Goggle lens cracking mystery

New Bikes, Old Bikes, Bike Setup, Bike Mods, Questions, Riding Technique, Advice.
Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Goggle lens cracking mystery

Post by Brass »

Prepping for a ride and noticed my goggle lens cracked, again. I know it was solid when I put my gear away and nothing was near it to crush it do any other harm to it.

This is my 3rd lens to crack randomly with no obvious cause. I even checked my helmet for signs of a crash that I can't remember and nothing! :crazy:

First 2 lens to crack were Oakley and now this one is a Spy.

I use normal windex to clean the lens with a microfiber cloth. What could cause 3 lens from 2 different companies to crack without a major impact?? There must be something I'm doing to them and am not aware of it harming the lens, I just can't think of what.

Any ideas?
The voices are back. Awesome!

crazy2wheeler
Novelist
Novelist

Re: Goggle lens cracking mystery

Post by crazy2wheeler »

Anyone else use Windex (or ammonia cleaner) on their lenses?

(I've never used ammonia solutions to clean my lenses).
Derek R - 2011 40A - #24A

ASORM - Alberta Society of Off-Road Motorcyclists

primerib72
Columnist
Columnist

Post by primerib72 »

Could be that oakley makes spy lens or vise versa.
CR250R

Hammer
Journalist
Journalist

Post by Hammer »

my 2 cents after supplying myself and two kids for years....hope this helps or makes you laugh.

I wouldn't use Windex or any other chemical as the lense material generally has a very delicate finish...unless they are CSA grade for safety. If anything I use a micro drop of dish soap in warm water just to cut grease on the inside then finish with a clean microfibre cloth. Saying that I haven't used more then just warm water for over 30 years of Oakley, Spy, Dragon etc. both for bike and snowboarding/skiing. I had a pair of Oakley O frames that lasted 5 seasons of snowboarding...same with my kids, never cracked a lense unless:
1. you torque them taking them off...you only do this once with an set of Oakleys
2. face plant, I do this more on snow than on the bike
3. careless storage, chucking them into the equipment bag only to find them crushed when you get to your riding area
4. your kids borrow them without asking....read "daughter", Ian is stellar and would ask first.
Hammer
Create->Maintain->Reclaim

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

For what it's worth, I have a 3rd pair of goggles that I carry with my gear as a spare. I clean them using the same windex bottle, treat them in the worst way. They get left in the trunk of my car between rides, so on a hot day they bake in there. I think last night I had a gallon of milk on them when I came home from picking up some grub. But the lens never cracks!

That all said, they do not have an anti-fog lens. Could the anti-fog coating of my other goggles and windex be the problem? If it was I would expect it to be common knowledge and even have a warning on the lens or something?
:confused:

dirtyboy
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by dirtyboy »

I've never used Windex. Pledge, water and sometimes RainX is what I have used. I've never seen a cracked lens unless broken by physical force.

Brass
2024 RMDRA Member
2024 RMDRA Member

Post by Brass »

Strangly enough, I've never cracked a lens by physical force!

Just these 3 in the past 2 months!

Seems obvious that I must be doing something to them, I just cant think of what.

Ricktc
Writer
Writer

Post by Ricktc »

I have used Spy goggles for 3 years now, never had a cracking issue. I just use clear water to clean mine, though.

-Rick