smallest 12 V battery

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
vbeisel

smallest 12 V battery

Post by vbeisel »

I'm wondering where I can get my hands on the smallest 12V battery possible as I am making a lighting system for my wife's KX100 that should be pretty sweet if I can find the right size power sorce.

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Re: smallest 12 V battery

Post by dirtyboy »

vbeisel wrote:I'm wondering where I can get my hands on the smallest 12V battery possible as I am making a lighting system for my wife's KX100 that should be pretty sweet if I can find the right size power sorce.
vbeisel,

I went to Battery World (3 or 4 locations). I have been to just off Barlow and just off McLeod. I went in there and asked for an SLA battery that would fit in my bike. They showed me a number of different sizes (long, square, etc.)

I finally settled on a 2.9AH battery to replace my stock 4 AH battery. It's 1/2 the size and still works well.

I'm sure these guys can find you something that will fit what you want. They have good prices too!

:cheers:

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

I found that BAJA designs had a 12 volt battery about the size to fit into my palm however I do not know how long it would run with a light on and no voltage supply to it
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

vbeisel

thanks for the info

Post by vbeisel »

Thanks for the info. I'll check into it and let you know how the whole process goes. There has to be a reasonable way to be "legal", look good and not pay in blood. How long the battery lasts is somewhat immaterial. You turn the light on when you need to prove that you have one that works. The rest of the time you ride and keep your eyes peeled.

Cheers.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

Did you look at Electrex for a lighting coil? Seems like an easier way than a battery.

rooster
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by rooster »

Even with a small battery you need a way to keep it charged or recharge it - the best (and cheapest ) way would be the electrex set up with an ac to dc convertor wired into the small battery- I can get all of it for you if need be or get the electrex from most dealers and the convertor and battery from baja designs :read:
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY HOURS YOU PUT IN. IT MATTERS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE HOURS!!!

vbeisel

Post by vbeisel »

If anyone knows about lighting coils for a KX100, I am all ears. That would seem to make the most sense to me as well, however when I talked to the good folks at Blackfoot Motorsports they told me they knew of no such thing. They do have a battery operated system that replaces the number plate for about $250.00. I was not overly keen on the system they had.

Cheers,

vic.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

I was just on the website http://www.electrexusa.com/ and they have lighting coils for a KX100. I believe that the Canadian distributor is in Calgary.

cladoo
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by cladoo »

This is their address
Electrex Canada
319-36 Avenue N.E.
Calgary, AB T2E 2L6, Canada
Phone: (403) 226 4377

BigD
Writer
Writer

Post by BigD »

I have seen a KDX lighting coil bolted onto a KX 500. Not sure if you could get it to fit a KX 100 or not though. But that would be a cheap source for lights, I think it puts out about 40 Watts.

vbeisel

kx100 lighting coil

Post by vbeisel »

Thanks for the info. You've given me plenty of stuff to work with. Most of the lighting coils I've seen are about $90 USD. The website you mentioned gives installation instructions that look pretty simple to follow as well.

Thanks.

Vic.

Rotary

Post by Rotary »

B&E Industrial Electronics at 444 Manitou Rd SE sell all kinds of sealed batteries. If they don't have anything They could probably tell you where to get one.

Doug
04 YZ250F set up for bush, Rekluse auto clutch, Enzo suspension, RG3 upper triple clamp, twinwalls, brush busters, PN, gearing

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

Here's a pic of the battery I use in my WR. It is a 2.9AH battery (on the left) and is about 1.2 the size of the stock 4AH battery. Now I use mine for the electric starter so you could get away with a much smaller one.

vbeisel

Post by vbeisel »

Thanks guys. As it turns out I found a lighting coil through the tips of some previous responders and will not need a battery. Mike's Bikes in the NE will install if needed.

Cheers.

muskeg
User
User

Post by muskeg »

Princess auto has a real good selection of rechargeable batts for you, small and compact.!!
06 FE 450
86 cr500 ice racer
04 crf230 daughters
05 Kodiak 450 Wife's
07 Griz kinda mine (will not admit )