Whacked Steering - what's the cause?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
RoachToast
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Whacked Steering - what's the cause?

Post by RoachToast »

Been riding for 30 years...should know this...gonna ask anyway...

Have a 2001 KTM 300 MXC. Due to some spills, my steering is way out of whack. I'm trying to determine what all can be possibly out of alignment and adjusted. Yes, my handler bars are bent but that is only part of the problem. So, apart from the bent bars, what else could it be?

-Could the triple clamps be out of alignment? IE: not lined up vertically?
-I've loosened and re-aligned the bar mounts. One had shifted slightly and was lower than the other.

Anything else? Thanks in advance.

Now I'm off to get ready to ride my bike with whacked steering down in Green River/Moab for a couple days.

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Whacked Steering - what's the cause?

Post by cedric »

I'd try loosening up all the front end bolts and giving the bars a shake and see where you stand after that. Loosen all the triple tree bolts, the axle nut and axle clamping bolts. And then tighten them of course before you ride it again! Bent bars can feel really wonky when riding too. Maybe check your steering head and wheel bearings and ensure that all is well in there too.

If that doesn't get it straight, look for bent fork tubes, triple clamps or even the frame? I'd be surprised if you bent any of that though.

diabolus42
Contributor
Contributor

Post by diabolus42 »

cedric wrote:I'd try loosening up all the front end bolts and giving the bars a shake and see where you stand after that. Loosen all the triple tree bolts, the axle nut and axle clamping bolts. And then tighten them of course before you ride it again! Bent bars can feel really wonky when riding too. Maybe check your steering head and wheel bearings and ensure that all is well in there too.

If that doesn't get it straight, look for bent fork tubes, triple clamps or even the frame? I'd be surprised if you bent any of that though.

In other words, look in your wallet for some cash cuz' you're going to need some..... :hyper:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I would take it all apart, inspect and re-assemble. Forks, front wheel, axle, handlebars, steering stem. Grease it up good and re-assemble. This will identify any bent parts, or if there are no bent parts, it will line everything up and you'll be tracking straight again.