'01 wr 250 mods

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
fife
Contributor
Contributor

'01 wr 250 mods

Post by fife »

Problem- I need a new bike but can't really afford one this year as we have a new baby blah blah blah.
What would be the most cost effective way for me to upgarde my '01 wr 250f power wise and handling wise.
I think a steering stabilizer is probably right up there on my list but I'm for sure getting a new bike next year and will want to take the damper with me.
so I will be wanting one that will be able to cross over to another bike. I've never had one so I'm not sure if thats realistic or not.
I was also thinking of a cam either yz or some after market one as well as an exhaust, power bomb/Q2, or something similiar.

Let the opinions flow freely, hold nothing back
Thanks

fife
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fife »

I forgot to mention that my bike is completely stock.
fife

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

The biggest things you can do are to exchange your stock pipe for an aftermarket unit, and rejet to accommodate. Be warned though that many of the aftermarket pipes are very loud. Also, you can adjust your exhaust cam to the YZ spec for a bit more kick, although not everyone likes this mod.

There is also supposed to be a wire that you can snip that changes the ignition mapping and gives you a bit more.

Go to thumpertalk.com and there are at least a million posts on these topics, you will find all kinds of good information on how to make your WR fly.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

http://www.thumperfaq.com/index.htm Go here and check out the free mods section. You can do alot of free stuff to your year of bike if you have a little technical ability. There are lots of guys here who can help you out. WR Dave
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fasteer »

Scott's steering stabilizer is easily transferable from bike to bike, just need a mount kit on each bike.
Bolt on mounts are ready for many bikes , but some require welding to the frame.
Might want to check that before you buy the bike.

I've been down the road with engine mods a few times. Keep in mind that any money spent is 100% gone.
When you sell the bike, the buyer will not pay extra for any mods & may even consider them as additional risk.

Last, if you buy a pipe, please, please get a Q or other quiet can. Loud pipes close riding areas.
Frank

fife
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fife »

Any exhaust I get will for sure be of the Q version. I think the rules for the hare scramles and x country's is 92 or 93 decibles.
Has any body tried the "power now" mod. I'm interested in how much you gain.

WR_Dave
Columnist
Columnist

Post by WR_Dave »

The power now mod increases the responsivness of the throttle off the bottom. It was quite noticable when I did it on my WR 426. I put on a Boysen Quick shot last year and made the response off the bottom even more noticable, almost 2 stroke like( rear wheel steer). I think on your bike you can make the power now yourself, it's not that tough. WR Dave.
" Old Canadian Tire Supercycle 12 speed Mountain Bike " Good call Porschev !!

Kwi-Chang
Writer
Writer

Post by Kwi-Chang »

I think that little trick with removing the grey wire has already been done (factory) on Canadian versions.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Kwi-Chang wrote:I think that little trick with removing the grey wire has already been done (factory) on Canadian versions.
It's already done on 2001 - 2004 models. The 2005+ models required the modification.

:cheers:

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

the first thing i would do is get the weight down. remove that hideous rear fender, the pea shooter muffler and the ASI smog control unit. right there you probably lost 10-15 lbs and brought some life back into it.
I think the Q along with a powerpomb header is a great place to start. oh yeah, for $100 get the power now. i am assuming you have the jetting all set up first though!!!
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

No such thing as an AIS smog unit on an 01'. Not until 05' and I think that was only the 450 to get it green stickered in Kalifornia. Both 06's probably have them

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

It is easy to make a Powernow for an '01 because it has that rubber boot between the air box and the carb. They have good how to on Thumperfaq. Let me know if you can't find it.

I noticed that the bike pulled much better at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle with one. I was able to climb up hills in a higher gear than without it. It's not magic but it makes a bit of a difference.

Do you have the bike YZ timed? Add a '03 YZ Cam for auto-decompression. Maybe take a look at the WR for sale in the classified section? It's already been set up and has electric start. It probably weighs less than your stock '01. :cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

How to make a Power Now for an '01-'02 Yamaha 250F
Attachments
powernownew.pdf
PowerNow How to
(102.23 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

I put a PowerNow on my 01 wr 250f and like dirtboy says it makes a noticable diference down low and for the '01 really helps the starting.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

fife, you mentioned that the pdf that I attached doesn't work. It works for me just fine. Do you have the adobe reader on your computer?