C'mon people help me out

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
srpiasta
Writer
Writer

C'mon people help me out

Post by srpiasta »

Hey guys and gals. So my bike is set up for track and I want to set it up for trail this year how do I make the rear suspension sag a little more so I can touch the ground flat with both feet?

:banghead: :banghead: My suspension is pretty tight as I am a big guy so on the track it's great but on the trail it's not so hot.

Hope you can help.

Also when is the first race this year for HS/XC and where is it and how do I register?

Am I able to attened the general meeting this month or is it members only?
Love to come and meet some faces to the names. Let me know. :confused:

Oh yah one last thing, I'm bringing home a dozer hopefully a D8 to the house for some renos on my track so hopefully I'll hold a fun day during the summer
If you haven't seen the pics check in general under "a few pics"
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

To setup your suspension for trail riding/racing, I'd highly recommend you contact Chris at Pro-Action (403)685-9400.

I too started riding last spring with a MotoX bike setup for the track.
When I asked the same question re back country riding, other club members recommended I use Chris's services.

The investment has paid off in spades and subsequent maintenance is excellent.

I also believe their are other threads that discuss suspension setup which you can find via the search function.

:cheers:

PS: I cannot put my feet flat on the ground either... keep the travel and ground clearance, you'll need it.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

The meeting is open to all, please come!
Claude

buggo
Writer
Writer

Post by buggo »

Srp,
I don't know whether you'll want to sag that far, Your suspension is designed to operate within a given range.
Check out some of the suspension sites, they have great tips. I ride an MXer and would love the more supple suspension of XC, especially after 2-3 hours!

DB, Can I attach a word doc to this thread?
I have a good basics set up guide.
Paul B.
08 250 XC We
Kona
Specialized Enduro Pro

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

Spend the money on big springs that will hold your weight. I weigh 220 without riding gear, so I know you gotta have good springs. Pro Action will also offer revalving, but if you don't spend the money on the springs and get your bike to hold your weight, your new valving will be totally useless. Suspension is the biggest and most important modification. spend money there before that new fmf exhaust.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

I too went to Chris at proaction and my suspension went from arm burning, blister inducing, rear tire spinning pain to awesome in one feel swoop.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

buggo wrote:Srp,
I don't know whether you'll want to sag that far, Your suspension is designed to operate within a given range.
Check out some of the suspension sites, they have great tips. I ride an MXer and would love the more supple suspension of XC, especially after 2-3 hours!

DB, Can I attach a word doc to this thread?
I have a good basics set up guide.
Currently you can not attach a word doc. That is an add on that I'm currently working on.

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Well I have gont to Pro Action my brother in law is good friend with him he put very stiff springs in ( I'm 265lbs and trying to loose figure riding is the way of weight loss last year lodt 30lbs from the time I started riding last year to Christmas. ) Annyway Spent over a $1000 on him, Love the set up but it's set for track not XC so I'll probally give him a call when I finish my winter overhaul. Thanks.

:cheers: :cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

Give Rod a shout at RMR. They did a great job setting up my CRF450.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

stubble_jumper16 wrote:Give Rod a shout at RMR. They did a great job setting up my CRF450.
My understanding is that RMR moved to BC but they were at the bike show in Calgary so I guess they are still working for this area.

Srpiasta,

I'm guessing that your springs are correct but your valving is too stiff. I'd suggest moving your forks up in the triple clamps 5mm, setting your compressions clickers all the way soft, and resetting your sag to 100mm. Now jump into a ditch or ride a G-out type of obstacle and move the compression clickers in 1 or 2 at a time until you just barely bottom the suspension. I use a zip tie on the forks to see how far the forks are compressing. Recheck your sag after you settle on your compression clicker settings.

That'll be your best off-road setting until you get the valving redone for XC but that should be close. Moving the forks up will make the bike turn sharper and lower the seat height a bit. The revalve will just put your clicker settings more in the middle of the range. Try the clickers first before spending the money.

:cheers:

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

The RMR shop is on 58th Ave. SW, very near to Chinook centre, they are sharing a shop with something like "Thunder Cycle". Rod rebuilt a blown shock of mine a few years back, I was very pleased with the results and the pricing.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

RMR has moved to Abbostford BC and is no longer with Thunder Cycle.
Claude

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

Oh, my mistake, sorry guys.

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

Did not know either, they had just moved into the new shop across from Chinook.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

What did the $1000 get you? You should have got a shock spring, fork springs, and the revalving too. or did he revalve it for moto?
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC