steering head bearings

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
clamacious
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

steering head bearings

Post by clamacious »

I am feeling ambitious and am thinking about greasing up my WR 250's steering bearings. Thumpertalk says that I can get at them with a punch and set the preload by feel...they say forget about the special factory tool. Anyone have any experience doing WR 250/450 bearings?

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Re: steering head bearings

Post by cedric »

I believe a basic shock adjusting spanner usually works. The notched nut doesn't require much torque, just enough to keep the bearings snug. You could probably do it with a punch, but expect to mark up the grooved nut/locking ring with the punch. Even a pair of carefully used Channel Locks could probably get it done.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Princess auto sells an adjusting c-spanner that has proven itself very valuable to me over the years. Works on everything from head bolts to rear spring adjustment rings.

It's probably like 7$. A no brainer really.

A punch or long flat screw driver will take out your lower bearing. Sometimes the upper ones is a PITA if it doesn't have a lip. Normally it's just the lower bearing that requires replacement.

You can press them in with threaded rod and big washers. I made this tool for my XRR and it works flawless and cost me like 5$.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

rock93
Writer
Writer

Post by rock93 »

If you get it in time before they start rusting it is a lot easier. It's a good idea to grease up the rear linkage as well Yamaha tend to be a little skimpy with the grease.

axel99
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by axel99 »

Take extra care to make sure all the seals are seated properly. Its really easy to pinch the lip of the seal and roll it over. If this happens you will likely be laying out the cash for new bearings,seals next year.
#Z3B