02 520 EXC or ?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

02 520 EXC or ?

Post by Kwi-Chang »

I've got an 02 520 exc which generally like except for the suspension. I have an Ohlins steering damper, a higher seat, hand guards, skid plate, stainless steel oil filters and had Race Tech GV's installed. I don't think the Race Tech install was done correctly though - still harsh. I don't race but love the power of the 520.

My question is this - should I spend a bit more money and get the suspension done (plus add a Rekluse) or should I sell it and upgrade to a newer bike with the latest & greatest technology? I would look at all the brands 450 off-road models.
Have the newer models got that much better?
And how much could I sell the 02 for?

Kwi

Cladoo - I would look at a Gas Gas too...
It is better to have rode & crashed than to never have rode at all.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I will have a new '05 Gas Gas 450EC here this week. If you want to check it out call me 807-6432 or 938-3402.
Claude

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

I would sell it and move up a couple of years. My 04 525 EX/C handles a lot sharper than the earlier years. Once I got the forks revalved by Pro-Action it was nearly perfect. Plush on the small stuff, doesn't bottom on the big stuff without too much deflection. I have ridden a couple 520's with auto clutches and didn't care for them. The 520 engine can lug so low I don't really see the need. I don't touch the clutch much on the tight stuff and rarely stall the 525. If you do sell your bike perhaps you want to part with the stabilizer?
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

Thanks knuckle - I moved the steering stabilizer from my last bike to the 520. I would probably move it to a new bike too. I have a quick connect Dual Sport kit for the bike and will probably keep that as well (if I do upgrade).

The slow handling is one of my other complaints with the 02.

I really don't want to spend a whole lot of money to upgrade (no more than $3K) - so I may be limited in my options.

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Shootouts

Post by Kwi-Chang »

Has anyone read any 4 stroke off-road shootouts from the magazines recently? Or know of anyplace on the web that has done comparisons?

knuckle
Writer
Writer

Post by knuckle »

$3K may get you a couple of model years newer.
04 KTM300 EX/C.
04 KTM525 EX/C. gone!

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

:devil:
Have you concidered a full road legal Husky??
Great Bikes TOO!
:devil:
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

new bike

Post by thumper-darryl »

I noticed in the post, complaining about slow handling.. The adjustable front axle from Rekluse for KTMs changes the steering drastically, and is way cheaper than a new bike. Neat product.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

The front axle thing may just do the trick.
It is hard for me to justify a new bike when I have this one. It does the job and with spending a few hundred dollars I can fix any handling issues. (Plus I want to get a snowmobile next winter and I need to get a new quad as well.)

Buggo - I have my 520 registered as a street bike and have a barely legal DS kit for it (no DOT tires or mirrors). I don't go on the road as much as I thought I would but it is nice to have that option.

Thanks for all the input.
It is better to have rode & crashed than to never have rode at all.

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Rekluse Axle

Post by Kwi-Chang »

I have just got an email back from Rekluse saying they will be making the adjustable front axle for my year of KTM 520. I am going to give this a try along with a suspension overhaul for next season.