More Honda Questions on my 2005 CRF230

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Richters Riders
User
User

More Honda Questions on my 2005 CRF230

Post by Richters Riders »

Ok folks, I have more questions that perhaps you can help me with. Instead of spending "OH MY GOD" :crybaby: for a CRF 250, what could I do to up the performance on my 2005 CRF230? I started to think about it, and realized I don't want oddles more power as I'm pretty happy with it now, but about 3 to 5 more horse would put me right where I want. I find the bike a little slow off the line and would like to change that. I don't really use the bigger gears as I don't have a death wish to fly through the mountain passes at 60 MPH. 47 years old and a fear of big pain will do that to you :D . Now any suggestions that you give me, please bear in mind that I want to stay within club noise limits and such. Looking forward to your help folks. :canada:
CRF-250X Son
2006 500 EFI Polaris ATV Dad
1984 Goldwing 1100 Dad

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

Adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket would do alot for the low end, other than that get the jetting right and I believe an FMF Q would help unleash more boost while keeping the db's down. I'm not a Honda guy so I'm not sure what else that bike needs. You could go to www.thumpertalk.com and check in the Honda section for more info. WR Dave. :confused:
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Yup, if you want more grunt downlow put on a tooth or two on the rear. (like switching a pedel bike up in the rear).

It basically changes the RPM of the engine to the speed you are going. In this case higher RPM at a slower speed. With the power curve of your engine (higher RPM = more power) you will be increase the power available down low and off the line but topping out the RPM (shifting more gears) at higher speeds.

One tooth can make a big difference, especially to the front. A general guideline is +/- 1 to the front sproket is ~ = 2 +/- on the rear.

Good luck and keep riding!
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

chucker
Journalist
Journalist

Post by chucker »

My wife has a 2003 CRF230, great bike for her and a neat playbike for me. We have added a BBR revbox (allows the egine to rev higher) and a full BBR exhaust along with rejetting the carb. This allows the engine to breathe much better. It sounds like an XR650 coming at you, funny to see this chick on a little honda rippin through the woods. The only complaint I have with these bikes is the rear drum, if it had a disc it would be soo much better...

Also look into the Sidewinder chain conversion, it uses a lighter duty o-ring chain that would reduce drag and free up a few more ponies. I think BBR also makes a big bore kit for these bikes as well.
Speed kills. Live forever. Ride a Yamaha.

2007 KTM 450 exc
2003 V-Strom 1000
1977 Yamaha XT 500
1973 Honda Z50

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

I think a CRF250X would be perfect for you. :cheers: