Tire Irons.. Which are the best?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

I managed to slap a very cold Kenda Carlsbad on in under 20 minutes with only 2 of the terry cable type irons :attention:

I can count 3 seperate incidents of blood though. Does anybody know where to get one of those tube snake things that save you having to fish the valve stem from inside the tire?

fife
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fife »

Its easy without one if you get the opposite side of the rim inside the sidewalls of the tire. Then you've got a big open space to get the valve stem into the hole and get the nut on. then seet one side of the tire before stuffing the tube all the way around on the other side.I always do the sprocket side first since it seems to be the one that draws the most blood. i know it makes no sense without a visual so I dont know why Im still typing, but thats how it works best for me. Although I think 20 minutes is not bad. I could deal with a little blood if every tire change was a 20 minute affair. think of the knarly scars!chicks love that ...right?

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

My fat hands won't fit inside the tire when it is off the rim.

I found this link on KTM talk and have contacted the sender about shipping one up here. I hope it works!
http://www.arizonatrailtalk.com/zstan.htm

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

tire

Post by thumper-darryl »

Put tube into tire, position tire to poke valve stem through hole in rim, partially install nut, lever on 1st bead, then 2nd bead, inflate, drink beer, done.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: tire

Post by Dobi »

thumper-darryl wrote:Put tube into tire, position tire to poke valve stem through hole in rim, partially install nut, lever on 1st bead, then 2nd bead, inflate, drink beer, done.
That is my problem. I don't drink beer. Another hobby that I can see costing me a bunch of money :excuse:

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

You guys mean that it IS possible to do tires "without beer". I thought it was just an urban legend! WR Dave. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

fife
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fife »

thumper-darryl wrote:Put tube into tire, position tire to poke valve stem through hole in rim, partially install nut, lever on 1st bead, then 2nd bead, inflate, drink beer, done.
exactly, well said

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

You can skip the beer step, but not the other steps. :thumbsup:

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

Dobi wrote:I managed to slap a very cold Kenda Carlsbad on in under 20 minutes with only 2 of the terry cable type irons :attention:

I can count 3 seperate incidents of blood though. Does anybody know where to get one of those tube snake things that save you having to fish the valve stem from inside the tire?

You can use fishing line held in place by the valve body lightly screwed into the valve stem. Same idea as the fancy thing being sold. Don't pull hard!
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!