Christini AWD 530 EXC build

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: Christini AWD 530 EXC build

Post by malcolmzilla »

It's alive, kinda. Got 1/2 way around the block and it started to hail. Updates in a few days.
photo.JPG
15 Yamaha YZ250FX, 270cc, cams
15 XC250
11 Berg 570, dualsport and supermoto
17 PW50
78ish CT70
Just another Dirt Donkey...

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

1.2 hours into it around town. Oil change at 0.8 hours looked decent, some shiny small stuff. Valves quieting down. Commuting to get to the 3 hour valve check ASAP.

More oopmh that the KLX for sure. Feels lighter, nimbler. Brakes are great. 1st gear nice and low.

Not liking the hydraulic clutch, no feel, won't keep a bleed, think the shallow reservoir is sucking air with the lever where I like it.

Normal teething issues getting controls and suspension set up, get the HDB LED signals on tonight I hope. I may need longer chain, might go to a 52 rear, can do 70 mph easy now at 13/49. Front wheel has some hop, not sure if its my true job or the Metzlers, did balance it.

AWD is cool based on alley testing. No spin fast launches and hard acceleration. Rear steps out a bit, but then it goes where the front is pointed, can catch you by surprise. :smirk:
Wedged the front on some concrete steps and the rear on a timber parking it this AM, RWD just spun, AWD walked right up. Coooooool.
raceface (Medium).JPG
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

Dude
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Dude »

Nice dogs, What breed? You don't need a longer chain just flip the adjusters. :thumbsup:
1973 Hodaka Combat Wombat

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Stopped by my buddies house, Wheaton terriers. I flipped the adjusters already, the problem is that the rear tire contacts the mud guard, the 13/49 does work with the stock chain it's just a tad too close. I also see that my skidplate is collecting oil, so I'll need to check out the venting and levels. My clutch bleed nipple also seeps so that might be my clutch issue.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Valves at 2.6 hours. All getting tight except one exhaust. Set all to the wide end, as getting at the one intake was a pain. Due for gear oil change and maybe another crankcase change. Losing oil out the trans vent, maybe rig a clear filter to observe.
valves.JPG
Tried to get out in the bush this weekend, missed Kook Saturday nght departure, and then rained out Monday. So did some more setup, wired in a kill and MAP switch on the rotator clamp mount, made room for the AWD switch to come up, went with +15 EE risers as the HDB didn't fit grrr.. HDB LED signals also giving me problems. :thumbsdown:

Waiting on a case saver, disc guard and chain guide, also going to try a 51 or 52T rear, with the 13 and 14 front lots of options, 13/49 a bit tall for me, added one master link to get some room for the mudguard, larger and bigger tire to come. Should also get the Tubliss on and set sag, try for next weekend offroad somewhere.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

If you run LED's front and rear you will need to use inline resistiors or change the the signal light relay. A typical relay will detect a low current draw as a burnt out bulb and flash rapidly (that's by design), therefore you need to compensate some how. The cheapest solution is to use inline resistors that waste the extra current as heat(probably not a big deal for signal lights that are on less than 15 seconds), the best solution IMO is to upgrade the signal relay. You didn't describe the LED issue in detail so I am making lots of assumptions.

http://www.customled.com/products/flash ... _relay.htm

Sweet project!
#Z3B

giantjoe
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by giantjoe »

I've got some inline resistors that you can have if you need them.
----------------->just some guy<-----------------

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I installed an LED flasher and it runs the incandescent, and strokes +12v / 0V on the Fluke at the rear harness, but won't power or flash the LED's. Rumour has it the KTM harness and indicator bulb requires resistors to add enough draw in addtion to the flasher; I'll have to look over the wiring schematic again and see where it is in the circuit. I may also need an LED indicator for the MAP switch; I can't really tell the difference riding it. :thinking:

Frustrated with parts that were ordered from Gnarly 5+ weeks ago, that are still not here.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Picked up a Twinring 52T, slapped that on, much happier with it and the 13 for trail use, 1st now creeps nicely without being on the clutch, with the extra link it and the mudgaurd fit, and I think I'll run the 14 up front for dual sporting, a bit more work to change it out due to the 2nd sprocket welded to it for the AWD, but not too bad. I could go 14/49, but my dual sport buds 5 speed bikes dont cruise much past ~100kmph anyhow. Next up the Tubliss conversion, try it with the Maxxis and some Stans sealant. I will be interested to see how it balances.

Gnarly shipped my BPD disc guard and the BRP guide, waiting on the EE case saver, but I think it's pretty much trail ready. Ergo's pretty much where I like it, I stand a lot. Still not on reserve at 120+km on the 3.2 gallon so thats good news, althought the Christini tank is wider than my KLX with the stock 3 gallon. Pulled the endcap baffle and quite loud, also a but more pop on decel. Tried AWD in the wet alley again last night, seemed grippy. :thumbsup: The PMXTEC light upgrade works decent, no low beam however, single filament. This bike, even with the AWD, is noticeably lighter than the KLX, similarly armored. Need 2 buds over to set sag.

Now to assemble my KTM toolkit and spares box, freaking torx and that 13! And watch the forecast closely. :crybaby:

Giantjoe I might take you up on those resistors, if they're nice and compact. :cheers:

Question on the KTM chain slack; how much? On the stand, I can't quite get a finger between the lower chain glide and swingarm, the sticker shows 8-10mm.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

malcolmzilla wrote: Pulled the endcap baffle and quite loud, also a but more pop on decel.
I hope you put it back in then. :thumbsup:
malcolmzilla wrote: Question on the KTM chain slack; how much? On the stand, I can't quite get a finger between the lower chain glide and swingarm, the sticker shows 8-10mm.
Better to be loose than tight. I thought it was between the swingarm and chain and not the lower chain glide and chain. I usually aim for 5-8 mm between the swingarm and chain to allow for some mud to get in the chain and it still not be too tight. A little chain slap is better than accelerated bearing wear.

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

malcolmzilla wrote:Question on the KTM chain slack; how much? On the stand, I can't quite get a finger between the lower chain glide and swingarm, the sticker shows 8-10mm.
Depends on how big your hands are. :smirk: Your pinky will be about 10mm to 15mm.
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

So does it not mess up the front wheel drive when you change your rear wheel gearing? Is it not necessary to gear the front and rear wheels the same? I guess it's like a true 4X4, you should not be using it on hard surfaces to avoid binding?

As for the chain tension, the best answer is to remove your shock and cycle the swingarm through the travel and ensure that there is no binding at it's tightest point. The chain will get tighter and then looser as the swingarm moves up. Adjust the chain once this way, then with the bike all back together, pull up on the chain and cut a small notch in your mud flap where the chain sits and you will always have that as a reference.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

System is powered off the primary sproket, then it has a one way clutch in the hub so it only engages when the rear wheel starts slipping. I guess if you really gear it up it'll be a FWD motorcycle and your rear will be dragging. haha. I would think to finely tune it, if you changed your rear sproket you might have to make some changes to the drive system so the front drive isn't such a gap from the rear....

Is there some big text warning of you this Malcolm? Stunter sprockets not allowed.

It would be fun no doubt and there are situations where it would be very helpful.

I'd like to see this work, but I'm waiting for dryer trails I think.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

A pic as of last night, since it has yet to see a trail. :blush:
may26.JPG

Re: The front wheel v. rear wheel drive rate, no warning that I see, since Christini converts XCs I assume he's considered 13/50 and 13/52 in his front drive ratio, which he said is driven about 2/3 the rate of the rear wheel; not sure if this number is also accounting for the larger circumference of the front wheel. The 13t and 14T sprockets he sent have the same secondary tooth count on the jackshaft sprocket welded to it. I rode the 13/49 on pavement with the AWD on and didn't notice any ill effects. If I had to guess at the effect of a lower geared rear drive ratio, it would be that the rear still has to spin before the front engages, but that front drive rate will be more aggressive, relatively.
may5.JPG
The 15/45 EXCR stock ratio is ridiculously tall, unusable. Between that and the unrideable jetting I could have bought an XC-W, but the EXC is street legal factory, and has the required harness, so gearing and rejetting it seemed the more prudent and economical choice. I'd love a set of supermoto wheels for this. Hmm... I would have to buy another AWD front hub. :thinking:

Yes, the front hub has one way sprag clutches so if the rear has (enough) traction the front free wheels, and you can disengage the gearbox output via a cable actuated dog clutch. The jackshaft chains and some gearbox bearings still rotate all the time. There is also a torque limiting clutch on the gearbox output shaft, so if you put too much to the front, or roll back, it should save the components. I can't roll the bike backwards in AWD even in neutral, not sure but perhaps the spiral gear cut pattern doesn't allow it, or I just have not yarded on it hard enough.

I really should read the manual again more closely... :lol:
Last edited by malcolmzilla on Fri May 27, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70

malcolmzilla
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by malcolmzilla »

Just thinking about it a bit more, I can put it on the stand in AWD, mark an index on both rims, and rotate the rear and see if the front is still driven at a slower rate. DUH! :thumbsup:
15 XC250
17 PW50
78ish CT70