Riding Gear/Parts?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Riding Gear/Parts?

Post by Shibby! »

Just in the process of doing some shopping for some gear, curious what you guys use and how you rate it?

I myself am looking for a roost deflector (chest protector), as well as bark busters (had guards), and kidney belt.

What do you guys recommend for the chest protector and kidney belt?

As well, what guards do you guys use that work well, and mount securely? Keep in mind I have aftermarket Pro Taper bars.

Thanks for the help!

Q.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I think that the Cycra Pro-bends with the triple clamp mounts are the best bark busters. They never move because they are mounted to the triple clamps. :thumbsup:

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

I have a Thor chest protector for sale if interested. I can send you a picture if you like. Still in good condition. $50.00 and it's yours. Enduro Engineering hand guards are very good as well.

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Alright, Ill have to check into those and see what their like. Most brands I have seen simply mount the same way (with plug and clamp)

Where did you guys pick yours up?

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

My chest protectors evntually brake apart at every junction area and within 4 months are wired together, doesn't matter what the brand. My thor protector that I have now fits nice.
Try flatland bark busters. The hand guard part mounts to the centre bar clamp which is one solid piece. Otherwise my cycra pro bend whackers are great and the cycra plastic hand sheilds last me longer then enduro engineering because they mount over the bark busters instead of inside the steel.
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

What model of THor do you have? I was looking at the aftershock (pretty cheap), and was wondering if it were worth the extra price to get a high priced one. The aftershock was $89 i think.

They had the sweet 661's on sale I thought before x-mas, but the lady working never knew anything about it. Missed out on a good deal as my buddy said it was probably $80 less then he paid. Oh well.

stubble_jumper16
Journalist
Journalist

Post by stubble_jumper16 »

Shibby! wrote:What model of THor do you have? I was looking at the aftershock (pretty cheap), and was wondering if it were worth the extra price to get a high priced one. The aftershock was $89 i think.

They had the sweet 661's on sale I thought before x-mas, but the lady working never knew anything about it. Missed out on a good deal as my buddy said it was probably $80 less then he paid. Oh well.
I just sent you some pictures. Sorry the photo's are so big. Just got home from the night shift and am pretty tired. Yes they are the Aftershock model. I looked at some 661's and they were $150 at Bow.

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

hey guys a friend and I just bought a ton of stuff from Bobscycle in the states spent 1300 US and after conversion and shipping we still saved over 1000 CAD we priced everything out up herer and that's the differnce Very rarely do I buy parts or gear up here. (Look in the closeout section I got jerseys for 9.00US and my chest protector for 39.00US

hope this helps.

Anyone going riding this weekend??

Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

There are some things I don't buy locally, but there are things I do. For having some parts in stock, it is worth supporting their higher prices because next time when you need that part (say a sproket) last minute, they hopefully have it and can allow you to go riding. Also service is great (if you find a shop that actually HAS service, but from reading on here I guess A&E from Brooks is great, and from the conversation I had on the phone with them, they were very helpful)

Other parts, their markup is just too big. They get them for dirt cheap and mark them up sometimes 40-50-70 percent and wonder why they sit on the shelf.

Either way, that is off topic.

Stubble, I am going to check out those photos, and yes, the 661 costs around 150-180, and I swear I saw it at Pro-Am for 99. I should have bought it when I saw it..

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I always get really good service from Walt Healy in Calgary. Their orders come in when they say they should and their prices are not inflated. :thumbsup:

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

I work about a block from Walt Healy so I try to make it in there every once and awhile... I have not had such good response from them though.

From the limited expereience I have had, the parts ppl behind the counter aren't the brightest. I believe I had the owner once and he was extremely well at helping, found my lost part right away, but the rest are so-so. From calling around I found their prices seem to be on par with the rest, not great, but what can you do when their the same. Blackfoot on average has the best prices (but service is the craps, but some guys at the counter actually help you out, oh yea, they don't put you on hold for hours either)

I am not sure how much money there is in selling bikes and parts, but you would think if you can do it well and offer decent prices you could pull A LOT of business from these other guys.

Either way, nobody made any comments on the kidney belt? Anybody use them, and have complains about the ones you use?? Or are they all pretty much the same just diff brands.

Also, anybody have pictures of these bark busters that mount to the tripple clamp? I haven't seen any in stores and curious how they mount. I'll probably just end up buying the same ones you see in stores, either acerbis or factory 909 or something.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Shibby! wrote:Also, anybody have pictures of these bark busters that mount to the tripple clamp?
If you are the type of customer that shops all over town, you will be hard pressed to get good prices. Once you establish a relationship with a dealer they will give you discounts. Walt Healy gives across the board discounts to it's good clients. If you were in the business would you give everyone a discount or just your repeat clients?

Cycra is available from Motovan but not stocked in stores. It's premium stuff. :D Quote the part number you want to your favourite store.

Motovan catalogue:

Dakota_c69
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Dakota_c69 »

I wish a kidney belt and I like it. Mine is from Fox. I don't even notice it when I have it on, but when I do not have it on I notice it. I likek the low back support it gives.
Last edited by Dakota_c69 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______
Glenn.
2018 KTM 250 XC
2015 Beta 300RR
2013 KTM 450XC-W
"Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

Yea, the guys I ride with told me to get one.

He said a few years without one and you'll be wishin you did have one. He's in pretty rough shape from these kind of sports and I don't want to end up all swore like that... even though after one year of riding dirt I notice my hands and knees are a bit swore (and I never get anything like that).

Oh well, live life without fun, then whats the point of living?

Brent
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Brent »

srpiasta, where is Bobscycle, do they have a big sale you go down there for?
2013 450 XC
2011 YZ 450, 2008 380 XC