong.

I like the 08-112 shaped ones that are stocked in all shops. I use 2 of those a shorter one at home. You have to have 3 irons if you change tires a lot.

Also, the motion pro spoke wrench on the page is awesome. It's hard to find a wrench for the KTM but this one fits perfect and covers 4 sides of the spoke instead of just 2. No rounded spokes. :thumbsup:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Ahhh.

That 08-112 is the one that put all the marks on my 125's rim! They do have good curves but they weren't designed to be rim friendly. Also when you put your weight into them they do bend. My buddy bent it first, and I had to deal with the softer metal so maybe i thought it was worse then it is.

Can anybody get these from RMDR? Rather support ppl on here then the shops if possible. I think I still might try the red handled one and maybe two 08-112 to hold the tire.

While we're on the tire changing topic, I read a good tip on KTMtalk: Use clamps to keep the tire down in the lowest spot to help the flip the bead on the other side. Never thought of that last time I did a tire, I just struggled through it.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Shibby!

I don't think a new tire iron will keep the scratchs off your rims. A new technique might though. My rims get scratched too, from riding and changing. I'll also go out on a limb and say that the technique is also why the tire iron bent.

As Dick Burleson (from Dirt Rider) says, "You have to be smarter than the tire, not stronger." I had to read his article before changing tires for about 5 years before I could do it myself. Any I change lot's of tires every year.

Not sure if this helps. I have also heard that there might be a thing that goes over the rim to prevent scratches.

I'd like to get some tips from the ISDE riders. They change the tire in only a few minutes. :D

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

Two of those Terry Cable tire irons are defiantly worth the money, the shape makes pinching tubes hard. I hate changing a tire with anything else. Those are the two main irons I use even when changing ice racing tires, which if you have put on a set you know how hard they are.
KTM 250 xcfw #53

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

BigD wrote:Two of those Terry Cable tire irons are defiantly worth the money, the shape makes pinching tubes hard. I hate changing a tire with anything else. Those are the two main irons I use even when changing ice racing tires, which if you have put on a set you know how hard they are.
Just started using the Terry cable irons. I like them a lot. Lot less chance of pinching the tube. They sell them at Walt's :banana:

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

I bought the Michelin curved type and really like them. After I cleaned off a few sharp edges to limit the scratching!
I also built my own by "forging" some good hardened steel rod into what I wanted, a similar shape of the Terry cables. Then put shrink tube handles on them.
It may all be phycological,(free!) but they work the best for me!
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

Zorac
User
User

Post by Zorac »

i have a set of the terry cable ones, and a 08-111, works well together...

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I just used 2 08-112 and one that looks like 08-111 for the dirt shark and trelleborg tires. No issues.

I'm also getting in the habit of using one of those little bead holder tools that hook on the spokes. It keeps the bead pointed into the middle of the rim. It's also good for keeping the tire under the rim when working your way around.

fife
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fife »

I as well just swaped some dirt sharks for studs,no issues. I use the terry cable and two 08-112's. I find that every time is a little easier, no blood this time and a new time record!

Zorac
User
User

Post by Zorac »

fife wrote:I as well just swaped some dirt sharks for studs,no issues. I use the terry cable and two 08-112's. I find that every time is a little easier, no blood this time and a new time record!
lol, i get quicker and quicker everytime too, but have yet to get to the point where there is no blood involved... :P