Buying a new Honda

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Richters Riders
User
User

Buying a new Honda

Post by Richters Riders »

I am giving my son my CFR230 and am looking at either a 250 or 450 Honda. Can any of you help me in my decision making. Is the 450 that much more powerful than the 250? If I get the 450 will I actually enjoy the ride or just be hanging on for dear life? Don't be shy to tell me what you think folks. :canada:

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

What will you be using it for? Track?Trail? Are we talking the 250x or 450x?

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

I ride a CRF450R in the bush. I've had the suspension re-valved, replaced the springs, and rear shock to soften up the ride. Mostly because I'm a little sh**t. I'm putting in a rekluse clutch this winter, because the gearing is not quite set up for the bush. The bike does have lots of power, but it is managable. It weighs the same as most two strokes, and handles great. I had a KTM 300EXC before this bike, which I really liked. I'm not dissapointed that I bought this bike afterwards.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

From my experience you better be able to handle the bike!

Its easy to ride any bike, its to ride it and stay on it when the going gets tough! Same thing with street bikes. You can learn on a liter, but the chances of you getting in trouble are heightened.

IMO, guaging myself being 6"4 and around 180-185 lbs, the 426's and 450's are too big for me. The way me and my buddies ride it just doesn't work. I need a bike I can easily lift on a steep hill, lift out of mudd, and easily toss around. I notice the weight difference from a 250 (2-stroke) to a 450 (4) a lot.

If you think you can handle it, its all up to you, but the best judgement is some good seat time. It also depends on what type of trails and how technical you want to get.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

darren
Writer
Writer

Post by darren »

I just read the reviews of the new 450 four strokes and it was very good to see a new contestant to the Honda, the new YZF! They had great things to say about it, mainly being: it's very tractable power, five speed, the best suspension, and many many other great things. My brother is getting a yzf 450, he's a pro, 6'3" 220pnds and is very strong and he road a 05 and said it was quite a handful. The article review also said that the pro motorcrossers only hold the throttle to the stop for a millisecond otherwise they'd be dead. I guess that's the nicest thing about the yzf, they said it was the easiest to ride. Maybe give Seitzco Motorsports a call and they can let you know about the new yzf, they are based out of Okotoks so they are local too.

Anyways, happy hunting.
2008 KTM 300 XCW

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

darren wrote:I just read the reviews of the new 450 four strokes and it was very good to see a new contestant to the Honda, the new YZF! They had great things to say about it, mainly being: it's very tractable power, five speed, the best suspension, and many many other great things. My brother is getting a yzf 450, he's a pro, 6'3" 220pnds and is very strong and he road a 05 and said it was quite a handful. The article review also said that the pro motorcrossers only hold the throttle to the stop for a millisecond otherwise they'd be dead. I guess that's the nicest thing about the yzf, they said it was the easiest to ride. Maybe give Seitzco Motorsports a call and they can let you know about the new yzf, they are based out of Okotoks so they are local too.

Anyways, happy hunting.
Strange, most reviews state the CRF is the easiest and "most tame" to ride. I think they big difference this year from the reviews I have read is that Yamaha has got away from its *** kicking power curve and made it more linear. Yamaha is known for that mid RPM jump in power that makes them harder to ride and in some people's opinion better/worse.

My biggest problem is weight. You get something moving, it gains moment, it doesn't stop (thats what I had problems with), as well, the engine moment, you let off the gas, it still pulls where as my 125 would stall/stop pulling if the same thing happened. This was the biggest thing to get used to.

I just found it a handful for stuff where your attention was already put elsewhere.

There should be other riders on here that have the big bikes that can comment. Its all personal preferance i guess.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I rode a friends CRF 450 last year and while the power is easily controllable, I found that the bike was too high strung for any tight, steep trails and it got hot quite easily. His bike was bone stock and I think some gearing and jetting would have helped alot, but that engine likes to be reved a bit and that's not always the hot ticket for single track. I've never been near a CRF 450X so I have no idea if they are much better. I also don't have much problem with cornering my 426 but thats just me. My .02--WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!