Transmission oil ?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Transmission oil ?

Post by dirtyboy »

OK, there has been some talk about 2 stroke oil but how about transmission oil. I'm trying to decide what oil to use for the crankcase in my 2 stroke engine. What type of oil is recommended for the clutch and gears with maybe a Rekluse clutch?

I've been using up my Motul 5100 15w50 oil that I used in my 4 stroke but want to settle on an oil for the 2 stroke.

Comments?

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I use the Motul Transoil Expert 10-40 for 2 stroke transmissions and it works great. The bike shifts better than any other oil I've used. If you search ktmtalk.com you will see a great variation in opinions and ATF will be quite common. Don't you need a certain oil if you use a Rekluse clutch?
Claude

MotorEd
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MotorEd »

They recommend an ATF for the Rekluse. I have used ATF for the past year and a half and my bike always seems to shift great....just plain ol' QuakerState ATF....3.50/L and change it often. I have used the Motul gear box oil and didnt notice a difference. 3.50 vs 10.00 isnt the reason I use ATF....I was convinced on all the threads on KTMTalk about using it. Unless someone can give me a REALLY good reason not to use ATF thats what I am going to use.

PS I also use WD-40 to change my tires :jawdrop:

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

cladoo wrote:I use the Motul Transoil Expert 10-40 for 2 stroke transmissions and it works great. The bike shifts better than any other oil I've used. If you search ktmtalk.com you will see a great variation in opinions and ATF will be quite common. Don't you need a certain oil if you use a Rekluse clutch?
I have been using Motul 10-40 as well since the bikes (YZ250) 1st oil change. Even after drowning the engine last summer in a race and ending up with a transmission full of cream. Changed oil twice on the same day and the trany/clutch still shifts smoother than it did using the factory recomended oil. Works great!

thumper-darryl
Columnist
Columnist

trans oil

Post by thumper-darryl »

Rekluse does not require any special oil, as you are still using the OEM clutch plates. Be carefull on ATF as most have a lubricity additive designed for Auto transmissions, and may cause a bike clutch to slip like crazy. It all depends on the composition of the clutch plates. May work in one bike & not another. A big gamble. Best to stay with an oil that has no lubricity additive. Most bike-spec oils are not much more $ to buy than ATF, and WAY cheaper than a new clutch.
2008 KTM 300XC-W
2001 Sherco
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer
1977 Husky 250 Cross counrty

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Yeah, this is all good information. I had heard about the ATF but thought that was for putting in forks. :D Just kidding, I wouldn't do that. :devil:

BTW, I just started using tire lube and I love the bang, bang when the tire seats it's bead on the rim. :D

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

I use AMSoil in thr tranny. i love it so much, makes my bike have 10 more horsepower, but only in 1st gear :D . i should have tryed atf in the kdx forks when i raced it at racehorse creek!

i don't use anything for lube when i mount a tire, just a couple beeds of salt water!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Oh yeah, for 2 stroke premix, definately use blue marble. I just did a full top end after 2 seasons of racing and winter riding....I have never seen a shinier cylinder. It was like glass, not even the slightest score to be seen or felt. The fresh piston and rings measured very little wear. I ran the bike at 60:1, runs very clean, helps with the jetting...makes it slightly richer that is.

If you want the benefits of Blue Marble, talk to me or Rooster.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Nobody uses just plain old engine oil (with correct viscosity) and of course non-energy conserving?

I need to find a better premix oil. I used one liter of Yamalub last time and that stuff smokes and burns thick. I rely on a richer mix just for ease of mind (40:1), but it still didn't burn well and its recomended 32.. yea right.

But this should be in the other topic, so I hope not to stear it off into the premix talk.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

I've used opti 4 in the trannys of 2 strokes for years without any problems I dont' recommend ATF for the reasons that Darryl mentioned . Any good bike quality oil will probably do the job, but I recommend finding one you like and sticking with it, some modifiers in different brands can react badly with each other. My 20+ years of mechanics .02--WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

I used Amsoil in my old KX, with great results, shifted way better, and MUCH less clutch fade.
There are some crooks out there, but with a little research, good oils are good oils.
You get what you pay for if you are buying reputible brands.
But you can over service your machines though.
As WR Dave said, you just can't argue with experience.
:cheers:
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

Birdman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Birdman »

I've been using Pennzoil 30W motor oil, I change it every ride. My KTM manual specs 30w for the trans, and I throw about 10L of it away every week at work. :banana:
Back to 4 wheels
Raptor 700R SE