Stator Winding?? Anybody attempt this?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

cedric wrote:No worries, glad I could help. The battery idea might take some ingenuity, but it would make sense to dump the excess power somewhere when you have the engine running and don't have the lights on.
Yup!! Especially with a system like this where more power is generated at higher RPM's and less at lowers. Usually the bike is made to run fairly stable at lower RPM's, but the excess at higher RPM's is often bled off as heat like you said.

What I want to do is harness that lost energy and put it into a battery for a time when I do want to turn on the lights. Chances are I won't be riding at night, but something that will burn long enough to get me back to the trucks when I get caught at night. I have seen some small batteries that could probably fit in the air box or somewhere relatively out of the way (handle bars, or somewhere...) and use that. I wish this suzuki had a airbox like my 125!

This is all pretty much untested, but I hope to run some numbers and draw some wireing diagrams and see what I can do. I am not too familiar with the equipment, but I know the terms and idea behind electricity. One of my concerns is having something to stop charging the battery when its full, but I am sure this type of equip. is cheap and plentiful.

Wish me luck!! I am sure others with a MX bike woudl want something similar as well so if it works, I'll let you guys know.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

They also have this...

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsde ... rtnum=L-48

Which is WAY cheaper then anything else I have found, but I still have to make sure that works with my flywheel.. However, if it did, that would allow me to ride at night! My system uses two 23W bulbs and that puts out 50W i think.

Hum.. I'm leaning more towards the stator as it would save the extra strain in my factory system, and put out a lot more light! I think the other one only puts out 10w. So like you said, just basically a marker headlight, that might not even get you back to the vehicle.

What ever happened to the good old days where you put flipped a little rubbing wheel against your tire to generate power??? Lol. Ok, that was before my time, but I tried it on my parents bikes all the time!
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

Shibby! wrote:They also have this...

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsde ... rtnum=L-48

Which is WAY cheaper then anything else I have found, but I still have to make sure that works with my flywheel.. However, if it did, that would allow me to ride at night! My system uses two 23W bulbs and that puts out 50W i think.

Hum.. I'm leaning more towards the stator as it would save the extra strain in my factory system, and put out a lot more light! I think the other one only puts out 10w. So like you said, just basically a marker headlight, that might not even get you back to the vehicle.

What ever happened to the good old days where you put flipped a little rubbing wheel against your tire to generate power??? Lol. Ok, that was before my time, but I tried it on my parents bikes all the time!
I'm probably dating myself here, but I grew up riding a Raleigh with a wheel driven generator. Worked great!
Only trouble was, as a kid out past the curfew hour trying to get home undetected you had to get off the bike, pick up the front wheel and walk the last bit ... key word - tried :bonk: