Riding Gear/Parts?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Bob's Cycle is in St.Paul MN. I used go there back in the '70's and '80's. They always had the lowest prices on everything. I remember they once had a pair of size 18 MX boots on display, they were huge! This is their site, but you would have to contact them about shipping up here http://www.bobscycle.com/
Buying local is much better, IMHO.
Claude
Claude

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Hey ther well I would buy local but the only problem is the price why would I buy a pair of pants fore a 179cad when i can buy them for 30.00us? just my opinion. From any person I've told them about bob's they also swore they never buy in canada. By the way Big Dog no I just ship up here the only problem with bob's is shipping time average 2 weeks but for the savings it's worth it. I buy extra parts through out the year and just keep up stock eg sprokets, air filters, handle bars and stuff like that. hope this helps

Rob
:canada:
99 RM 250 (For sale)
2000 YZ 80 (Wife's, just started riding)
2003 KX 65 (9 Year old son)
2006 off make of a KTM 50 2stroke(5 Year old son)
10 acre private custom built motocross track built by some friends and me
OH YA, AND REAL GOOD LOCKS AND CHAINS SO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I was just at the bike show yesterday and heading back today. GW had a booth there and had some great prices on gear. I seen pants there for $79 to $109. If you look you can find good deals locally. I've only bought stuff over the border because I couldn't find the things locally. It is a hassle IMHO.
Claude

~Pussykat~
Writer
Writer

Post by ~Pussykat~ »

I agree with Cladoo, GW has been good to us lately, we bought Andy a pair of boots at the show and I bought a fox shirt this week for $32 at the store, they have bought all Motovans disco'd stock and have some great stuff cheap. Go and see Jason or Trudy.
*Samm* aka The wife
2006 Honda CRF230
1999 Suzuki DR650
Ladies A

DYsLeXIC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DYsLeXIC »

I saw that GW booth too and I'm making a vist ASAP - I did take a chance and ordered a skid plate from the US....I was recommended this skid plate shop.....http://www.utahsportcycle.com

I'll have to see what the border/tax/exchange does to me!

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

Hey there.

Well if your odering only one part at a time then it can get costly to come from the states. When we order we try to make it at least a $1000USD order most of the time they ship for free also when it;s that big.

I'm not trying to be the mean one here just that I havent had good luck in town for parts or gear be it price or stock so I figure that if I have to wait at least a week then I mine as well get it from the states

:buttkick:

Thanks Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)

Birdman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Birdman »

Well typically I try to buy locally whenever I can, but the bike dealers in town sure don't make it easy. Blackfoot has no time for you unless you have an 05/06 or are looking to purchase half a dozen new bikes, if your bike is older than a 2000 obviously no aftermarket manufacturer makes anything for it, they don't even need to open the catalog. :banghead: I tried Walt, but after 3 phone conversations they could still not figure out what a Cometic top End Gasket Kit was ( even with a part #) nor could they tell the difference between a wrist pin bearing and the wrist pin itself, they still have not got back to me even after a week. GW was about the only one willing to even look for me but did not have access to any Cometic stuff for KTM's. One call to Rocky Mountain Motorcycle/ATV and it was all taken care of, who'd have thought it could be that simple. :excuse:

Anyways, there's my rant for today, lol. :buttkick:
Back to 4 wheels
Raptor 700R SE

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

The biggest problem with most dealerships is that they do not want to spend enough time to find the parts you need and if it is not staring them in the face when they open the catalog they say they can't order it. I have a gasket set for my 300 that wasn't listed in any catalog, I got it because I phoned the Canadian dist. and asked for it, they ordered it and sent it to me. A good idea Birdman, is to look online on http://www.ktmtalk.com/ in the shop online section and go to your model and year, find the part #'s and compare them to newer models. You will find that many parts are the same. For instance Pivot works does not list a rear wheel bearing kit for a '96 but they list one for a '98, same parts! That gasket set I have will work on my buddies '02 300EXC, so I don't have to order another set for his bike when I overhaul his topend this winter. Its just a mattter of taking the time.
Claude

Brenan225
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Brenan225 »

I also try to support local dealers ,they support us by offering cool prizes at the races. But one of the problems of being a Canadian supplier like Parts Canada, Motovan, Steens etc is the exchange rate. These guys have to set a price for next years book late in the year and if the exchange rate gets better we get the short end of the deal. I always check price localy befor I mail order and right now mail order is way cheeper.
Resist, Insist,and Persist

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

well I'm going on a limb here but oh well. How can you support local dealers when they're making 50-90 percent profit? I don't care about buying and then the dollar going bad the dealers can lower their prices to get more business. Last time I checked you will sell more parts if you lower your prices then if you keep them high and hope people come to submission because they need the part and can't wait to get it from the US... I try to keep stuff like sprokets, chain, tubes, ect.... on hand so I don't need to buy them up here. You know youre going to do a piston at least once a year why not buy in the winter and then you don't need them in the summer. My friend bought Tech 8 boots on the last order from bob's and paid 323.00 US when he went to the local dealer to try them on for sizing they wanted 599.00CAD when he said no because he can get them cheaper through the states they told him that was almost cost for them. Com on please, Bobs' charges less and plus I'm sure they make a good profit off them too.

Sorry for the venting but I can't support local when I can barly afford US prices

Rob
99 RM 250 (For sale)

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Dealer markups are not 50 to 90 percent. The only time you get markups near 50% is on booking orders and that is if you buy lots of the same item. If you don't believe me I can show dealer costs, you will be surprised. Shipping costs and the exchange mean higher prices for Canadians. The main reason though, that prices are high is volume. The US has what... maybe 10 times the population of Canada? That usually means 10 times the riders but it is actually higher than that, so dealers down there have a way bigger market to earn money from so they lower the prices because they can buy in large quantities. I don't think I am going change anybody's shopping habits. This has been going on since I started racing back in the '70s and it is not going to change today. Do what you want it is a free country.
Claude

thirtyseven
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by thirtyseven »

Cladoo I agree, personally, though I am tired of poor Calgary bike shop service, or elitist attitudes (read Blackfoot). When you call to the States they are always well informed and your parts get here faster than they would to the bike shop that is 5 min from my house. I only need to get the feeling that a parts guy or gal doesnt give a rats @#$ about a part that is important to me once before I go or call someone who does give a rats !@#

fasteer
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by fasteer »

for what it's worth; I recently bought quite a few goodies at Bow Cycle. The sales-person there was Natalee Scott. She was quite knowledgeable and took the time to search several catalogues to find & order exactly what I wanted. Gave me a reasonable discount too.

If you do order out of the US, beware of UPS shipping. They will rape you for "brokerage" fees & add a lot to your costs. When I buy out of the US, I insist on shipping USPS (US Postal Service). Way cheaper.
Frank

Shibby!
Columnist
Columnist

Post by Shibby! »

kickstart wrote:for what it's worth; I recently bought quite a few goodies at Bow Cycle. The sales-person there was Natalee Scott. She was quite knowledgeable and took the time to search several catalogues to find & order exactly what I wanted. Gave me a reasonable discount too.

If you do order out of the US, beware of UPS shipping. They will rape you for "brokerage" fees & add a lot to your costs. When I buy out of the US, I insist on shipping USPS (US Postal Service). Way cheaper.
Yup, i bought two things over the US (cause they were used). The one came UPS even though I told them to ship USPS, and one came USPS. About the same size, both light, etc.

The UPS was 22$ customs and the other was 7$. Still both were stupid for how small they were, but 22$ for something that wasn't even 22$ to ship. Thats just crazy.
03 Honda XR650R Dualsported

srpiasta
Writer
Writer

Post by srpiasta »

hey, when we order from Bob's cycle they only ship ground US postal service and it's cheap. I agree with the broker fees and suck but if you stay ground it's worth it. And i agree thirtyseven the service and help here is less then good. Most of the time I have to enlighten them on where to order stuff and the proper type of part. I'd rather call the US and have sombody who can tell me things like change up or use a honda part for a suzuki because it's cheaper. NOW THATS SERVICE :D I think the folks on this site have more knowlage then the guys and gals behind the counter.

Just my opinion.
Rob

:cheers: :cheers:
99 RM 250 (For sale)