GPS

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
srpiasta
Writer
Writer

GPS

Post by srpiasta »

:attention: hi guy's and gal's. So I'm looking for input on a GPS for my bike, what are the benifets and con's. Also where do you get them. New to the sport but seem to get disorentated some times in the bush, thank god for friend who know where there going. Just curious.

Also what type of light are you running, I have just a bike light and so far no complaints froom fish and wildlife

Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fasteer »

Frank

~Pussykat~
Writer
Writer

Post by ~Pussykat~ »

to follow up from that thread, I just bought Andy one for Christmas and got it at GPS CENTRAL, go and see George or Gil, they were VERY helpful and had the best prices in town!
*Samm* aka The wife
2006 Honda CRF230
1999 Suzuki DR650
Ladies A

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Rob,

The other thread doesn't mention mounting that you asked about. I have had good luck using the RAM mounts.

Get one of these mounts, they can mount on the handlebar clamp, triple clamp, or just recently I've mounted it on my bark buster with success.

Then you need an arm and a holder for your exact GPS. I found that the 3" arm was too short for my application because the front brake line hit it. I replaced it with a 5" arm and all is well.

Image Image Image

The RAM mounts are cheap. There are fancier mounts out there but I found that the RAM mounts work well. The 1" rubber balls provide shock absorption for the GPS so it hasn't had and trouble on my 4 stroke or my 2 stroke bike with shutting off.

Then add a suction cup and the whole mount works in your vehicle and will plug into your 12v socket if you get the cable.

:cheers:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Here is one thread on lights:

http://rockymountaindirtriders.com/foru ... .php?t=388

I used to use that but I'm now using a bigger light after getting caught after dark. The little light produces good light but it's too close to the fender to shine down on the ground in front of you, unless you are turning. It's legal though and tucks out of the way.

A lot of us are using a single LED tail light under the rear fender.

:cheers:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I have the 5 inch RAM Mount attachment arm mounted on my handlebars and have the cradle and ball which I move from my bike to truck which has the suction cup. This setup is great. I have a very shakey relationship between gravity, myself, my bike and the ground. We all collide randomly throughout the day. Of all the crashes I've had I have never damaged any of the ram mount or GPS equipment. Never had any problems with GPS shut off either...

I also recommend GPS central. They are a great help to new GPS users and they will let you demo some units, etc...
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Dobi
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dobi »

For the headlight I bought an acerbis headlight kit ($90) and an LED tailight (Honda CRFX tailight is $25 at blackfoot) and powered the whole shebang with a 9.6 volt radishack remote car battery. All for less than $175 and would actually work for 25 minutes if you needed it to light your way out of the bush.

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

I didn't read the threads but, go with GPS central and get a Garmin. I bought a GPS map 76cs and it works great. For a little less though the GPS map60c works just as well, just without the huge memory storage. My buddie just bought a 60c and he also bought the Topo Canada map that downloads into your handheld. It holds all of Alberta and more than half of BC.
The cs's have the barometric altimeter, thats why you pay more, otherwise the the cs is identical to the c. However, the cs uses more battery power for this barometric altimeter which only really helps bring in the accuracy from 6meters to 3 meters!? I'd rather have the battery life.

Get a head lamp. Together with a bike light, you can see everything.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Novo
Writer
Writer

Post by Novo »

The Garmins are great per previous posts!

I also run an Acerbis lighting kit and upgraded to a 65/100w bulb. I'm in the process of switching the taillight over to LED (filaments do not standup for long under our riding conditions).
The rubber headlight mounts are a mixed blessing, they allow the assembly to break away from the bike when you, your bike and a tree try to occupy the same space at the same time :D.
It saves shattering of the light assembly :pumpkin: :pumpkin: , however your have to remount it and I'm not confident the rubber will work at -20c.

Also carry a Petzl Tikka XP headlamp ($55) for the helmet. The Petzl uses a hi power LED which provides an amazing amount of light for 60 - 120Hrs of burn time.

Used this combination a number of times this fall riding into the night. Works great and night riding is a lot of fun! :thumbsup: