Christini AWD 530 EXC build

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Christini AWD 530 EXC build

Post by axel99 »

I plan to yank the t-stat out of my 450exc, I will leave the housing in place for now. It may take a little longer to warm up but my DS will boil over sitting in traffic. Not woried about it ever running cold. Alot of people run fans to get extra cooling. Any one know the temp rating on the T-stat?
#Z3B

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

axel99 wrote:I plan to yank the t-stat out of my 450exc, I will leave the housing in place for now. It may take a little longer to warm up but my DS will boil over sitting in traffic. Not woried about it ever running cold. Alot of people run fans to get extra cooling. Any one know the temp rating on the T-stat?

Think of it this way.

Temperature affects combustion which plays in how well your jetting matches the temperature of combustion.

A cold coolant temperature doesn't mean certain parts of the engine aren't hot. You run the risk of increase temperature differances within the engine.

IMO, they are there for a reason and I'd always leave one in.

Most bike's I've owned and rode open around 78 celcius. On a cool day your bike will dip below 78 quite easily without the t-stat.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Tstat will remain for now, just not too sure about the plastic housing.

Rads are in and plumbed. YAY. Was a tight tight fit, used soapy water and tire spoon to get the hose back in, and had to use longer bolts for the rads mounts and fight a bit to get them started, but the new Y hose, when compressed by the rads, clears the driveshaft by a couple mm. :crazy:

Short on time, from there fit the tank to see if my wiring and hose routing work. Christini tank uses stock mounts and petcock, with a larger o-ring and 8mm hardware. Its 3.2 gallons and the stock is 2.6(?) so that's a nice bonus, it does seem marginally wider, comes with a cap and there is enough room from the petcock to the carb now to fit a fuel filter. :thumbsup:
may4.JPG
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Spent a bit of time routing wiring with the tank in place, took a while as all of it is relocated, some right on the coil and directly above that you need to avoid the driveshaft splined input into the backtorque clutch pack. Got that sorted then worked on throttle cable routing, the issue is the front upper triple driveshaft tubes force the cables to move quite a bit.

Got my controls in place and some grips in. Not happy with the lack of room and setup, I was hoping to cut the bars down 1/2" each side. Will have to see about the euro switch, and I will be integrating the start and kill switches into the HDB clutch and brake dual switch perch mounts (BLING). Also complicating things it the Brembo rotator clamps face up, where as on the japs they face back, so getting at the kill it a pinch while holding the grip will suck, perhaps I can use the hi beam flash to pass as a kill/ground like my BajaDeisgns kit does. Also the AWD in/out switch doesnt like being down the fat bars so much so maybe it can go up behind the headlamp mask on the driveshaft tubes, but then no AWD on the fly...

Need to get the mask on with the PMXTEC lamp upgrade and DRL delete and figure out signals; I have HDB integrated handguard LED's and flush billet rears, but rumor has it the KTM wiring doesn't work with the LED flasher? Might just put the stockers on for break in.

Removed the stock 15t, replaced with the Christini dual drive 13 sprocket. Got the secondary chain on and adjusted (bit of a technique to it). Had to further trim the case saver, have an EE one coming hopefully the Christini will clear it. Then removed the rear wheel to balance and put the 49T Ironman on in place of the stock 45, 13/49 should work with stock chain. Running the Metzler DOTs it came with for break in, need to remount and balance the front, I have a set of Maxxis Desert IT's and Tubliss for post break in. Waiting on a BPD disc guard and a BRP chain guide too.
may5.JPG
Since the black mask isn't in yet, I'll run the stock plastic with the Champions decals and the orange billet. :D
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

Why do you want to cut the bars down? your shoulders are wider than the bars.............zilla? wider bars = less vibration and more control. :confused:
What do you like about the desert IT's? thay last a long time but are terrible on roots and wet rocks. :canada:
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

Dude wrote:Why do you want to cut the bars down? your shoulders are wider than the bars.............zilla? wider bars = less vibration and more control. :confused:
Wrong, snippin the bars off even if your a yard ape like yourself is an easy way to improve your speed through the stuff we ride.
Dude wrote:What do you like about the desert IT's? thay last a long time but are terrible on roots and wet rocks. :canada:
Yep, those things are junk. :thumbsup:

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

Yoire an animal. I've always wanted to see one of these things. Being a rookie, I don't know if you can trust my opinion. I have found the kenda trakmaster ii to be a good compromise tire.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

All the pro's run wide bars. http://www.rlafferty.com. Narrow bars is old school. :)
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Bars, I've had the KLX literally wedged between 2 trees, the sudden stop nutted me blind then I could not figure out why I wasn't on my side with the bike on top of me, well it was wedged solid. I had to kick the bark busters to get it out, once I stopped dry heaving. I'm not a single track fan, but I'll (try to) follow my buddies.

Desert IT's, well I do enjoy the occasional dual sport or pavement rip, and they held up to 4000km of Baja and only give up a bit of traction in the wet. Also NO FLATS with them, EVER, among my sets and my buddies. I am open to suggestions, but it'd have to be pretty convincing. I am trying a set of 908's on the KLX, but again, dual sporting.

A bit of progress tonight, signals, ignition, headlamp upgrade, and wiring/cable routing complete, front fender, 49T rear, recovery tank. Hooked up the trickle charger to test, no headlamp or tail and brake, but my Berg buddy says they only light when running. Signals and horn OK. Mask not sure how it will strap to the forks, straps too short for the custom AWD triples, might have to make extended brackets. Think I can fill the rads now I'm done removing them umpteen times.
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Fri May 06, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

What do you guys do for the gearbox and crankcase breathers? Gearbox I routed up over the backbone and down and out with the carb lines. Crankcase tbd, no valve cover vent? These are supposed to blow some crankcase oil out, was thinking an automotive clear filter for observation and to stop the oil from escaping and if I can get it vertical letting it drain back?
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

Bark
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Bark »

malcolmzilla wrote:What do you guys do for the gearbox and crankcase breathers? Gearbox I routed up over the backbone and down and out with the carb lines. Crankcase tbd, no valve cover vent? These are supposed to blow some crankcase oil out, was thinking an automotive clear filter for observation and to stop the oil from escaping and if I can get it vertical letting it drain back?
I have done only slow single track with three trips to Moab so take this with a grain of salt. I left all of the venting alone on my '08 530. I did keep an eye on the crankcase oil every ride and did need to add a smidge from time to time (more so in Moab where speeds are a bit higher). I always used Motul 300V in both crank side and tranny side. (On the '08 manual, KTM issued a correction to reduce the oil volume for the crankcase from 700cc to 600cc; I assume thats in the latest manuals.) If you're dual sporting you may need to do the venting mods identified on KTMTalk, dunno. There is a valve cover vent that is tied together with the gearbox vent to the carb. DJH has always maintained that the crankcase volume is under vacuum once running, the valve cover vent would cover both below and above the cyliner via the timing chain tunnel.

On the carburetor, I used JD's recommended settings and I never had a complaint, ever. Electric power whenever I wanted it.

Cheers,
Aaron

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I prefer cut bars. I cut all mine down a bit. Not to mention the bark busters add an extra inch going through the tight stuff. That's a massive change.

I have a mountain bike with super wide bars and it feels all wrong. Kids these days... :blush:

Somebody explained to me that you do a push up, measure your hand spread and it should be similar to your hand placement on the bars. Works for me! Now try doing a pushup with your hands further apart, or close together. It works well only one way...

Desert IT's aren't nearly the best for offroad trails ( I prefer Bridgestone), but they do last so I can understand your desire to run them. If you are using this mostly for trails I'd skip the IT's. They'll leave you fustrated in the wet and roots/rocks. They don't get flats because they are stiff, they also don't grip because they are stiff. The tire compound is also not good for snow and mud. Tire compound makes a HUGE difference.

Everybody has personal preferences for different things. Trying things helps eliminate things to narrow what you like.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

LID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LID »

Did you look at the Sicass Racing bar switch? It's quite a bit narrower than the stock switch for lights, blinkers, and horn, and you can turn the headlight off completely(my stock 08 switch couldn't). The word on LED signal lights is that if you run them front and back, you need to get some kind of resistor to make them work properly. I have the stocks up front and got the Sicass taillight setup and flush mount LED's at the back. Worked fine until I busted the rear off, my fault, not the equipment.

For DOT tires, I ran Dunlop D606's for a while after the Metzelers burnt off. They were a ton better off road but don't have the traction of non DOT's. Nice big knobbies though and great on rock. You may not be that worried about the best traction possible vs long wear as you have all wheel drive. I needed to use weights on the rims to balance the wheels as there was quite a head shake once you get up past 80km/hr on the road.

Don't know if you got the aftermarket pipe guard for behind the pegs, but it will save you pants from a lot of burning. I don't have it but I do have a lot of holes in my pants.

I did the exhaust de-blocking, JD Jet kit, and took off all the emissions sludge with the help of the sweet step-by-step instructions on KTMTalk.

Pretty cool build up!

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

LID wrote:The word on LED signal lights is that if you run them front and back, you need to get some kind of resistor to make them work properly.
You can get an electronic flasher that will work with LEDs and not require the resistors. :thumbsup:

ChevMack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChevMack »

malcolmzilla wrote:Bars, I've had the KLX literally wedged between 2 trees, the sudden stop nutted me blind then I could not figure out why I wasn't on my side with the bike on top of me, well it was wedged solid. I had to kick the bark busters to get it out, once I stopped dry heaving. I'm not a single track fan, but I'll (try to) follow my buddies.

out of no where that was the single funniest paragraph ive read in a long time! :) thx man.. nice build by the way.. hope i see you at a club ride with it!
2006 WR450F
+300 pound club = big kahunas