Fork cap removal tool

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Fork cap removal tool

Post by axel99 »

Anyone have a fork cap removal tool for rent or loan for a day that will fit the KTM WP closed cartridge forks?
#Z3B

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Fork cap removal tool

Post by malcolmzilla »

I have a grinder wrench that fits the open cartridge caps if it's the same size, no bling but works.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I went real low tech, a peice of wood with 2 nails driven through it. The caps aren't that tight.
The voices are back. Awesome!

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

You guys are sooooo ghetto... awesome. I have a tool on order, just getting anxious to try out the new springs. Looks like changing the springs in CC forks is a little more involved than the OC forks :thumbsdown: I guess I will find out soon!

Thanks for the ideas.
Attachments
27818_u6909807.jpg
27818_u6909807.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 727 times
#Z3B

Zook
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Zook »

Cool tool. :thumbsup:
Brendan Nagle
04 DRZ400e
Me and tools have an understanding: If I don't use them, they don't break my stuff.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

axel99 wrote:You guys are sooooo ghetto... awesome. I have a tool on order, just getting anxious to try out the new springs. Looks like changing the springs in CC forks is a little more involved than the OC forks :thumbsdown: I guess I will find out soon!

Thanks for the ideas.
You don't need that tool to change fork springs on the CC forks. That tool will open the cartridge that is filled with nitrogen and oil (the valving).

Remove the top of the fork with the big nut on the top, drain oil, then remove the bottom nut and the cartridge and spring will come out. :thumbsup:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

dirtyboy wrote:
axel99 wrote:You guys are sooooo ghetto... awesome. I have a tool on order, just getting anxious to try out the new springs. Looks like changing the springs in CC forks is a little more involved than the OC forks :thumbsdown: I guess I will find out soon!

Thanks for the ideas.
You don't need that tool to change fork springs on the CC forks. That tool will open the cartridge that is filled with nitrogen and oil (the valving).

Remove the top of the fork with the big nut on the top, drain oil, then remove the bottom nut and the cartridge and spring will come out. :thumbsup:
So this is the specialty $30 tool I need to get those caps off. I got some ideas from cheap-o I mean steve-o :smirk: on a alternate large plumbing wrench that may work. Worse case I will fab one from aluminum sheet stock. Like Brass mention they should not be very tight anyway.

Thanks DB for saving me from unnecessarily expelling gases, oil and some really choice words :cheers:
Attachments
08-0428.jpg
#Z3B

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Yes that's what you could use. A huge crescent wrench will work too. :lol:

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Got the new springs in the forks. Process for removal of the inner cartridge just like DB said and is pretty much the same as the showa forks that were on my honda. :blush: Thanks steve-o for the tip on the large 50mm open end plumbing wrench, it got the caps off without any damage.

The new stronger springs make a more noise when the forks are cycled through the stroke. Is that normal?

Now to get those clickers setup. :thumbsup:
#Z3B

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Some springs make noise. I think they will center accurately once you ride them.

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

axel99 wrote: The new stronger springs make a more noise when the forks are cycled through the stroke. Is that normal?
My last ones did this too and as dirtyman said they quieted up.