Pants? 3/4 or Full Length?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Pants? 3/4 or Full Length?

Post by Shibby! »

Since I am bored at work I thought I would send out a question..

Which do you think are better for offroading?

I use 3/4 right now and love them. The tighter fit at the top of the boot prevents water and mudd from going into the boot. They also prevent a lot of cleaning hassle as the boots are alot easier to hose off then to constantly wash the pants.

Dumb question I know, but just seeing what people prefer.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

3/4 pants? is that because you are tall like me.
I have to have a buckle at the waist, buttons or velcro do not last.
i've got over the boot pants, so the bottom's gotta be solid. my shift pants from last year had velcro at the bottom and that would just come undone.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Haha. Yea I am tall, around 6'4"... but I ride with pants that go INTO the boot. They go to about the bottom of my calf muscle and have a elastic type bottom. (like what motocross riders wear).

My buddies always complained about going through water and such cause their pants would wick up the moisture and what not. Mine were great till my boot flap started leaking, haha.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

OK. Here's my take:

Over the boot pants:
  • Help keep stuff from getting in my boots.
    Good for Winter.
    Good for rain.
    Good for water crossings.
    Help me learn to ride loose on the bike.
    You can carry stuff in the pockets. lol
Inside the boot pants:
  • Allow for a good grip on the bike (especially the Thor pants with the leather on the inside of the knees)
    I don't loose parts that break off my knee braces. :D (true story, lost a part last weekend wearing baggies)
    Don't get caught on the footpegs
    I think they are a little cooler for temperature, maybe....
    Don't fall down as far if the belt isn't really tight. :blush:
I'm trying to learn to ride looser on the bike without gripping the seat with my knees so I'm leaning towards the baggy pants lately. When I first put on a pair of over the boot pants, I just about slid off the back of the bike because there was no grip on the bike. (I think I was sliding on the inside of the pants)

What should we analyse next? :banana:

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

The overboot pants with a gortex or similiar water proof breathable liner makes a big difference in staying dry and maintaining an even temperature.
I found the extra cash outlay is worth it as they are dry and comfortable in +30C to -15C temps. (this winter has not been cold enough to test cooler temps)

Have also used the THOR MotoX pants with the leather knee inserts, great riding pants, however, they do get wet (rain, branches, rooster tails). Once wet they are much heavier, uncomfortable to move in.

:cheers: