Winter riding

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
brentg
Writer
Writer

Winter riding

Post by brentg »

I am thinking that I want to extend my season into the colder months. I have no experience with this and I have a bunch of questions for those of you who do.
1. Tires – Trellborgs, Michelin, Cheng Shin. Trellies are out of my price range, but I found a really good deal on Cheng Shins, about $300. Am I going to regret cheaping out?
2. Studs – Is this a better option than cheap studded tires?
3. Hands – Do I need hand warmers, or can I get by with gloves and covers and stuff? My bike has no battery, so hand warmers are not cheap and easy.
4. Feet – Do you just wear your normal boots with electric socks, or what do you suggest? What about traction, I can’t see how I would move my bike around on frozen ground without falling all over the place.
5. Head – I assume my helmet will keep me warm. Will it?
6. More – Anything else I haven’t thought of?
Any wisdom will be appreciated.
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Winter riding

Post by steve-o »

brentg wrote:I am thinking that I want to extend my season into the colder months. I have no experience with this and I have a bunch of questions for those of you who do.
1. Tires – Trellborgs, Michelin, Cheng Shin. Trellies are out of my price range, but I found a really good deal on Cheng Shins, about $300. Am I going to regret cheaping out?
3. Hands – Do I need hand warmers, or can I get by with gloves and covers and stuff? My bike has no battery, so hand warmers are not cheap and easy.
4. Feet – Do you just wear your normal boots with electric socks, or what do you suggest? What about traction, I can’t see how I would move my bike around on frozen ground without falling all over the place.
Hi Brent,

#1 Get trelleborg or best grip studs with tires that have a soft compund. Trellies are on sale at MX1 for around $740 to your door. Best Grip set up will cost you around $750-800 for the equavalent set (same number of studs etc...)
#2 Studs is best. You WILL regret cheaping out.
#3 Warmers are nice but not required. Several members use them and several don't. Keeping the wind off is key.
#4 Regular boots with thick socks.
#5 Just you lid, close the vents
#6 Check your anitfreeze. If you boiled over in the summer and just added water you need to change it out. That reminds me :thinking:

Get the tires and giver' You'll love it!

Good Luck!

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

6.any more?

Yes! A couple things to remember,

First of all most winter riding is done on warm( relatively) days so grip heaters etc are not required. You do have to be able to keep your hands dry.

Secondly only really hardcore guys do alot of riding from hereon in, so if your thinking of just getting out on a budget, or just for some fresh air during a chinook, you can get away with cheap screws into an old tire. This option obviously has some drawbacks... Lengevity is usually not so good, a consistent level of performance, the odd flat etc etc. There are quite a few guys around that did all kinds of experimenting of this sort... Maybe they could chime in.
PRESIDENT-YAMAHA ANONYMOUS

rogue
Columnist
Columnist

Post by rogue »

steve-o wrote:
brentg wrote:I am thinking that I want to extend my season into the colder months. I have no experience with this and I have a bunch of questions for those of you who do.
Hi Brent,

#1 Get trelleborg or best grip studs with tires that have a soft compund. Trellies are on sale at MX1 for around $740 to your door. Best Grip set up will cost you around $750-800 for the equavalent set (same number of studs etc...)
#3 Warmers are nice but not required. Several members use them and several don't. Keeping the wind off is key.
#6 Check your anitfreeze. If you boiled over in the summer and just added water you need to change it out. That reminds me :thinking:

Good Luck!
X2

I'm with steveo spend the money. A couple of years ago I tried to make some hex head screws work and had a long ride out on a tire with no traction. If you have a set of old tires and good throttle control, a box of screws is a cheap way to try winter riding. But make sure your going to get out of where you ride into. It only takes one log and the screws are gone. Then if you are sold on winter riding it will be easy to justify the money. :thumbsup:
" Life's a trail, Dig it ! "

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I should clarify that I am probably as Thirtyseven describes “thinking of just getting out on a budget, or just for some fresh air during a Chinook”. Nothing about my riding is hardcore. I just am itching to try it without totally breaking the bank. I would like to stay off the frozen ground as much as possible though. :cripple:
When life throws you a curve... lean into it, pick your line, and keep your weight on the outside peg.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Are these the same as what you're looking at?

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.m ... ry_Code=CS
The voices are back. Awesome!

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

Brass wrote:Are these the same as what you're looking at?

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.m ... ry_Code=CS
Yes, those are the ones I was looking at.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W

MtnBlue
Novelist
Novelist

Post by MtnBlue »

I see there is a used set of trellies for sale on the parts forum. You will be amazed on how well these tires work, even if they looked roached and are missing a couple of studs. I sold a set last year ( I think for around 300), put brand new ones on and could hardly tell the difference. Keep your eyes open, as I bet you see a couple of used sets popping up soon. In fact I think rmdra member brad176 will be selling a used set soon. You probably could even sell these after a winter season (if you find you don't like it that much) and not lose a lot of $$.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

I have no personal experience with those tires but have heard from others that they are not a great tire, the studs are just too short. Again, that was something that was told to me and I am not saying that it is the hard fast truth.

If they were $300 for a set of new or very near new I may concider them but supplement the studs with screws for a bit more bite. Used trellies are a better option if you can find a set.
Or
You could take that same $300 (ok, maybe a bit more than 300) and buy a rear new Trelleborg and get some ice screws for the front tire.

BUT,

If you are buying a new (or new to you) bike, be aware of tire size. That 19" you buy for your current bike won't work on the 18" wheel of your new XC-W

:thinking:
The voices are back. Awesome!

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

steve-o wrote:
Hi Brent,

Good Luck!
The BestGrip studs themselves, if you get them via myself will cost you $600.60 for 630 studs and 2 installation tools ($0.92/stud and $10.50/tool CDN). The trellies have 320 studs rear and 310 front. Note that you have to have a set of tires to install the studs into (new tires are best, but I've installed on used tires for myself with no problems). There are no better or more effective studs than the Best-Grip studs. Including "shipping" (you just gotta come to my place to pick 'em up) GST, etc - Total is $630.63. That plus the set of tires sitting in you garage will get you with a top rate set of studded tires, and the studs are 're-useable' in other tires.

Alternately, you can order them from GripStuds.com (US Distributor). They sell in multiples of 100 for $100 USD, plus shipping, GST/Brokerage, etc.

Dirtyboy orders from the US Distributor, you can ask him about additional costs, etc.

D. :cheers:
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

it's not that big of a deal. just get out there on what ever you want to spend money on and you don't have to be hard core. you'll love winter riding, it's a blast!
for the last 7 years, the only thing that has changed for me in the winter was a set of studded tires (i started out with just the cheap screws) and a light jacket. that's it.
this year, for the first time, i think i will be installing heated grips.
it's just 2 wheels and a handle bar, just get out there and ride!!!
I have a couple of home built tires that i was thinking of throwing away because they are in rough shape, but they still work. they are yours if you want to give them a go. they will be longer lasting then the hand screw in style, as the screw in's are toast in 20 minutes if you hit any rock...they are made for ice only. I also have a studding gun and cheap studs that go into any rubber choice. the studs are only 15 cents each. anyone out there want to buy the studding gun off of me? I bought it for $800 about 6 years ago. it still works well, it's built like a tank. $300 for the gun and i can hook you up with the studs too. if a group of guys go in on this, it is very cheap and works very well. send me a pm and i can send pictures and explain.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

crazy2wheeler wrote: Dirtyboy orders from the US Distributor, you can ask him about additional costs, etc.
How dare you talk about me like that. :lol: You don't know where I ordered from. :D

steve-o
Novelist
Novelist

Post by steve-o »

Brent wrote:it's not that big of a deal. just get out there on what ever you want to spend money on and you don't have to be hard core. you'll love winter riding, it's a blast!
Ultimately Brent is right here! The most important thing is to just get out and do it. To clarify what I meant about regreting cheaping out is that most, if not all, people (me included) that just wanted to try it got HOOKED! I started out with home brews for a flavour of the winter wonderland and yep, got Hooked. I guess ultimately most people end up with a set of Trelleborgs or equivalent to the tune of around $750 bucks all in. My train of thought from my own experience was that if I knew I would have rather saved the time and money (around three hundo is what i spent making my own with ice screws) and put that towards the big purchase.

You should totally take Brent up on the offer of trying out his old home brews and you'll be hooked and can make your mind up from there!

Good Luck! See you out there.

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Post by crazy2wheeler »

steve-o wrote:
Brent wrote:it's not that big of a deal. just get out there on what ever you want to spend money on and you don't have to be hard core. you'll love winter riding, it's a blast!
Ultimately Brent is right here! The most important thing is to just get out and do it.

You should totally take Brent up on the offer of trying out his old home brews and you'll be hooked and can make your mind up from there!

Good Luck! See you out there.
X2!! :thumbsup:

AND... if you've skied on fresh powder.. it's the same kinda sensation on the bike in fresh, deep, untracked snow!! :D
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

brentg
Writer
Writer

Post by brentg »

Thank you for all the advice everybody. This is why I love being a part of RMDRA! I am definitely going to take Brent up on his offer and at least try his tires wile I ponder spending real money. Two things I know for sure are that our season is too short and that the ground is already pretty frozen. I was just out at fallen timber yesterday and it was an exercise in throttle control. Studded tires would have been handy. Brent, I will PM you for the details.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W