2002 KTM 400 EXC Jetting?

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
New2Dirt

2002 KTM 400 EXC Jetting?

Post by New2Dirt »

So I took my bike swimming a couple weeks ago :eek: and now I am dealing with getting things cleaned up so I can get it barking again. I have the carb off for a good cleaning and I figured that now would be a good time to check the jetting and try to get rid of the hesitation.

So I would welcome any advice on setting up the carb. on my bike. :smirk:

cycleworks
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: 2002 KTM 400 EXC Jetting?

Post by cycleworks »

Do you have the manual? Theres a jetting chart in there.... OR if it didnt come with we could probably find something to print off here at the shop.... Stop by to see me or pm me if you like. Do you know what jets you have in there currently?
Allison - Parts Department - Cycleworks Calgary (403) 230-1920
2018 250 XCW

cedric
Novelist
Novelist

Post by cedric »

I have the same bike. The stock setup is actually pretty decent. I put in a JD kit and it really didn't make much difference. The biggest thing is getting the AC pump set up to only have 1 second squirt duration. You can do this by bending the fork shaped tang on the right side of the carb, putting in a Honda diaphragm, or using one of the fancy aftermarket AC pump covers. I still get the bog when whacking the throttle open at a stand still, but it's not an issue when riding and everybody else's thumper seems to behave the same (FI excluded).

Some of the guys on the net suggested an OCEMN needle, this requires a pretty big main jet change too. I haven't tried that, I found a good deal on ebay for a JD kit.

I still want to fiddle with mine a bit and see if I can improve the fuel mileage without losing performance.

New2Dirt

Post by New2Dirt »

Thanks for the input, I was actually talking to the gang at Cycleworks today and they told me where to find the charts.

It is disappointing to hear that the JD kit doesn't get rid of the bogging on these bikes. Thanks for the info on the AC pump setup I'll do some googling to figure out the details...

Also what are people using for a plug wrench on these bikes?

TXRED
User
User

Post by TXRED »

Just clean out the muskeg and let her eat! :D
'07 300 XC